Groups
    EXPIRED

Recommend me a Digital Camera £80 - £160

Does anybody know of a descent Digital Camera between £80 & £150?

Not looking for anything fancy just a point & click type, something easy to use.

Wondered if anybody's seen any bargins/good deals floating around.

Cheers for any feedback ;o)

14 Comments

I got a couple of digital cameras for sale

Both HP. R937-(8MP) and R742-(7MP)

]http//ww…321

]http//ww…628

Iv got the Canon Powershot A650 IS and I highly recommend it, its an awesome camera, dont know how much it was though as the other half bought it

Original Poster

Just looking at those two links for Argos.
    Can anybody tell me why the 9meg (TZ5) is cheaper then the 7meg (TZ3)?

Pigbristle;4837973

Just looking at those two links for Argos.Can anybody tell me why the … Just looking at those two links for Argos.Can anybody tell me why the 9meg (TZ5) is cheaper then the 7meg (TZ3)?

Its on a special deal price at the moment.

esq3585;4838038

Its on a special deal price at the moment.

If you are choosing between the TZ5 and TZ3 you should almost certainly go for the TZ5 if it is the same price or cheaper. As well as the resolution (which is actually not important for most people), the TZ5 improves on the TZ3 with the ability to zoom in on the fly during a video recording session and also it allows for HD video recording albeit there is an approximate 15 min limit to HD recording due to FAT32 limitations.

Both the TZ3 and TZ5 exhibit high noise and compression artefacts when using higher resolutions and when using higher zoom but this is inevitable for such a small lens.

If you are looking for quality rather than the size of the optical zoom, then Fuji F100fd costs about £150 and the quality is backed up by a 1/1.6 sensor which betters that of the Panasonic TZ series. As the sensor is larger, noise is reduced giving images which do not suffer from fringing or barrel distortion (although to be fair, barrel distortion is really an issue which high optical zoom lenses). This camera is also quick between shots. Remember, the resolution is not the be all and end all and in fact, high resolutions on a compact camera is virtually superfluous as the lens only allows a certain amount of light in. As with most other technology products, higher numbers are introduced to mislead the consumer.

Original Poster

Elliotc, thanks for taking the time to write & give me your input.
    So If I were to spend £150 then you think it should be the Fuji?

And thanks to all the others who have helped.

It's mostly going to be used by my wife, who takes it around to dancing competitions with my daughter.
    So like I mentioned before, nothing to fancy & the more durable & easy to use, the better ;o)

Pigbristle;4838535

Elliotc, thanks for taking the time to write & give me your input.So If … Elliotc, thanks for taking the time to write & give me your input.So If I were to spend £150 then you think it should be the Fuji?And thanks to all the others who have helped.It's mostly going to be used by my wife, who takes it around to dancing competitions with my daughter.So like I mentioned before, nothing to fancy & the more durable & easy to use, the better ;o)

If your usage is mainly for dancing competitions then the Panasonic TZ3 or TZ5 is most certainly not what you require. It does feature HD video recording and a large zoom but clarity is degraded when using large zoom. I have used the Fuji F100 and it certainly excelled in accuracy of colours. As it is quick between shoots it is ideal for the dancing competitions but of course, it is no match for the SLR type cameras. You will need to set the camera to a high ISO rating though for indoor pictures. Oh, the Panasonic TZ3 and TZ5 suffers from horendous focussing when recording video, particularly in high resolution and using high optical zoom - it's auto-focus is very slow.

I also find Canon cameras to be very useful, particularly 9 point auto focus although this is probably of not much use for the dancing. I don't know about the Canon recommended earlier and the details are vague as the person did not explain why it is so good but Canons tend to have decent times in between shots (sub 3 seconds) and very good compression with little noise. However, I prefer the Fuji F100 and a bonus is that this model uses SDHC cards rather than being limited to the less common card used in older Fuji models.

From the OP I don't get the impression that the video side of things is relevant and that the requirement is for a good point and shoot camera.

This being so I'd recommend the Panasonic FX33 here hispek.com/P/P…spx for £149. There is some fancy stuff in it but it operates as a p & s, is very tough with a lovely metal body, top quality lens and is usable by a complete novice out of the box (after it's charged of course!). Has a built in Li-ion rechargeable battery too.

andythebrave;4838965

top quality lens

What is that based on? I've not seen this camera but what are your findings on its time between shots? Li-Ion batteries are ubiquitous amongst digital cameras nowdays, by the way.

ElliottC;4839117

What is that based on? I've not seen this camera but what are your … What is that based on? I've not seen this camera but what are your findings on its time between shots? Li-Ion batteries are ubiquitous amongst digital cameras nowdays, by the way.

I don't think he knows what he said. It appears that the recommendation for that camera was just searched for without any knowledge.

DaveTaylor;4839597

I don't think he knows what he said. It appears that the recommendation … I don't think he knows what he said. It appears that the recommendation for that camera was just searched for without any knowledge.

I own one and have previously owned an FX01, Olympus SP510 & SP560 and various 35mm compacts, an Olympus OM10, Canon AT1, Canon T90 and Olympus E520 and you sir are rude.
    As anyone with an ounce of camera market knowledge will know, the Leica zoom lenses in the FX series (and the TZ) are marvels of small size engineering. It is difficult to find anything anything else to match them, or come close.
    It is comments like yours that makes me wonder why the helpful amongst the HUKD forum members actually bother to turn up. Perhaps we should just leave it to those who don't have a clue.

ElliottC;4839117

What is that based on? I've not seen this camera but what are your … What is that based on? I've not seen this camera but what are your findings on its time between shots? Li-Ion batteries are ubiquitous amongst digital cameras nowdays, by the way.

Typically around 1.5 seconds between shots without flash and 2.5 seconds between shots with flash. Shutter delay about half a second when not prefocussed and darned if I can find any delay at all when it is prefocussed, it's instant.
    Li-ion are not as common as you may think. Many of the popular models use AAs, there are arguments for and against each type, it's just that my preference is for Li-ion.

andythebrave;4840214

Typically around 1.5 seconds between shots without flash and 2.5 seconds … Typically around 1.5 seconds between shots without flash and 2.5 seconds between shots with flash. Shutter delay about half a second when not prefocussed and darned if I can find any delay at all when it is prefocussed, it's instant.Li-ion are not as common as you may think. Many of the popular models use AAs, there are arguments for and against each type, it's just that my preference is for Li-ion.

1.5 seconds between shots is very good - much faster than the Fuji I recommended. What's your take on image noise particularly at high resolution and high zoom?

Cameras using Li-ion batteries are very common. Manufacturers prefer these as they allow the size of the camera casing to be reduced and also they can charge more for spare or replacement batteries.

Image noise is definitely noticeable above ISO400 but you'll still get usable prints at the highest settings and 400 is good for prints above A4 size. For standard size images (6x4) you'll have no trouble with this one at all unless you insist on using it indoors in a not so well lit room without the flash (perfectly possible with the image stabilisation). I'd say that it performs at least as well as any comparably priced or specified camera. At least that's my experience.
    Yes Li-ion is very common but there is a huge part of Canon's range that uses AAs (A4xx,A5xx,A6xx,A7xx,S5is,SX1/10/100/110), Fuji's S series of superzooms and Olympus' superzooms use them too - there is still a choice to be made by the consumer in all of the different price ranges.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866382
      2. word association Game74044544
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2468
      4. Spotify Family Premium share721

See more discussions