Groups

Recommend Me A Sander

Need to buy a sander to do the hall, stairs and landing with.

So many different ones out there though.

Can anyone recommend one?

16 Comments

best bet is to hire them from the hire shops, hired 2 when i done my floorboards about 12 years ago.
    1 was about the size of an upright hoover and a smaller one for the corners. much better than the ones from a DIY store and i work (well show up) in one. done in a weekend
    hss but there are other stores
    see you are in Birmingham, there are a few in your area.
    i hired the floor sander and the floor edging sander.
    Edited by: "boabbyrab" 2nd Mar 2011

adam

I second the hire option - much better than you can find in a diy outlet.

matt3454

adam

That would be Sandler, but I wanted you to know it wasn't wasted.

Original Poster

matt3454

adam

fail X)

What you sanding, the actual stair treads and risers etc or just the odd bit here and there?

Original Poster

greg_68

What you sanding, the actual stair treads and risers etc or just the odd … What you sanding, the actual stair treads and risers etc or just the odd bit here and there?

The walls of the hall, stairs and landing, skirting, door frames maybe ..... i just dont think these small sanders from argos or whatever will stand up to the task.

smithyp1 greg_68What you sanding, the actual stair treads and risers etc … smithyp1 greg_68What you sanding, the actual stair treads and risers etc or just the odd bit here and there?The walls of the hall, stairs and landing, skirting, door frames maybe ..... i just dont think these small sanders from argos or whatever will stand up to the task

there not, which is why you are better off hiring industrial machines

Banned

Building a new trophy cabinet!

You need an industrial/large sander to sand the walls? Bit weird. If the walls are that bad then I would consider re-plastering or the cheaper option of lining the walls. For the rest, a detail sander should do the job.

Would agree with Foxy if the walls need anything other than a light sanding get them skimmed, it's not expensive and they will look 10 x better than sanding.

Original Poster

boabbyrab

there not, which is why you are better off hiring industrial machines

What type of sander is best? Orbital, mouse, palm, detail ....???

Original Poster

The house is only 30 years old and the walls are in decent condition but i will be painting them not papering. Hence needing to get a smooth finish all over.

Original Poster

guv

Building a new trophy cabinet!

Might need an extension for that guv !! X)

smithyp1

The house is only 30 years old and the walls are in decent condition but … The house is only 30 years old and the walls are in decent condition but i will be painting them not papering. Hence needing to get a smooth finish all over.

If painting I'd deffo skim then, wallpaper can hide blemishes, paint will highlight them. Especially in a hall where the incoming light hits the walls

I had my hall stairs and landing done about 5 years ago, was about £100-150, one of the best decisions I made as the newly painted walls looked great.

Can give you a recommendation if you want one.

Edited by: "greg_68" 2nd Mar 2011

smithyp1

fail X)

I was going to recommend Colonel Sanders
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Jury service1215
      2. Decent Mp3 Player?911
      3. What would be HELL to you?22
      4. New a camera to keep track of my Demintina Mother22