Recommend me a lens

Posted 27th Aug
Hi everyone,

I've not long taken up photography and am very much enjoying it so far. I've bought a Sony Alpha A6000 which is great and very versatile. I have the supplied 16-50mm lens with it and am happy with that but am looking for your recommendations as to my next lens.

I'll probably be taking mostly landmark and scenery outside at both day and night for the most part.

Any suggestions as to the best lens and where to purchase it would be greatly appreciated.

I have around a £300 budget.

Thanks guys!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Here's a couple of Lens.

41770509-JC1pX.jpg41770509-JjCj5.jpg
Sorry, couldn't resist..
9 Comments
Here's a couple of Lens.

41770509-JC1pX.jpg41770509-JjCj5.jpg
Sorry, couldn't resist..
Ringfinger27/08/2020 21:00

Here's a couple of Lens.[Image] [Image] Sorry, couldn't resist..

This is the sort of comment I like to think I'd have posted
If you are wanting to take pictures of mainly landscapes and scenery then you'll most likely be wanting a wide angle lens,perhaps a prime one. I'm not a Sony guy myself so I'm not familiar with their range of lenses but have a look to see what they have that is a couple of stops faster than your kit lens and perhaps a little wider. But perhaps if you are fairly new to photography and happy with your current lens then you might want to buy a good tripod and a set of Cokin P grads and ND filters as well as a circular polariser. That will instantly and markedly improve your landscape pictures more so than buying a new lens.
a bit on the heavy side but thom hogan publishes on cameras and the sony is one he likes. Try this article - scroll through the first part. Then you may want to look further into his site ref the options bythom.com/pho…tml

then use this site for prices camerapricebuster.co.uk/Son…ses Choose a lens and scroll down for 2nd hand prices where good bargains abound
I use the Sony 20mm 2.8 on my A5100. I don’t use it that often as I take phone everywhere so capture mainly on that. The lens is exceptional if you want lightweight compact option. It is sharp enough for my needs at good price. Picked up mine used for £160 about 6 months ago

41771288.jpg
Edited by: "D3LL80Y" 27th Aug
This lens is a bargain...

ebay.co.uk/itm…F-g

£106.

YouTube this lens... Total bargain.

Been using same on m43 for years... Beautiful results for all situations including night shots.

renagade2727/08/2020 23:24

This lens is a …This lens is a bargain...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sigma-DN-Art-19mm-F-2-8-Lens-for-Sony-APS-C-Sony-a6000-a6300-etc/224131571161?hash=item342f485dd9:g:4WwAAOSwuWtfPF-g£106.YouTube this lens... Total bargain.Been using same on m43 for years... Beautiful results for all situations including night shots.

I use the 30mm version which is probably better buy if they can find it because the 19mm at 2.8 isn't much of a leap over the 16-50 at 3.5 at it's widest.

Downside of the Sigma though is no stabilisation, a lot of MFT have it in camera body but the Sony A6000 doesn't, so low light performance isn't as good on the Sony.
spruceyb28/08/2020 15:32

I use the 30mm version which is probably better buy if they can find it …I use the 30mm version which is probably better buy if they can find it because the 19mm at 2.8 isn't much of a leap over the 16-50 at 3.5 at it's widest.Downside of the Sigma though is no stabilisation, a lot of MFT have it in camera body but the Sony A6000 doesn't, so low light performance isn't as good on the Sony.

For scenery I would use a 19mm more than a 30mm and I would be shooting at f9 or f11
snoopy1828/08/2020 16:13

For scenery I would use a 19mm more than a 30mm and I would be shooting at …For scenery I would use a 19mm more than a 30mm and I would be shooting at f9 or f11

Yeah, but OP has that covered with the 16-50mm kit lens. They also said mostly shooting landmark and scenery, not exclusively. 30mm has better image quality and sharper corners than 19mm.

30mm is still good for landmarks.
flickr.com/pho…34/

In their budget there's probably not much worth getting.

The Sony 20mm is probably a better buy than the sigma too as there's the UltraWide and Fisheye converters available for it.
Post a comment
@
    Text