Recommendation on a dehumidifier please

Posted 28th Oct
Hi
I require a dehumidifier for a 2 bedroom bungalow (five rooms in total).
I have read online to try and understand a good dehumidifier to buy but am having trouble choosing one.
The heating is never really on, so during the daytime I expect the inside temperature to be around 15 cels and during the night, well, maybe 6 cels (I don't know). As Winter creeps in I expect the temperature to be less and of course the heating on more, but not too much more (can't afford it).
Rather than buy a humidifier and move it around each room, it would be nice to buy a design which allows me to leave it in the hallway and from that location it is powerful enough to reach each corner of the bungalow.
I've seen mini dehumidifiers from around £30 to larger ones that cost £300.

Based on my needs can anyone make a suitable recommendation please?
I wish not to overpay but if there is a particular one that is very good as its job but costs a little more then it might be a wise buy.
Thank you in advance.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
Meaco 20L is the best. I have one in my hallway for whole 3 bedroom 2 storey house since 2017. It’s been running 24/7 and it only dehumidify when my house humidity level goes above 55%.

Keep rooms door open and it will work it magic
Edited by: "minhp" 28th Oct
You'll need an industrial one to do the whole bungalow.
I bought at EcoAir DD122 a few year back and it's been brilliant.
john.hostFy628/10/2019 13:30

You'll need an industrial one to do the whole bungalow.

agreed

typical consumer models will struggle to do a whole bungalow, regardless of what "m3" rating they put on them. just won't get the airflow.
adamspencer9528/10/2019 14:11

agreedtypical consumer models will struggle to do a whole bungalow, …agreedtypical consumer models will struggle to do a whole bungalow, regardless of what "m3" rating they put on them. just won't get the airflow.

Very true, something I learnt myself. You need big power with a lot of input and output vents, a general household one will NOT do it, know matter what it says it can do.
Thanks for your responses.

The Meaco 20L looks nice but over my price range but thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping for something more around the £150 mark if doable.
The EcoAir DD122 is the forerunner so far.

I appreciate your advice. I clearly cannot afford an industrial strength dehumidifier so what is best, and how to use it, to remove condensation and black spots that occasionally appear? Buy small one and place it in each room for an hour, or a bigger one and place it at the middle point between the two most troublesome rooms (bathroom and bedroom)?

Thanks.
nad1228/10/2019 17:04

Thanks for your responses.The Meaco 20L looks nice but over my price range …Thanks for your responses.The Meaco 20L looks nice but over my price range but thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping for something more around the £150 mark if doable.The EcoAir DD122 is the forerunner so far.I appreciate your advice. I clearly cannot afford an industrial strength dehumidifier so what is best, and how to use it, to remove condensation and black spots that occasionally appear? Buy small one and place it in each room for an hour, or a bigger one and place it at the middle point between the two most troublesome rooms (bathroom and bedroom)?Thanks.

If I were you I'd buy 2 or maybe 3 of these and spread around your home if you can't afford a industrial one.

ebuyer.com/731…009
Ecoair D122 is very good easy to move from room to room and works well. Costs close to £150
Edited by: "duncan5112" 28th Oct
I see the EcoAir D122FW is now known as the EcoAir DD1 Classic Mk5. Yes, I have read elsewhere that the Mk5 is a good one.

I see the Mk5 has the option to come with an Ioniser - is this Ioniser worth the extra cost?

Thanks for your contributions.
Edited by: "nad12" 29th Oct
john.hostFy628/10/2019 18:16

If I were you I'd buy 2 or maybe 3 of these and spread around your home if …If I were you I'd buy 2 or maybe 3 of these and spread around your home if you can't afford a industrial one.https://www.ebuyer.com/731424-vida-10l-dehumidifier-xeol10-xe009

agreed (again)
Taking a read of the specs (like I know what's what), I see the Ebac and an equivalent Meaco (Meaco Platinum 12L) are both compressor types but the EcoAir is a Desiccant. I haven't ruled out the cheaper Vida 10L and buying multiple of them, however, ideally, I would like just single dehumidifier but it to be a good (£150ish) one.

Which type is better for me my needs?

appliancesdirect.co.uk/p_d…asp

appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/m…BwE

appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/2…50e
nad1229/10/2019 12:42

Taking a read of the specs (like I know what's what), I see the Ebac and …Taking a read of the specs (like I know what's what), I see the Ebac and an equivalent Meaco (Meaco Platinum 12L) are both compressor types but the EcoAir is a Desiccant.Which type is better for me my needs?https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p_dd122fw-simple_ecoair-dd122fwsimple-dehumidifier/version.asphttps://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/meaco12le/meaco-meaco12le-dehumidifier?refsource=apadwords&mkwid=sBWnAK1I0_dc&pcrid=293410801408&product=MEACO12LE&pgrid=61609808369&ptaid=aud-645616597158:pla-446645468107&channel=search&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItYvKtbzB5QIVxKsYCh1gLgJREAYYASABEgLpLPD_BwEhttps://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/2250e/ebac-2250e#/specs

both get the job done

a good dessicant uses slightly less energy than a compressor type.

if using in normal room temp (15-25) probably won't be much between them. in cold temperatures a dessicant is better.
Edited by: "adamspencer95" 29th Oct
I only have the heating on in the morning for an hour and in the evening for an hour, so two hours each day as it gets expensive otherwise. Therefore the average room temperature during the winter months is about 16 cels and throughout the night about, I don't know, 6 cels. When I put on the temperature it is set to reach 20 cels, so twice a day it reaches 20 cels.

With all said which is better for me? I don't need fancy gadgets to it. I just need to it switch on, work well, and be robust so to last.
Out of interest, when should I look to have the dehumidifier running? Two hours each morning, on permanently, etc..?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants