Groups

Recommendation for a low power consumption graphics card

Hi, I'm looking for a powerful but low power consuming graphics card . My desktop has a 375watt power supply and if possible, I'd like to avoid replacing that.

If I recall correctly, the 8800GT will run fine with a 375watt, but I'm looking for more options.

Thanks

11 Comments

Are you looking for a more pwerful card or one that uses less electricity,There are a few cards that are as good or slightly better than the 8800gt that use less power but if you want a significantly faster card then you will probably need a PSU,

Sorry just reread ,Thought you had a 8800gt,The ATI hd 4770 is a bit better than the 8800gt but uses a lot less power,

Original Poster

tonyg1962;5593914

Are you looking for a more pwerful card or one that uses less … Are you looking for a more pwerful card or one that uses less electricity,There are a few cards that are as good or slightly better than the 8800gt that use less power but if you want a significantly faster card then you will probably need a PSU,Sorry just reread ,Thought you had a 8800gt,The ATI hd 4770 is a bit better than the 8800gt but uses a lot less power,

Thanks alot! Rep added!

By any chance, do you know how much one of these normally costs??

Banned

ATI Radeon™ HD 4770 - System Requirements

[LIST]
    [*]PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
    [*]450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (550 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
    [*] Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to ]http//at…PSU for a list of Certified products
    [*] Minimum 1GB of system memory
    [*] Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
    [*] DVD playback requires DVD drive
    [*] Blu-ray™ playback requires Blu-ray drive
    [*] For a complete ATI CrossFireX™ system, a second ATI Radeon™ HD 4770 graphics card, an ATI CrossFireX Ready motherboard and one ATI CrossFireX Bridge Interconnect cable per graphics card (not included) are required[/LIST]

Ive got an 8600GT on a 350W and it runs fine plays Total war : Empire Ok but with the bells and whistles on low

They are approx £80 almost everywhere ( Ebuyer,Scan ,Aria,Novatech)
    The HD 4850 would be a little more expensive and a little faster but uses quite a bit more power

OP - if you want a very good graphics card you will need to upgrade your power supply becasue you will need a a power supply with pci-e power connectors & i doubt you have them on a 375w PSU.

SO if i was you i would consider maybe getting a HD4670 which dont need a pci-e power connection

Take a look at this link & it rates all the graphic cards out there so you can see where each one rates in performance & then you will be able to google any you like to get a price & see the specs if it needs a power connector or not

tomshardware.com/rev…tml

Original Poster

mrfun1981;5594162

OP - if you want a very good graphics card you will need to upgrade your … OP - if you want a very good graphics card you will need to upgrade your power supply becasue you will need a a power supply with pci-e power connectors & i doubt you have them on a 375w PSU.SO if i was you i would consider maybe getting a HD4670 which dont need a pci-e power connectionTake a look at this link & it rates all the graphic cards out there so you can see where each one rates in performance & then you will be able to google any you like to get a price & see the specs if it needs a power connector or nothttp://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-graphics,2296-6.html

I think I do have a PCI Express slot though.....

If it helps, my computer is a Dell Dimension 9100

LittleRedGuard;5594383

I think I do have a PCI Express slot though.....If it helps, my computer … I think I do have a PCI Express slot though.....If it helps, my computer is a Dell Dimension 9100

Yeah you would have a PCI-s slot on the board but i & there are a number of graphics cards that will work in your PC very well but nearly all, but i cant seam to find a detail spec of your PSU cos to run the later cards you need a 6-pin connector come from your PSU to power the graphics card. So make sure you PSU dose have this extra cable to power a graphics card before you buy a new one

mrfun1981;5594874

Yeah you would have a PCI-s slot on the board but i & there are a number … Yeah you would have a PCI-s slot on the board but i & there are a number of graphics cards that will work in your PC very well but nearly all, but i cant seam to find a detail spec of your PSU cos to run the later cards you need a 6-pin connector come from your PSU to power the graphics card. So make sure you PSU dose have this extra cable to power a graphics card before you buy a new one

]Or buy an adapter cable. Don't most/all cards come with a molex adapter cable in the box already?

2nd that, just by a double 6 pin adapter off fleabay but he still wants something that his 375 can handle not other better but higher power consuming cards
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. That’s Life Magazine Issue 33 ends 28th August2626
      2. Free JackpotJoy Plate44
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2121
      4. Tv choice magazine Issue 3977

See more discussions