recommendation for a router my son can't hack

51 replies
Found 18th Feb 2010
I need a router like the 2700hgv that will allow me to

1. set times for each day when the kids can go on the net
2. allow or block specific sites
3. that my son wont be able to hack (changes his mac address)

Does such a thing exist?

Would prefer newer model dualband or N class router

I have a 2700hgv which did it all but the firmware was really buggy and randomly blocked or allowed people access.

Thanks

1. Misc
  2. Router
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Router
51 Comments

don't know about a router. but this software will do exactly what you're after. just make sure he doesnt find out the administrator password.

www1.k9webprotection.com/

Banned

boothy;7875439

How about making your son do as he is told by using some form of … How about making your son do as he is told by using some form of discipline?

now that would be too sensible :-D

do you mean accessing the router web browsing interface? or is he bypassing specific rules you are setting up?

You'd be better setting up something on the computer like Local Policy, or something that skins the OS so he can only access the File system, Firefox/IE - in the web browser disable access to the options so he can't bypass anything with SSL, block access to the control panel, and the network card properties etc

Banned

take the power lead out of the router when you want him off it

put him on old-fashioned dial up, set it make a big noise when it dials - that'll teach him

just go to your router's setting page (put its IP address in explorer), from then you'll be able to set times, ban certain computers...etc

Clever little blitter.

fragaliciousbob;7875624

take the power lead out of the router when you want him off it

+1

When you force us against a wall we will fighter harder.

Original Poster

I have blocked his MAc address in the router but he changes his mac address to bypass the security. The only other way I think I can stop him is by the IP address and rules but even though I allocate him a fixed IP address it changes some times which means the rules don't work. This renders the router security useless and makes me wonder why they put some of the security features on when they are so easily bypassed.
I can't unplug the router as we need wireless access 24 hours.
I can't install anything on his PC as I can't get access to it.

Are there any routers that do what I want that are bug free?

tgbyhn10;7876460

I have blocked his MAc address in the router but he changes his mac … I have blocked his MAc address in the router but he changes his mac address to bypass the security. The only other way I think I can stop him is by the IP address and rules but even though I allocate him a fixed IP address it changes some times which means the rules don't work. This renders the router security useless and makes me wonder why they put some of the security features on when they are so easily bypassed. I can't unplug the router as we need wireless access 24 hours. I can't install anything on his PC as I can't get access to it.Are there any routers that do what I want that are bug free?

keylog him - easy access to all his passwords.

or buy software which will let you control his computer/restrict internet access

edit: even better:

filter the mac addresses to allow only certain mac addresses you want to access the network.

If a foreign mac (ie one he's spoofed) tries to access the network, it will be denied access.

Why don't you just go at him with a piece of 2 x 4?

You are going to find it hard getting anything router based to block a PC if you can't guarantee that the IP or MAC will stay the same. You could always setup a proxy and only have specific logins?

Original Poster

2 x 4 is sounding like a good idea.

Surely parents are screaming out for a product that will do what I have asked.

Using mac address filtering to only allow specific mac addresses would work but is not a option in our case.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Does anyone know if there is another router that will allow the level of content filtering that he 2700hgv does?

Why don't you have access to his PC?

Original Poster

Babbabooey;7876625

Why don't you have access to his PC?

Because he is a 19 year old going through a "kevin and perry" phase.

I wonder how much it would cost to isolate the ring main in his room. Any electricians out there?

tgbyhn10;7876703

Because he is a 19 year old going through a "kevin and perry" phase. I … Because he is a 19 year old going through a "kevin and perry" phase. I wonder how much it would cost to isolate the ring main in his room. Any electricians out there?

No I mean physically why do you not have access? Do you mean he's passworded his PC (which is easy to get past), or locked it away in a safe? Or locked his room (in YOUR house?)

Original Poster

Babbabooey;7876728

No I mean physically why do you not have access? Do you mean he's … No I mean physically why do you not have access? Do you mean he's passworded his PC (which is easy to get past), or locked it away in a safe? Or locked his room (in YOUR house?)

It's password protected and access to his room is rarely achieved. 2 by 4 it is...

How would I bypass the password on XP?

Change your wpa code and dont give him the key?

Banned

tgbyhn10;7876703

Because he is a 19 year old going through a "kevin and perry" phase. I … Because he is a 19 year old going through a "kevin and perry" phase. I wonder how much it would cost to isolate the ring main in his room. Any electricians out there?

he's 19 and you want to block access to sites? He's not a child.

tgbyhn10;7876607

2 x 4 is sounding like a good idea.Surely parents are screaming out for a … 2 x 4 is sounding like a good idea.Surely parents are screaming out for a product that will do what I have asked.Using mac address filtering to only allow specific mac addresses would work but is not a option in our case. Thanks for all the suggestions. Does anyone know if there is another router that will allow the level of content filtering that he 2700hgv does?

Not really...not for 19 year olds anyway. Younger kids can be blocked from accessing inappropriate sites, 19 year olds are adults and therefore responsible for themselves.

tgbyhn10;7876826

It's password protected and access to his room is rarely achieved. 2 by 4 … It's password protected and access to his room is rarely achieved. 2 by 4 it is...How would I bypass the password on XP?

home.eunet.no/pno…wd/

csiman;7876912

he's 19 and you want to block access to sites? He's not a child.

actually i beg to differ, if he's still living at home then he's not man enough to stand on his own 2 feet, so yes he is still a child sponging off mum and dad.................

simple

Original Poster

Then shouldn't he look for work instead of surfing the internet and playing games all day? :roll:

tgbyhn10;7876703

[SIZE="7"]He is 19!!!!!![/SIZE]

tgbyhn10;7876961

Then shouldn't he look for work instead of surfing the internet and … Then shouldn't he look for work instead of surfing the internet and playing games all day? :roll:

Is his computer/games console wireless to the router?

And yes he should...although parents can help by pushing them. At 19 i'd moved out and had been working for over a year after leaving college.

Alfonse;7876987

lol and...................sooooooooooo adult he's livng at home … lol and...................sooooooooooo adult he's livng at home :roll:n1ps, do you live with M n D?

He is a grown adult,he should be either paying his way or out on his ear for disrespecting his parents

I lived with parents up until I was 17 when I left to join the army,which was 20 years ago,I have never returned

Yourself?

boothy;7877023

He is a grown adult,he should be either paying his way or out on his ear … He is a grown adult,he should be either paying his way or out on his ear for disrespecting his parentsI lived with parents up until I was 17 when I left to join the army,which was 20 years ago,I have never returnedYourself?

not an adult until he's left home, no life experience still hanging on apron strings

well left home at 18, married with house and kids blah blah blah

Original Poster

electriclinux;7877002

http://www.darrenkitchen.net/cracking-wpa-with-cowpatty-45http://lifehacker.com/5309695/wep-cracking-redux-beyond-the-command-linehttp://lifehacker.com/5459822/crack-a-wi+fi-networks-wep-password-with-backtrack-the-fancy-video-version

Thanks for the links, lots of interesting articles there.

Generally I would say you might be looking at this from the wrong angle, (and something similar has been said above).

If you want to block him, don't try to block just him.
Set your router to block EVERYONE by default, and then only ALLOW the MAC address of your PC, and only allow his during certain times.
Oh, and get the 2x4 ready as well...

Putting a curfew on a 19 year old sounds a little sad, I think he needs to get out more?

I went through this phase but it was around 16/17 for 6 months or so. It soon disappeared when I discovered girls, and all the nice things you can do with them! Luckily just before I turned 18 I managed to move out, now I barely ever have time to use the internet anyway!

Alfonse;7876958

actually i beg to differ, if he's still living at home then he's not man … actually i beg to differ, if he's still living at home then he's not man enough to stand on his own 2 feet, so yes he is still a child sponging off mum and dad................. simple

+1

No offence, but people like you make me laugh. Your kid obviously has no respect for you what so ever.

edit; didn't read the whole thread, seems I'm not the only one with a similar opinion.

itv.com/lif…tml

Original Poster

Jelly;7877552

No offence, but people like you make me laugh. Your kid obviously has no … No offence, but people like you make me laugh. Your kid obviously has no respect for you what so ever.edit; didn't read the whole thread, seems I'm not the only one with a similar opinion.http://www.itv.com/lifestyle/jeremykyle/beaguest/default.html

Tell me something I don't know. He is still my son.

Funder;7877142

Generally I would say you might be looking at this from the wrong angle, … Generally I would say you might be looking at this from the wrong angle, (and something similar has been said above).If you want to block him, don't try to block just him.Set your router to block EVERYONE by default, and then only ALLOW the MAC address of your PC, and only allow his during certain times.Oh, and get the 2x4 ready as well...

he has stated this is not an option,

Could you not buy a new wireless access point and plug that into your router through an ethernet port. That would then give it a static ip address to the wireless access point which you could apply filtering to. Then change the wireless key on your original router and not give him access. Then he will have it own wireless access point which you can restrict down and no matter what ip mac address he signs onto the second wireless network is restricted at your router level.

Just a thought .... :whistling:

How does your son connect? wireless or wired?

tgbyhn10;7877613

Tell me something I don't know. He is still my son.

exactly, my father has problems with my sister in teh same position so i understand where you are coming from

Banned

Wow I used to pull the battery out to reset the password on my step dad's computer, obviously he had limited powers being a step dad. I was 14-16 though and just went and bought my own computer and then paid for my own internet, problem solved, but that was back in the dial up days.

As above block all MAC's only allow yours.

and Vibeone you would be happy for your dad to access your personal computer? he has no right.

If hes connecting wirelessly, change the encryption password and make sure its not using WEP (if possible use WPA2). If hes connecting via a wired connection just unplug his connection.

And change the router admin password to stop him accessing it again.

You could also change to Open DNS which has disallow lists.

sy278;7878080

If hes connecting wirelessly, change the encryption password and make … If hes connecting wirelessly, change the encryption password and make sure its not using WEP (if possible use WPA2). If hes connecting via a wired connection just unplug his connection.

think the idea is he limits the sites that can be accessed so he can get on to certain sites such as s1jobs.co.uk
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition47382
    2. Win free gin for a year88
    3. Win a short break for two at our hotel of the year: the Pointer, Bucks @ Su…44
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 42 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1414

See more discussions