Groups

recommendations for a cheap smartwatch with message notifications?

Hi folks,

I recently bought the Lenovo HW01 smart band, and I've been surprised by how much I've liked it - but I've come to realise it's about 80% of the way towards what I want from a smartwatch /band device...

My ideal device would probably look more like the Lenovo or similar bands - small, discreet rectangular things rather than the big round ostentatious watch types - and basically be very similar, except instead of just showing a basic notification icon when a message came in, you'd be able to tap a button /the screen to read the notification on screen. Like a wrist-mounted pager I guess!

The Lenovo band only cost me £15, but I'd be willing to spend double or more for the right device.

The likeliest candidate I've seen so far is the Martian notifier watch, but I was put off by reviews saying it was quite big and the glass was actually very scratchable plastic (also - it's 3 years old now and I can't believe times haven't moved on).

Any recommendations / suggestions?

9 Comments

I have a dz09 smart watch does everything, accept calls, make calls and all notifications, can get them for around a tenner on ebay, I'm amazed how good it is for the money and looks a lot more expensive than it is

Pebble may be dead, but there are some decent deals on the watches - sounds like exactly what you are after...

Pebble is a good bit of kit even now

Samsung gear fit 2

Definitely a Pebble, had mine for 2 and a half years and it's fantastic, battery still lasts a week, I've even bought a few spares in case the worst should happen. I also have a BNIB Pebble Time to sell as well (decided to keep the Steel models as my daily wear/spares) should you be interested.

gvb67

I have a dz09 smart watch does everything, accept calls, make calls and … I have a dz09 smart watch does everything, accept calls, make calls and all notifications, can get them for around a tenner on ebay, I'm amazed how good it is for the money and looks a lot more expensive than it is

Can you install android wear apps via the playstore?

My husband has a Martian notifier. Its very good for what it is, a standard watch with a text bar which notifications are shown on. Its not interactive at all. If that's what you want you'll be very pleased with it.

sherbolton

My husband has a Martian notifier. Its very good for what it is, a … My husband has a Martian notifier. Its very good for what it is, a standard watch with a text bar which notifications are shown on. Its not interactive at all. If that's what you want you'll be very pleased with it.

​Never tried, I don't know

Original Poster

Thanks all! I decided to go with an original Pebble - saw a still sealed one going cheap on ebay. I've been reading up on them since and man, if they're even half as good as they sound I think I'll be delighted will report back.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Upgrading qacoustic speaker setup35
      2. Need Some Help Connecting An Old Laptop To A New TV23
      3. buy to let mortgage44
      4. mobile phone advice needed please22

See more discussions