Recommendations for a cordless drill and screwdriver

Posted 20th Apr
Looking to do some DIY during the lockdown period and I'm in need of a combined cordless drill / screwdriver for light domestic work around the house (drill bits mainly consist of masonry bits)

Prefer to buy a package (battery, drill / screwdriver bits) to keep the price reasonable.

Anyone care to recommend something suitable as there are so many options and its quite daunting.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
So you are looking at drilling through walls? Budget ?
What's your budget?
Are you the type to try most things?
I know this is not what you've asked so it might be of little help but; personally; I prefer a "corded" drill and a separate cordless screwdriver. After so many jobs (especially when masonry drilling) where you need the torque/grunt and the battery just lets you down - a corded drill is there, ready to go at full power as and when required.

Got seriously fed up grabbing drill and finding it didn't have a decent charge WHEN I needed it. I know I could preempt and make sure charged but sometimes life doesn't work that way. Hehe. I have a 1050w hammer which has never let me down.

Apart from that, if you really want cordless then you obviously know to go with Li-Ion rather than Nicad (older tech) or NiMh, which is better but tend to not hold their charge once past a certain point. If you are drilling masonry, look for hammer action as standard and; power wise; not less than 18V. Bigger is better! Some of the Homebase "Ozito" RED tools are ok. They are made by Einhell and are a better build than their BLUE stuff. Also, the batteries can be used in other "bare" tools too, which might be handy.

If you want a drill/driver then VARIABLE speed is a good choice. Twin speed is fine for drilling but not so helpful if screwdriving as if you don't have the torque set correctly you can easily strip/snap screws.
Thanks for all your feedback, really appreciated.

I don't have a budget as such would prefer something reasonably decent and one that lasts a while. I'm hoping £80-£100 will cover it but will look for your advise to find the sweet spot.

I'm only hanging up mirrors, clock, pictures and some light cabinetry so only need to drill enough to drop a rawl plug and screws, its that kind of work.

In light of this, what would you recommend?
This is what I have
I paid £80 under normal times
youll have to find somewhere else to source it
B and q is £100 I believe
trade-point.co.uk/dep…prd
ScoobyDoobyDoo20/04/2020 12:45

Thanks for all your feedback, really appreciated.I don't have a budget as …Thanks for all your feedback, really appreciated.I don't have a budget as such would prefer something reasonably decent and one that lasts a while. I'm hoping £80-£100 will cover it but will look for your advise to find the sweet spot.I'm only hanging up mirrors, clock, pictures and some light cabinetry so only need to drill enough to drop a rawl plug and screws, its that kind of work. In light of this, what would you recommend?

That's a good budget which will get you something decent. I hate spending other people's money for them so it's difficult for me to recommend ONE thing over another. There are many bargains out there (as you already know) but if you want something that's value-for-money then try to avoid the "budget" makes. Saying that though, some of the gear from the likes of Aldi/Lidl isn't that bad - pound for pound. Of course, you have to wait until they are doing a "tool" week. For your money, you could get a Ryobi ONE kit but it will be at the top end of your budget for a basic end bit of kit. Swings and roundabouts...

Homebase seem to have sold off all their RED Ozito so; of course; nothing is available online. If you could get to a store you might have some luck but again, it's not the best time - is it?

They have these: homebase.co.uk/ozi…295

Cordless/Variable speed/18V - but no hammer action. Still, if you are not doing 'heavy' masonry drilling then that's not SO important. 3yr warranty too. Trouble is, I'm still going to be bias towards a corded drill and a separate screwdriver but that's MY personal opinion. When drilling into walls, I like to have a front "grip" handle so you have two-handed control whilst working.

Perhaps you can wait until you can get to a DIY store and have a 'play' with a few? Weight, design and control-ability may all have a part in your decision and only a "hands on" approach can help you...
For the money you have in mind I'd buy a corded Parkside hammer drill, then followed by an 18v cordless drill/driver. TBH other than that I wouldn't know what to suggest as all my tools are all at the other end of the cost spectrum as use them all day for work.
How about something like this, looks like it will do the job

robertdyas.co.uk/bos…-x2

Before I pull the trigger, any reservations? It comes with extra battery, hammer-action, good brand name..
ScoobyDoobyDoo20/04/2020 15:45

How about something like this, looks like it will do the …How about something like this, looks like it will do the jobhttps://www.robertdyas.co.uk/bosch-psb-li-2-1800-h-drill-x2Before I pull the trigger, any reservations? It comes with extra battery, hammer-action, good brand name..

Hi again, SDD. Hope you're well.

Just stopped by and saw your last post. My twopenneth?

Ok "deal" for what you get.
Only a two-speed drill. A no-no for me.
Bosch used to be great but they aren't quite the Bosch of yesteryear.

It wouldn't be a choice for me; personally; but then as I said - I will always be on the side of a corded drill for instant use and consistent power. And, I wouldn't compromise on a variable drill speed. I know I don't need to explain it to you but imagine if your car only had two speeds - slow and quick. Great on slow but you're not getting anywhere. Then you go straight to 'fast' and break your neck! That's why a 'throttle' is a Godsend...

Sorry to be "negative" but - you did ask! Hehe.

All the best, Phsy.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions