Groups

recommend me a sim free android phone

Hi, my Nexus X5 has recently died, 14 month after its birth, and I'm in the market for a new phone, I'm not a massive user, don't need a load of storage 16gb would do. Needs to be latest android, sim free, a similar size to the Nexus with a similar response time, ie pretty sharp, I did like the fingerprint scanner but at a push I could live without it. I'm trying to avoid the bootloop or whatever the hell happened to this one so good build and reliability is a big thing.

Any advice? Galaxy s7 upwards or could I get away with one of those 100 quid Moto things?

Cheers.

23 Comments

depends how much do you want to spend.

HTC 10?

Original Poster

It's not an issue but with the amount I use it, with work phone etc, I'd say owt under 150 would be good. Refurb is an option, as long as it's ok

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/tariff/moto/g-play-like-new/?productId=3a14f03e-5316-45ef-8885-62463b4e1670&planId=&contractType=paymonthly

Moto G Play perfect condition for £69. Bought for mother, father and mother in law. Couple of quid to unlock and you get a amazing phone for next to nowt.

Xiaomi note 4 - you won't be disappointed

Lenovo P2 from three if you can stretch to 210.... had it a week and love it...

xiaomi redmi note 4

Original Poster

Cheers folks, I'm looking at the xiaomi note 4 now and fancy it, just debating whether I can live without a smartphone for the few weeks it takes to deliver.

Or I just go and get one of those g plays for 70 quid tomorrow.

Decisions

Yota phone 2.

Moto g5, can't go wrong for around £150 and I've come from an lgg4

Can't you seek a refund or replacement under the Sale of Goods Act? 14 months is hardly an acceptable lifespan for what was a fairly high end handset, or any handset for that matter? Worth a try.

Ed.Winchester

Cheers folks, I'm looking at the xiaomi note 4 now and fancy it, just … Cheers folks, I'm looking at the xiaomi note 4 now and fancy it, just debating whether I can live without a smartphone for the few weeks it takes to deliver. Or I just go and get one of those g plays for 70 quid tomorrow.Decisions

Just actually ordered a G4 Play for my neice, due to arrive Monday (you can only buy online via O2 deal). Can do a quick comparasion against the G5 if you wish (used to a Nexus 6P myself). One thing about the G5 I did notice today (previously bought one for my mother) was how terrible the screen is in bright sun although not that we normally get very much of that weather! Only thing I would say is that in comparasion to my own or my friends 5X the Moto G5 doesn't hold a candle to either of them so really wouldn't expect the G4 Play to either. (I'm presuming your old phone was a 5X not a 5?)

Honor 8, cracking phone

Original Poster

scrumpypaul

Can't you seek a refund or replacement under the Sale of Goods Act? 14 … Can't you seek a refund or replacement under the Sale of Goods Act? 14 months is hardly an acceptable lifespan for what was a fairly high end handset, or any handset for that matter? Worth a try.

It was from gearbest on a deal on here about last march. I was one of the lucky ones, loads more on that deal had bother with them. It was insured, so I should get about 120 back, I pay first 50 quid and paid about 175 at the time.

I wouldn't hold out much hope contacting them about anything.

Original Poster

cecilmcroberts

Just actually ordered a G4 Play for my neice, due to arrive Monday (you … Just actually ordered a G4 Play for my neice, due to arrive Monday (you can only buy online via O2 deal). Can do a quick comparasion against the G5 if you wish (used to a Nexus 6P myself). One thing about the G5 I did notice today (previously bought one for my mother) was how terrible the screen is in bright sun although not that we normally get very much of that weather! Only thing I would say is that in comparasion to my own or my friends 5X the Moto G5 doesn't hold a candle to either of them so really wouldn't expect the G4 Play to either. (I'm presuming your old phone was a 5X not a 5?)

Aye 5x, it was spot on tbh, not a bit of bother till it croaked and always felt like a high end phone.

Reading about the bootloop issue etc since would steer me away from LG like.

Lenovo P2 and forget all your battery life woes....

Uridium4 h, 47 m ago

Lenovo P2 and forget all your battery life woes....

So true, when mine tells me it's got a low battery , what it should actually tell me is , with this 30 % I will still function happily for ages , don't forget sometimes I need charging though. Absolutely love this phone

tinkerbellian

So true, when mine tells me it's got a low battery , what it should … So true, when mine tells me it's got a low battery , what it should actually tell me is , with this 30 % I will still function happily for ages , don't forget sometimes I need charging though. Absolutely love this phone

​what do you think of the camera I've been looking at this phone but most reviews say the camera isn't very good,
    thanks in advance

barjami

what do you think of the camera I've been looking at this phone but most … what do you think of the camera I've been looking at this phone but most reviews say the camera isn't very good, thanks in advance

nowhere near as bad as the doom mongers would have you believe, or the reviewers desperate to find a bad point with a £200 phone that is embarrassing phones more than double its price.
    The main issue is with the camera app itself rending photos you have taken badly...switch to a different camera app or just install the Nougat upgrade as both will give better results.

It's fine for casual photos but just don't expect the camera to compete with flagship phone cameras or phones that tout a top quality camera as a USP. The camera on the P2 works just fine, it's not it's strongest point but it cetainly isn't the Achilles heel some will have you believe.

barjami11 h, 2 m ago

​what do you think of the camera I've been looking at this phone but most r …​what do you think of the camera I've been looking at this phone but most reviews say the camera isn't very good, thanks in advance

I've actually found it fine , very clear for quick portrait shots, so great if you are after a quick selfie. Took it out to do some wildlife and landscape, macro shots etc, worked well on the pro mode, which takes a little effort to set up the best shot. Only time I've had a problem was at a festival last weekend, wanted a quick shot of the band, in a tent in failing light , needed to set up the shot which I couldn't be bothered to do properly as I didn't want to miss anything by fiddling around with my phone. However all around me people were getting the same results on phones which cost a lot more than mine via pointing and shooting, I need to have a look at the results in detail, but I don't think they where great. Would still recommend at this price though

Pjcity

Lenovo P2 from three if you can stretch to 210.... had it a week and love … Lenovo P2 from three if you can stretch to 210.... had it a week and love it...

​Have had my P2 about 3 weeks now, have had iPhones, Samsung etc all b4, but this whips all for a low price, unlocked & 2 days battery easily & I'm a heavy user, up to 256gb memory card slot is also helpful, haven't bought one yet though lol

no need to buy the £10 top up, ask can you buy a three sim pack for 99p as you already have a sim contract, worked for me
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1649
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525
      3. Important info for Ryanair customers1825
      4. word association Game73944491

See more discussions