Recommend an alternative to whatsapp for an old iphone?

Found 4th Jan 2013
My mum has an old iphone 3G on iOS 4.2.1 which won't update to any newer software.

She only has the phone so that I can send her photos etc through whatsapp, but her whatsapp has just stopped working as apparently it needs updated. Unfortunately, the updated version requires ios 4.3, effectively meaning you can't use whatsapp on the iphone 3G any longer.

Can anyone recommend a very simple iphone messenger app that I can send pics with, that a completely technophobic elderly lady could use? All the ones I'm finding either seem to need 4.3 or look very complicated! Wondering what anyone else uses (cue responses such as 'decent phone', 'Android' etc...)
Community Updates
MiscAppleiPhoneWhatsApp
19 Comments
Will Live profile work on it?
anewman

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/liveprofile/id413217361

Brilliant - thank you! Got that now, looks perfect. Never heard of it and it hadn't popped up in the various searches I was making so that's a real help. Cheers
Touch or Viber ?
ChrisUK

Touch or Viber ?

Thanks, but I tried both of those earlier before posting (along with a dozen others!) - they need iOS 4.3 or higher, so my mum's old phone won't support it.

Looking great with Liveprofile though, sent several messages back and forward and looks nice and simple. Fingers crossed they don't do an annoying software update like whatsapp have!
Try Hookt Messenger, for me its one of the best.
pshemek

Try Hookt Messenger, for me its one of the best.

Thanks - just tried it as a backup, but get the message that it also requires iOS 4.3.
panddda

Thanks - just tried it as a backup, but get the message that it also … Thanks - just tried it as a backup, but get the message that it also requires iOS 4.3.

Sorry, that sucks.
Edited by: "pshemek" 5th Jan 2013
My problem is the same.I am trying to use liveprofile.hope I will be successful
jpk

My problem is the same.I am trying to use liveprofile.hope I will be … My problem is the same.I am trying to use liveprofile.hope I will be successful

Seems to be working fine on both the 3G and the 4S that we'll be messaging between, so looking promising! Don't know why all the app makers have suddenly decided that you need a 3GS or higher or you can't use them...sucks a bit!
dcx_badass

They haven't, they decided on a software version that Apple decided not … They haven't, they decided on a software version that Apple decided not to give you.

They're aware of the software versions that each phone is capable of running though - there aren't that many different iphone models. Therefore they have effectively decided that you need a 3GS or higher to use their app.
Try ebuddy xms its like whatsapp but cant call working on 3g.
liveprofile doesnt work on my iphone 3G says i need ios 5
Ah, typical! I've now got rid of the 3G altogether and upgraded my mum to a slightly less archaic 3GS! So she's back on whatsapp - we'll see how long that lasts for. Probably until the 5S or 6 or whatever they're calling the next one is released.
anewman

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/liveprofile/id413217361

my iphone3s suddenly stop sending pictures why?
what about just a picture message through imessage
dont need any apps for that

but would need to be on wifi
Edited by: "sumo999" 23rd Apr 2013
I hav an iPhone 3G nd my Whatsapp is working totally fine..
all u need to do is install d last working whatsapp on ur iphone nd restart ur iphone after installing.
it'll start normally..
tango
how do u install whatsapp on my iphone 3g..it was working sometime last year like October time and then stopped working in dec time.(same with my faceook app) how do I restore them both to the last working time one without affecting anything else like contacts and such

thanks...all your help would be most appreciated..been driving me mad trying to figure out n trying a few jailbreaks with no effect
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants