Recommendation for printer which will use compatible cartridges without problem. Thanks.

Found 12th Jun
Hi

Could anyone suggest a printer they have successful experience of using compatible cartridges with .

I only want to do basic printing, not photos etc,.

If someone could suggest the printer could they also mention where they have got successful compatible cartridges to work with it.

I've had problems using compatible cartridges with both epson and hp printers.

Thanks for any help.
Community Updates
AskComputers
23 Comments
Me to. Never worth the messing about. Get hp with instant ink. We managed 8 months free then we will pay £1.99 per month so £24 a year. No problems. Can cancel at any time plus you get months to try it out for free.
Thanks for suggestion.
What does £1.99 a month allow you to print? Thanks.
White
Currys pc world £29.99 plus 3 months free HP instant ink
black
Currys pc world £39.99 plus 3 months free HP instant ink
I’ve got similar to the black one, easy to install and wireless, it’s a bit noisy and quite heavy to lift.
Instant ink is the way forward, HP monitor your ink usage and dispatch out 4 new cartridges before they run out (black and 3 colours) Different monthly subscriptions are available. You can get 15 pages per month free, £1.99 for 50 pages per month etc
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 12th Jun
Thanks.
The unused pages roll over for 1 month to in the paying period not the free trial. Set the free trial at more than you will use then drop back to £1.99 when you start paying. Get the free codes to. You get some online by looking. One from someone who is already a instant ink subscriber. I manged 8 months free. Done my nut messaging with ink cartridges and compatibles. Not now though
Edited by: "wayners" 12th Jun
I find the idea of instant ink awfully restrictive, even if I probably won't use a lot of pages per month. If you only require document printing, then get a monochrome laser printer.
I have HP Envy 5534, used the Tesco compatible 301's usually, and also just got the Asda one, both work fine.
Hows it restrictive? If you go over they charge you £1 or something for another 20 pages. You can see the page print history. Mine reads 39 pages in February. March was 22. April 88. Think the £1.99 is right for me and I don't care if I go over as cheap as chips. Lazer is silly money for cartridges but do last ages though, but I can't see the logic in buying lazer
Will this work if you only print photos on proper photo paper?
wayners27 m ago

Hows it restrictive? If you go over they charge you £1 or something for …Hows it restrictive? If you go over they charge you £1 or something for another 20 pages. You can see the page print history. Mine reads 39 pages in February. March was 22. April 88. Think the £1.99 is right for me and I don't care if I go over as cheap as chips. Lazer is silly money for cartridges but do last ages though, but I can't see the logic in buying lazer

£15 the cheapest ricoh B&W laser seen on this site. Ricohs normally go on offer for about £20-£30 so it sometimes cheaper just to buy a laser and bin it once the cartridge has run out. Should easily get a couple of years worth of light usage out of a laser.

Issue with inkjets is the massive wastage due to nozzle cleaning after being left for a while. No idea why they haven't fixed this issue but I guess mostly to do with profits.

Also there really should be a ink per copy effeciency rating on each printer. Only then will people realise how much they're being ripped off
kester7611 m ago

£15 the cheapest ricoh B&W laser seen on this site. Ricohs normally go on …£15 the cheapest ricoh B&W laser seen on this site. Ricohs normally go on offer for about £20-£30 so it sometimes cheaper just to buy a laser and bin it once the cartridge has run out. Should easily get a couple of years worth of light usage out of a laser. Issue with inkjets is the massive wastage due to nozzle cleaning after being left for a while. No idea why they haven't fixed this issue but I guess mostly to do with profits.Also there really should be a ink per copy effeciency rating on each printer. Only then will people realise how much they're being ripped off

I've never had a issue with hp because heads and ink are all in one. Any trouble hp will send a new cartridge with head. You can easily remove and clean head. hp includes a pre paid envelope to recycle cartridge to so better than throwing printer. This is one we are never going to agree on as couldn't convince a mate either and he bought a laser for £195.
Haven't tried an inkjet in years, but if you're just printing documents then laser will give the best quality prints compared to the inkjet. You can get a long lasting black n white setup for £30-45 or more if you want a duplex MFP.

Either way a laser is a better investment than getting stuck into the HP ecosystem.
OP, if you really only want to do basic printing, bank statements, invoices, boarding passes, emails etc then HP printers will suffice, just make sure you buy one with xxxxxx month’s free ink promotion (usually shown on the outside of the box).
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 12th Jun
kester761 h, 21 m ago

£15 the cheapest ricoh B&W laser seen on this site. Ricohs normally go on …£15 the cheapest ricoh B&W laser seen on this site. Ricohs normally go on offer for about £20-£30 so it sometimes cheaper just to buy a laser and bin it once the cartridge has run out. Should easily get a couple of years worth of light usage out of a laser. Issue with inkjets is the massive wastage due to nozzle cleaning after being left for a while. No idea why they haven't fixed this issue but I guess mostly to do with profits.Also there really should be a ink per copy effeciency rating on each printer. Only then will people realise how much they're being ripped off

A few years back, the company I worked for, realised it was cheaper to buy a new printer than replace the toner cartridges, I think just about every employee there must have taken home an OKI laser printer. Crazy business model.
wayners1 h, 22 m ago

I've never had a issue with hp because heads and ink are all in one. Any …I've never had a issue with hp because heads and ink are all in one. Any trouble hp will send a new cartridge with head. You can easily remove and clean head. hp includes a pre paid envelope to recycle cartridge to so better than throwing printer. This is one we are never going to agree on as couldn't convince a mate either and he bought a laser for £195.

I guess it all depends on how often you print, a lot of laser users such as myself have had instances where you had to print something quickly but just couldn't get it to print as the nozzles or ink had dried up.
I print the odd things for friends and neighbours ect just to help. Library is also and option if local and open plus online services for about £2.50 you can get stuff printed and posted to you. I understand though as sometimes printers sit for months doing nothing and that's them done for
I used to have an HP printer , and also use one at work , never bought genuine cartridges for either of them or had any problems . Have a canon pixma now, again compatible ink cartridges from eBay , just ordered another lot of 15 ( 4 full sets , as they have a black for pictures and one for print ) . Delivered for £3.99 . We have been printing a lot , but I'm guessing this will ease up now as my daughter is about to graduate . £3.99 's worth will last us months though.
I’ve a canon 5250 (quite an old model now). Does everything (colour, b&w, duplex etc). Always buy compatible inks of eBay. Last ones delivered about a week ago - 3 full sets of 5 inks for £6.30 delivered
If you don't need colour get a cheap mono laser. Considerably cheaper to run and easier to refill with 3rd party ink.
I have an Epson xp 245 with compatibles from amazon. Works a treat and cost me about £8 for a pack of inks it’s had a good amount of use and works really well
As somebody who regularly prints 100 pages per week, I have used Canon Pixma printers for the last 4 years.

There is a company called Colour Direct who sell on Amazon.

I have used their cartridges for at least a few years with no issues whatsoever.

The print quality is always good, even on draft quality.

I currently have a Canon MG 5750.

This is currently £99 ish.

You can get 1 set of cartridges as an add on for as little as £4.99.

2 sets of cartridges is £15.99, but buy more sets and they become cheaper.
Thanks for all the replies. I might try the mono laser route.
Thanks again for all the help.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions