Recommend me a router?

Found 8th Jun
Hi All,

First time poster here (Can’t believe i’ve just heard about this site!)

I’m looking for a new router and hoping could make me a recommendation please. There’s so much to choose from so bit overwhelmed but essentially looking for the below

- Flash-able to DDWRT
- VPN capable and able to segregate traffic based on source i.e Set Computer A to go via normal ISP connection and route Computer B to go via VPN
- Decent wireless performance (anything better than Sky’s standard offering)

Thanks!

Steve
Community Updates
AskComputersRouter
11 Comments
If you’re on sky, be aware that for fibre they don’t allow third party modems so this may p*** you about a little.

For wireless, one option to consider may be a separate wireless access point so you can better position the wap.
Edited by: "tech3475" 8th Jun
Welcome to the site. Be warned it can become addictive. Haven't a Scooby doo about routers I'm afraid but if you need help with knitting patterns I'm great.
Its not possible with sky or virgin they won’t allow to use different brand routers unless you get root code id with hacking. But new routers are more difficult to hack. I use sky router with parallel BT router on the same sky network with static IP on BT to get extra wifi range. ie., downstairs sky and upstairs BT router. My mobiles and laptop automatically switches in between.
tech34759 h, 56 m ago

If you’re on sky, be aware that for fibre they don’t allow third party mod …If you’re on sky, be aware that for fibre they don’t allow third party modems so this may p*** you about a little.For wireless, one option to consider may be a separate wireless access point so you can better position the wap.

I was on Sky Fibre and used a Netgear D7000. When I spoke with their level 3 tech team about a line issue, I was basically told that they don't really care what router you use, just don't expect hardware support. If they advertised the fact /made it too easy to do, they'd be getting more support demand when people cannot manually set them up correctly.
What's your budget?

I've got a Netgear R7800 which I picked up for £129 from Amazon.

Was going to flash it and put my PIA vpn on it but haven't got round to it yet!

Works well with Virgin - just have to put the Superhub into modem mode.
tech347514 h, 48 m ago

If you’re on sky, be aware that for fibre they don’t allow third party mod …If you’re on sky, be aware that for fibre they don’t allow third party modems so this may p*** you about a little.For wireless, one option to consider may be a separate wireless access point so you can better position the wap.

It may be against their T&C's, but Sky don't stop their fibre customers using their own routers. I'm currently with NowTV fibre which is Sky under a different brand name and am using my BT hub5A with openwrt installed as the supplied nowtv branded, sky Q router only has two ports and frankly isn't very good.

You can still capture the vdsl login using wireshark, and clone the mac and vendor as I did, if you want, but apparently they don't even validate your password anymore. It would be advisable to use the Sky router when contacting support so they can remote access it etc, as you can't expect them to provide support when using third party routers.
Edited by: "melted" 9th Jun
Ross_875 h, 25 m ago

I was on Sky Fibre and used a Netgear D7000. When I spoke with their level …I was on Sky Fibre and used a Netgear D7000. When I spoke with their level 3 tech team about a line issue, I was basically told that they don't really care what router you use, just don't expect hardware support. If they advertised the fact /made it too easy to do, they'd be getting more support demand when people cannot manually set them up correctly.

The downside to this approach though is that I basically ignored them as an option.

Last thing I need is for them to crack down on third party equipment
psychobitchfromhell20 h, 28 m ago

Welcome to the site. Be warned it can become addictive. Haven't a Scooby …Welcome to the site. Be warned it can become addictive. Haven't a Scooby doo about routers I'm afraid but if you need help with knitting patterns I'm great.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll hold you to that offer for help when I get my knit on!
Van19738 h, 50 m ago

What's your budget?I've got a Netgear R7800 which I picked up for £129 …What's your budget?I've got a Netgear R7800 which I picked up for £129 from Amazon.Was going to flash it and put my PIA vpn on it but haven't got round to it yet!Works well with Virgin - just have to put the Superhub into modem mode.

I was thinking around the £100 but may push this up given the kit will serve for a few years ahead (well that's the idea anyway!). The R7800 looks like a fine bit of kit!
SteveHarp4 h, 4 m ago

I was thinking around the £100 but may push this up given the kit will …I was thinking around the £100 but may push this up given the kit will serve for a few years ahead (well that's the idea anyway!). The R7800 looks like a fine bit of kit!

I did a fair bit of research before I bought it - I chose this for the processor which I gathered is important for the traffic speed when using a vpn. I set a price trigger on camelcamelcamel as Amazon reduce them every few weeks - sometimes to £139 but on the occasion I bought to £129.

I actually posted the deal on here when I boiught it - worth a read as some other routers mentioned hotukdeals.com/dea…297

I bought it to do the same with the vpn as you propose but as I said have not done it yet. Being able to split the traffic through the vpn or not is down to the capability of the flashed firmware - I never got round to deciding what firmware I was to use - see the above link for some suggestions.

I also bought it as I have a lot of home automation wifi switches (sonoffs) which were overloading my Virgin Superhub. Wifi coverage/strength and capacity has been fine with the R7800.
Edited by: "Van1973" 9th Jun
Thanks @Van1973 - that's been pretty useful!

I came across this deal just posted a few days ago and would love to gather views on it - hotukdeals.com/dea…641
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions