Recommend a towel radiator that is also good at heating room

Posted 6th Dec 2019Edited by:"ran123ran"
Anyone recommend a good towel radiator.
Whilst i want it to look good, i still want it to heat the bathroom.

Friend replaced their radiator with a towel radiator and ended getting rid and going back to conventional radiator as if wasnt as hot - this is making me wary, but think their towel rad was low budget b&q.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
Radiator size, pipework & system efficiency is directly related to your heat output.
However you haven't said Wet system or electric...

Oversize gives you more heat to room hanging towels on it 24/7 muffles heat output.
back to wall is obvously going to warm the wall somewhat reducing "to air" output.

If you want warmth look at underfloor electric heating maybe?
We found the same when we replaced our bathroom rad for a heated towel rail, saw one reduced in wickes & just picked it up without doing any research, our bathroom is now quite cold.
Having done a bit of research since I realise we should have calculated what btu we required for the room size (plenty of calculators online), whatever it calculates get that as a minimum, i'd be temped to go higher as you can always turn the radiator down if need be.
I've also read that white towel rails give off alot more heat then chrome ones
Mr_Gus06/12/2019 13:15

Radiator size, pipework & system efficiency is directly related to your …Radiator size, pipework & system efficiency is directly related to your heat output.However you haven't said Wet system or electric...Oversize gives you more heat to room hanging towels on it 24/7 muffles heat output.back to wall is obvously going to warm the wall somewhat reducing "to air" output.If you want warmth look at underfloor electric heating maybe?

Wet system. So going for rad with higher output would be best?
We were advised not to go for one, fortunately radiator was ok after we had new boiler fitted, but this was suggested:

screwfix.com/p/b…343
The thing about water rads from the boiler is they are only hot when your boiler is going, and that can be irritating if they kick in during quiet times.....for example night time....I put an electric towel rad in the bathroom over 4yrs ago, it isn't a large one, holds 2 bath towels, but it keeps the towels warm and the room comfortable, when we go away I turn it off, and really notice the difference when we get back and turn it on. What you need to do is work out the size of the room, then find out the required heat output for that, then get a rad that is at least that size in output. The running cost is peanuts, we leave ours on 24/7.
You ought learn more about the kit in your house to avoid potential expensive mistakes.

Your boiler is sized according to your system, likely little headroom, first thing to check.

so basically a mini rad then.(tip 500w mini-rads in B&M may be a cheap for sizing it up as a comparison).
Radiator output needs to suit the room size, as earlier poster said. If so, it'll be fine.
I recently bought a towel radiator from ebay - I’ll dig out the link to the model. It’s blooming toasty - heats the bathroom far better than the radiator we had in there before..

amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1
Myson are a great reliable brand, with lots of options, just make sure you get the BTU to match your room calculation.

I would also recommend going higher on the BTU as you can always turn it down.

A tip: generally white rads give out more heat (higher BTU) that an equivalent sized chrome one due to the plating.

Just go through to the towel warmer section, I can’t paste a direct link from my phone:

myson.co.uk/products.htm
Edited by: "Bluefusion" 6th Dec 2019
What most people don't realise is that its not the problem of the radiator not getting hot enough etc but the fact is that it's output is blocked and cooled by the towels placed on it especially if they are wet.
If you need something that’s going to heat the room, look at stainless steel towel rails. They have a higher btu output. Also they won’t rust if you put a damp towel on them like a cheap chrome plated one will. Have a look at JIS or Reina stainless. Not cheap but won’t need to be replaced in a few years. I’ve fitted quite a lot inc a Reina Artena double panel in my own bathroom purely for heat output.

heatandplumb.com/aca…tor
MattNorfolk07/12/2019 23:17

If you need something that’s going to heat the room, look at stainless s …If you need something that’s going to heat the room, look at stainless steel towel rails. They have a higher btu output. Also they won’t rust if you put a damp towel on them like a cheap chrome plated one will. Have a look at JIS or Reina stainless. Not cheap but won’t need to be replaced in a few years. I’ve fitted quite a lot inc a Reina Artena double panel in my own bathroom purely for heat output.https://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/reina-rns-at908pd-artena-double-horizontal-radiator

I went in that link and looked at reina luna rads but unsure which width to go for. My current conventional rad is 50cm wide by 70cm high connected to 2 pipes that are 60cm apart from each other....not sure if that means 60cm wide reina is the one to go for as it means not having to mess with pipework but its not clear from pics how pipes are connected to that rad
Looking at the Luna radiator, if you look on the manufacturers instructions or info on the page, it says the width of the pipe centres.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions