Groups

Recommend A New Wireless ADSL Router

Have had a Netgear DG834GT wireless router to make the house wireless. Since I changed to Talk Talk I have had to move it so that it is connected directly into the main phone socket and now my wireless signal upstairs where the wireless printer is is pants. Finally had enough so want to replace it with a new router but don't know what to get. Believe wireless N will give me better range and seen some Netgear ones that claim to have range of 300m so that should be good but wary of them as my existing Netgear one has not been without issues (having to unplug it or nothing will connect to the internet). Would prefer to spend under £70 but just don't know enough to make a decision at the minute. Any help would be appreciated.

10 Comments

yeah this one here but don't expect it to be in stock to long at that price also comes with wireless n receiver

dvd.co.uk/Hw/…htm

but the receivers also have to be N to get the benefit. We have a D-Link N router and the guy two floors above in noot a huge house doesnt get a stable connection. Yesterday I was kind and found an old router that ive plugged in the current router and placed it the other side of the room and higher so he gets a better signal.

Maybe get a repeater instead?

Get an unlocked BT HGV2700 wireless router from ebay. I have one with talktalk and it gives me a faster sync than my dg834gt and holds onto the line better as its good with long lines. Also the wireless range is better with the unlocked singtel firmware as it has the ability to turn the wireless strength up. Its quite a robust well made router too:thumbsup:

The MTU needs to be set at 1400 on these though as the 1432 that talktalk recomend is not so good.

Original Poster

Waj1234 I never use fleabay as been burn't before.

Everyone else, read a lot about Belkin having the same issues as my Netgear with it dropping the internet connection. Anyone got any opinions. Lots of people saying get a D-Link one.

martinhb;7684671

Waj1234 I never use fleabay as been burn't before.Everyone else, read a … Waj1234 I never use fleabay as been burn't before.Everyone else, read a lot about Belkin having the same issues as my Netgear with it dropping the internet connection. Anyone got any opinions. Lots of people saying get a D-Link one.

I have never had a problem with ebay as it happens and this one was around 24 quid inc del which is a good price for a good bit of kit. Not come across any belkin gear that was not complete cack either.

Only other options are a wireless extender or a pair of home plugs just for the printer which I dont like either.

martinhb;7684671

Waj1234 I never use fleabay as been burn't before.Everyone else, read a … Waj1234 I never use fleabay as been burn't before.Everyone else, read a lot about Belkin having the same issues as my Netgear with it dropping the internet connection. Anyone got any opinions. Lots of people saying get a D-Link one.

never had any problems with belkin myself, it's probably the line itself rather than the hardware being used.

Why did you need to move it after changing to Talk Talk?

Original Poster

Used to have BT Broadband at 0.5M and when talk talk enabled LLU through my exchange, I switched. I had both running for two weeks so could compare. There was no drop off in speed when I had my old router upstairs connected via a telephone extension lead to being in the main socket. With TT get 2.5M in main socket and 1M on extension. Do not know if the LLU signal is just more sensitive or not. This was with my Netgear router and the rubbish one that TT gave me. Have better range with Netgear one but keep on getting the no internet access even though connected to router until I power router off. Been like that on three laptops and never have the problem anywhere else like the parents so do not think its the computers.

OK fair enough, an option would be Home Plugs they send a signal via your mains circuit, I use them, they are brilliant, simply plug and play.

Like these;

solwise.co.uk/net…htm
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …210594
      2. Best advert ever to be seen.88
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread416614118
      4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523435

See more discussions