recommendation for a good camera for a teen

Posted 13th Nov
my nephew turns teen in a week.he has expressed a lot of interest in photography so i am thinking of gifting him a camera which he would use for school and gain experience

i dont even know where to start as there are so many terminologies.anyone has anny experience of recommending a digital slr camera?

apologies i have not provided anything to go on
the budget is around £500
thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Spend £20 on a second - hand kodak box brownie and £480 on hiring 'life models' for him. He'll love you forever.
11 Comments
New or second hand ?
Subject meter ?
With £500 spend on new or secondhand, in these proportions

Spend £100-£150 on camera
Spend £50-£100 on a flashgun with a range of about 10+ meters
Spend £100 on accessories like a tripod, a mini-tripod, bag, lights. memory cards, spare batteries, charges
Spend £50-£100 on photo-processing, prints

Leaving ~£100 flex to spend on the above ( a stabliser extension rod/handel).
Spend £20 on a second - hand kodak box brownie and £480 on hiring 'life models' for him. He'll love you forever.
Ringfinger14/11/2019 01:55

Spend £20 on a second - hand kodak box brownie and £480 on hiring 'life m …Spend £20 on a second - hand kodak box brownie and £480 on hiring 'life models' for him. He'll love you forever.

And condoms are available free from family planning clinic.....
recommendation is to do some research and you look in the deals forum
how will you know if the recommendations you get are any good otherwise?
splender14/11/2019 00:45

With £500 spend on new or secondhand, in these proportionsSpend £100-£150 o …With £500 spend on new or secondhand, in these proportionsSpend £100-£150 on cameraSpend £50-£100 on a flashgun with a range of about 10+ metersSpend £100 on accessories like a tripod, a mini-tripod, bag, lights. memory cards, spare batteries, chargesSpend £50-£100 on photo-processing, printsLeaving ~£100 flex to spend on the above ( a stabliser extension rod/handel).

Thats a different way to the way I would go.
Flashgun might never be needed, tripod the same. £100 on photo processing, really?
its all about Facebook and Instagram for a start I would think .
Edited by: "snoopy18" 14th Nov
cmdr_elito14/11/2019 04:55

And condoms are available free from family planning clinic.....

It's the gift that keeps on giving....
Ringfinger14/11/2019 01:55

Spend £20 on a second - hand kodak box brownie and £480 on hiring 'life m …Spend £20 on a second - hand kodak box brownie and £480 on hiring 'life models' for him. He'll love you forever.

How insightful.
In the "DSLR" category, you also find "mirrorless" (sometimes "system"), the difference being that the DSLR has an OPTICAL viewfinder, the mirrorless has an electronic viewfinder (EVF) or none.
Depending on technique (and if you wear glasses) you might not miss having a viewfinder - having struggled with SLR (35mm) and Glasses, where you can't see the whole area properly and suffer from stray light reflections, I'm much happier with the screen on the back.
Stability and panning need a bit more practice when the camera is not pressed to your head though.
thanks for all the helpful comments
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants