Recommend us a cheap Android TV box

Found 27th Jun
Hey all,

We're on a budget and are looking for a cheap Android based STB

Been looking at the X96 Mini 2gb ram / 16 gb rom with Android 7.1.2 it has google play store installed to install apk's. This box works out at just under £30 and seems ok but I can't find any real review of it other than those sponsored type ones on YouTube

The box we buy has to be able to install IPTV Smarters and or GSE IPTV - I think these require Android 7

So with all that said is there anything else we should be considering upto a maximum of £50 ?

Requirements.... prefer 4gb ram, android 7, google play store and must install IPTV Smarters and or GSE IPTV

Recommendations appreciated - thank you
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
Any recommendations at all ?
Depends on what you think is cheap, for the money the nvidia shield is amazing and compared to others is value for money
Yes the Shield is a lovely bit of kit but kind of overkill for what I'm needing. Looking to spend no more than £50 and happy with a no name brand from China but was hoping to gauge if anybody else had ordered one and what they recommended,

Looks like it's a case of spend your money and take your chances.
The mxq boxes are about £ 25-30, they are ok for things like showbox, they take a while with kodi and you have to install the stuff yourself or update even with pre loade
thanks for that, I'll have a google of the mxq when I get home
seen a 2GB box on eBay with a keyboard, it looks ideal for the money

Does anybody have any experience with this one ?

ebay.co.uk/itm…649
m14x745 h, 31 m ago

seen a 2GB box on eBay with a keyboard, it looks ideal for the moneyDoes …seen a 2GB box on eBay with a keyboard, it looks ideal for the moneyDoes anybody have any experience with this one ?https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-X96-MINI-2GB-16GB-Quad-Core-Android-7-1-TV-Box-Media-Streamers-4K-Keyboard/282939156330

Seems decent for the money but with caveats: it has a socket for cable IR receiver but the cabled IR receiver is not included in the "Package included" list (it is assumed the box has integral IR receiver built into front panel, but doesn't say); the wireless keyboard is assumed to terminate via USB dongle as there is no mention of bluetooth support, so the USB dongle will occupy one of the two USB ports; the wireless keyboard appears to be backlit with selectable colours, although the layout appears to be US not UK (not really an issue if you are comfortable ignoring some of the lettering ID on the keys); no 5kHz wireless support although always best to use ethernet anyway; S905W is a marginally cut down version of the previously higher-spec'd S905X (research if a loss of feature of S905X is critical to you); optional nearasdammit same box / identical(?) box is under £30 without the wireless keyboard but with the cabled IR receiver and mention of gigabit ethernet (gigabit spec is questionable and may be a typo / error) at ebay.co.uk/itm…116
Thank you @AndyRoyd (I think you may have helped us in the past because I recognise the name !)

Is there anything else up to say 50 pounds that you think would offer significantly more OR do you reckon that one you've linked us to is a good fit ?
If you use kodi with your iptv then you can get any cheap amlogic box (s905x/s905w, get the x if you need proper 4k support), whack libreelec /coreelec on it and it will out perform anything this side of £100 with ease.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 29th Jun
dcx_badass58 m ago

If you use kodi with your iptv then you can get any cheap amlogic box …If you use kodi with your iptv then you can get any cheap amlogic box (s905x/s905w, get the x if you need proper 4k support), whack libreelec /coreelec on it and it will out perform anything this side of £100 with ease.

thank you for the advice (another name I recognise)

Tbh, it's for a bedroom that will be used maybe for a couple of hours a week

It will be used for the Android app store specifically to run PTV Smarters and or GSE IPTV - it's unlikely we'll be using kodi
m14x7423 h, 39 m ago

Thank you @AndyRoyd (I think you may have helped us in the past because I …Thank you @AndyRoyd (I think you may have helped us in the past because I recognise the name !)Is there anything else up to say 50 pounds that you think would offer significantly more OR do you reckon that one you've linked us to is a good fit ?

From your later post of "unlikely we'll be using kodi" and your earlier comment identifing your researched requirements ibncluding A7 & Play Store: either of the mentioned ebay options should suit (assuming platform & seller credible etc) and I doubt you could obtain significant improvement to justify spending £20 more. If you have no requirement for bluetooth or dual wifi support I would suggest the item you located with the inclusive wireless keyboard offers the best value primarily because a dedicated keyboard always makes text input easier than a traditional TV-style remote, but you may already have a suitable wireless keyboard...
AndyRoyd4 m ago

From your later post of "unlikely we'll be using kodi" and your earlier …From your later post of "unlikely we'll be using kodi" and your earlier comment identifing your researched requirements ibncluding A7 & Play Store: either of the mentioned ebay options should suit (assuming platform & seller credible etc) and I doubt you could obtain significant improvement to justify spending £20 more. If you have no requirement for bluetooth or dual wifi support I would suggest the item you located with the inclusive wireless keyboard offers the best value primarily because a dedicated keyboard always makes text input easier than a traditional TV-style remote, but you may already have a suitable wireless keyboard...

Thanks Andy... You're input is very much appreciated... I think that's what we'll order in that case

Thanks to both of you for the input
TX3 or x96mini 2gb/16gb both arounf the £30 mark. experience of both and I currently use TX3 for Iptv (only because I wanted the clock display!!)
stuartbywater32 m ago

TX3 or x96mini 2gb/16gb both arounf the £30 mark. experience of both and …TX3 or x96mini 2gb/16gb both arounf the £30 mark. experience of both and I currently use TX3 for Iptv (only because I wanted the clock display!!)

hi and thanks for the reply, this was from a little while back now

I ended getting the X96 mini and have been really pleased with it (we use it in the bedroom)

I was toying with the idea of getting a second one for the living room and was thinking about getting a 4gb ram model, in your opinion is there any need for 4gb in this type of box ?
m14x749 m ago

hi and thanks for the reply, this was from a little while back nowI ended …hi and thanks for the reply, this was from a little while back nowI ended getting the X96 mini and have been really pleased with it (we use it in the bedroom)I was toying with the idea of getting a second one for the living room and was thinking about getting a 4gb ram model, in your opinion is there any need for 4gb in this type of box ?

I would say 4gb ram is very much overkill. None of the top dedicated IPTV boxes have it and they are designed to stream constantly. I would say if you are happy with the x96mini, get another one. There are a few on eBay with 'best offer'... See if you can knock a pound or two off!!

I am just about to start working away from home a few days a week and toying with the idea of this, or do I splurge out for a formuler z7+...... Dilemmas!!
Great advice @stuartbywater - thank you

I may just do that then and grab another x96 mini, it's also fully working with my Harmony remote as well which is a big plus so I can dump the original remote in a draw

When I bought the first one I also bought the little cheapo wireless keyboard, the keyboard is 'ok' but the mouse pad part is a little sketchy at times, I was thinking about a Logitech K400 Plus keyboard from Amazon which gets really great reviews with these types of boxes but it's almost the same as the cost of the box itself lol
Edited by: "m14x74" 16th Aug
m14x7416th Aug

hi and thanks for the reply, this was from a little while back nowI ended …hi and thanks for the reply, this was from a little while back nowI ended getting the X96 mini and have been really pleased with it (we use it in the bedroom)I was toying with the idea of getting a second one for the living room and was thinking about getting a 4gb ram model, in your opinion is there any need for 4gb in this type of box ?

can you post the link to the one you bought please?
chocci39 m ago

can you post the link to the one you bought please?

Hi there

I ordered from this one ebay.co.uk/itm…8qg

In the drop down menu I went for the 2gb ram 16gb with keyboard for 34.95, but if you just want the 2gb ram 16gb it seems to be 29.95
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants