Recommendation please: good value android mobile

Posted 30th AugEdited by:"semiartificial"
Hello Mr Switch and anyone else who knows the market! :-)

Although I am not a 'power' user (gaming) I was using a Moto X Play until it fell out of my pocket last New Year’s Eve getting out of the car (didn’t notice) and was run over. Some one gave me an old HTC One, but it keeps switching off, the battery is poor and the camera is terrible/faulty in low light.

I have a credit of £500 with Amazon (voucher for 40 years service with my company), so want to buy from Amazon ... but please don’t try to recommend the best phone for £499, I’d prefer to spend half of that!

I don’t know the market so recommendations would be much appreciated

Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
amazon.co.uk/Mot…V7/

+ Motorola (you are used to it + it will be close to stock Android)
+ Great display with 90hz refresh.
+ 5G compatibility (ignore the bad reviews, support for Three will come).
+ powerful processor for the price, whether you use it for gaming or not. Futureproof.
+ Large battery capacity.

It is discounted currently but I would say even for £300 it is a lot of phone for the money. Another optionsfor similar prices is the Realme X50 5G
Redmi 9, 4/64GB for £135 here
or Redmi Note 9, 4/128GB for £170 here
Both on Amazon, both great phones and big battery 5020mAh
Wish I had a pound for every time this was asked
Using the Redmi note 9 pro.... Cost £219. Brilliant value in every way. Even got a few watch from mi.com/uk
Thank you all for your suggestions, it’s a great help to get me started and I'll look into all of them.

Edit: I'm a 'Toyota' kind of buyer, nothing flashy or 'top end' but happy to spend a bit more to get something that’s reliable and will last (e.g. I've had my Corolla Verso for 15 years now).
I'm immmediately put off when I read comments about a phone's 'well documented Wi-Fi issues', for example
Edited by: "semiartificial" 31st Aug
eslick30/08/2020 17:52

Wish I had a pound for every time this was asked

Sorry, I see this got the most likes ... I'm not very familiar with the site ... I did try to look back through the previous asks, but didn’t see a way to filter, e.g. on 'mobile' ... is there a way to do that?
semiartificial31/08/2020 09:57

Sorry, I see this got the most likes ... I'm not very familiar with the …Sorry, I see this got the most likes ... I'm not very familiar with the site ... I did try to look back through the previous asks, but didn’t see a way to filter, e.g. on 'mobile' ... is there a way to do that?

In discussions, there's threads like this popping up all the time, especially for laptops, TVs and smartphones.

I don't mind it as it's quite a volatile market, new phones coming out all the time, prices fluctuating a lot. So even older threads with answers your looking for might be out of date information.

Don't sweat it, anyone who doesn't want to help is free to ignore it.

The only phone I'd discount in the recommendations is the Redmi 9 (because it's storage is eMMC rather than the far superior UFS2.1)
spruceyb31/08/2020 10:19

In discussions, there's threads like this popping up all the time, …In discussions, there's threads like this popping up all the time, especially for laptops, TVs and smartphones.I don't mind it as it's quite a volatile market, new phones coming out all the time, prices fluctuating a lot. So even older threads with answers your looking for might be out of date information.Don't sweat it, anyone who doesn't want to help is free to ignore it.The only phone I'd discount in the recommendations is the Redmi 9 (because it's storage is eMMC rather than the far superior UFS2.1)

Thank you.
I'm hoping to clue myself up, create a 'shortlist', and watch for a good deal but yes, I did a little research before posting and it seems to be fast changing as you say.
I must admit I have already been put off that phone because of comments about WiFi issues.
I didn’t really like the Motorola customisation on the phone I had, but seems that Xiaomi are much worse?
semiartificial31/08/2020 09:57

Sorry, I see this got the most likes ... I'm not very familiar with the …Sorry, I see this got the most likes ... I'm not very familiar with the site ... I did try to look back through the previous asks, but didn’t see a way to filter, e.g. on 'mobile' ... is there a way to do that?

Use the search, this question or similar gets asked 3 or 4 times a week sometimes a lot more. Of course that’s what this part of the site is for but reality is those that know a lot about this sort of thing will stop answering.

The search is rubbish to be honest but out in something like phone or smart phone and wade through the answers and you should get some good advice.
semiartificial31/08/2020 10:32

Thank you.I'm hoping to clue myself up, create a 'shortlist', and watch …Thank you.I'm hoping to clue myself up, create a 'shortlist', and watch for a good deal but yes, I did a little research before posting and it seems to be fast changing as you say.I must admit I have already been put off that phone because of comments about WiFi issues.I didn’t really like the Motorola customisation on the phone I had, but seems that Xiaomi are much worse?

I believe it's the Redmi Note 9S and Pro that have had some WiFi issues, but yeah MIUI is quite a heavy departure from stock Android, although I don't find it too bad personally after throwing on a launcher like Nova Launcher.

The Moto G Plus 5G is a pretty much stock Android, Sony phones too.

The OPPO and Realme have ColorOS, which I have really like previous versions of, again after using Nova Launcher.

Huawei have their EMUI firmware, which isn't too bad, but Moto and Sony are the most close to vanilla Android.
spruceyb31/08/2020 10:54

I believe it's the Redmi Note 9S and Pro that have had some WiFi issues, …I believe it's the Redmi Note 9S and Pro that have had some WiFi issues, but yeah MIUI is quite a heavy departure from stock Android, although I don't find it too bad personally after throwing on a launcher like Nova Launcher.The Moto G Plus 5G is a pretty much stock Android, Sony phones too.The OPPO and Realme have ColorOS, which I have really like previous versions of, again after using Nova Launcher.Huawei have their EMUI firmware, which isn't too bad, but Moto and Sony are the most close to vanilla Android.

Thanks, that was useful. I’ve never used a launcher so that’s something for me to look int
Samsung a51
rimalpatel00731/08/2020 21:08

Samsung a51

Too expensive for mediocre specs.
Exynos 9611 is a poor processor, only Gorilla Glass 3 and UFS2.0 instead of UFS2.1
spruceyb30/08/2020 17:41

The Moto G Plus 5G is a good phone

Thanks for your help with this thread generally, it’s much appreciated

I've just had a chat with my provider (PlusNet) and they don’t offer 5G or have any plans to do that.
I like what I’ve read about the phone so far, and that it’s still decent value without the 5G capability, but I'm wondering if in reality I'm paying extra for something that I won’t use? (I'm not a heavy data user anyway)
What do you think?

If you had to choose a phone for around £300 (or less) which is a good all rounder, reliable, no major niggles etc (and from Amazon), what would you go for?
Edited by: "semiartificial" 1st Sep
semiartificial01/09/2020 14:52

Thanks for your help with this thread generally, it’s much appreciatedI've …Thanks for your help with this thread generally, it’s much appreciatedI've just had a chat with my provider (PlusNet) and they don’t offer 5G or have any plans to do that.I like what I’ve read about the phone so far, and that it’s still decent value without the 5G capability, but I'm wondering if in reality I'm paying extra for something that I won’t use? (I'm not a heavy data user anyway)What do you think?If you had to choose a phone for around £300 (or less) which is a good all rounder, reliable, no major niggles etc (and from Amazon), what would you go for?

At £279 now, you can't really go wrong with the Moto.
The 5G is a bonus, it's built into the SoC so it's not really paying extra for the 5G, so wouldn't worry about if you'd use it or not.

It's got a 90Hz screen which is great (same as Pixel 4), close to stock Android as you get, solid set of cameras, headphone jack and a nice sized battery.
I'd use any of the phones listed here though except for the Galaxy A51 or Redmi 9
The reason the Sony Xperia XZ2 is on the list is because it's the phone I used for over a year and gave it to my mother when I managed to get a Xperia 1 from O2 for £200, but found it too big for my taste and switched to a Pixel 4.

The only downside of the Moto I see is it's potential size at 6.7" (although no bezels so not quite as big as it sounds). See if you can get a hands on with one and if you'd enjoy the large tall aspect ratio of it.
spruceyb01/09/2020 15:48

At £279 now *snip*

Thanks again.
I've been spending time looking at the Reno2, initially swayed by the 8Gb/256Gb specs with a nice package of extras, and praise for the camera, then put off by some comments about battery life, processor and the OS. It seems to have dropped by nearly £200 in the past year, looking at the price quoted in reviews, so then wondering maybe the latter were relative to its price point (though I see the Moto seems to have a better chip). Anyway, between starting and finishing my research, the phone has jumped to £343!
Edited by: "semiartificial" 2nd Sep
spruceyb30/08/2020 17:41

The Moto G Plus 5G is a good phone.Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro …The Moto G Plus 5G is a good phone.Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro £198.92https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-Redmi-128GB-Gray(UK-VERSION)-Grey/dp/B07YB7NLY7/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1YZWFNYALYLU9&dchild=1&keywords=redmi+note+8+pro&qid=1598804413&s=electronics&sprefix=redmi+not,electronics,174&sr=1-Huawei P30 £329.95https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PHZXB7X/ref=twister_B0883RW5KD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1Realme 6 Pro £279https://www.amazon.co.uk/realme-Lightning-Display-4300mAh-sim-free-Red/dp/B086PKMTQR/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2QRYK2EV7HNO7&dchild=1&keywords=realme+6+pro&qid=1598804611&s=electronics&sprefix=realme+6+,electronics,175&sr=1-4Realme X50 5g £299https://www.amazon.co.uk/Realme-X50-5G-Smartphone-Silver-Ice/dp/B08C31SHHD/ref=sr_1_61?dchild=1&keywords=256gb&qid=1598804835&refinements=p_36:-29000&rnid=389035011&s=electronics&sr=1-61Sony Xperia XZ2 £319.97https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Xperia-XZ2-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Liquid-Silver/dp/B07B53J61L/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=sony+xz2&qid=1598804901&s=telephone&sr=1-2Oppo Reno 2 £269https://www.amazon.co.uk/OPPO-4000mAh-Snapdragon-Camera-Smartphone-Black/dp/B07Z8C868H/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=oppo+reno&qid=1598804222&s=electronics&sr=1-3

I just wanted to say thanks very much for your most useful suggestions and other help with this.

in the end I surprised myself and went with the Huawei P30 as per your link. Only had it for a day and still setting it up but really like it so far.
semiartificial06/09/2020 15:36

I just wanted to say thanks very much for your most useful suggestions and …I just wanted to say thanks very much for your most useful suggestions and other help with this.in the end I surprised myself and went with the Huawei P30 as per your link. Only had it for a day and still setting it up but really like it so far.

No worries, it's a good choice. I hope you enjoy it.

My girlfriend uses the Mate 20 Pro which is very similar hardware (OLED screen, mostly same cameras, Processor, RAM) and I'm pretty envious at times, especially at some of the camera things (like Star Trails) and her battery life (compared to my Pixel 4).
Post a comment
@
    Text