Recommendations for a easy to use telescope for 11 year old.

Found 5th Nov 2017
My daughter would like a telescope for christmas and i am completely out of my depth.
I know nothing about them. we have a cheap one that my girls use that we got from home bargains last year in the house but that belongs to another daughter and the wee one says she would like something better.

Can anyone offer me some advice on what to look for?
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
You need to contact Roy at Roys Rolls, 12 Rosamund Street, Weatherfield
Toptrumpet5 m ago

You need to contact Roy at Roys Rolls, 12 Rosamund Street, Weatherfield

Found an old thread on here, if no one answers, or you need more help, try contacting some of the users on the thread for more help.
I’ve read it many times myself and always dismissed the advice. That is until recently. Buy a pair of Binoculars.
Any Telescope under say £100 for sure, is way too unstable. It will get you closer but they become very frustrating. Even then the field of view is much narrower it is harder to line it up.

I’m using a pair of Vanguard ED 10x50 and and a pair of Celestron 20x80. The second pair is huge but can go on a camera tripod.

Certainly a set of 10x50 binoculars is a good start. The second number ie 50 is the size of the lens at the other end from your eye. That dictates how much light comes in to pick up faint light. The first number is the magnification.
Depending on budget the 15x70 Celestron would be a good idea. Think it does tripod mount too.

Seriously binoculars is way better than you think.

I do have a Telescope, a Bresser ...70 or 80. Can’t remember, the other light looking for the moon was a pain. Never mind a star.

Tripods are all about mounts then the optics.
Oneday779 m ago

I’ve read it many times myself and always dismissed the advice. That is u …I’ve read it many times myself and always dismissed the advice. That is until recently. Buy a pair of Binoculars. Any Telescope under say £100 for sure, is way too unstable. It will get you closer but they become very frustrating. Even then the field of view is much narrower it is harder to line it up. I’m using a pair of Vanguard ED 10x50 and and a pair of Celestron 20x80. The second pair is huge but can go on a camera tripod. Certainly a set of 10x50 binoculars is a good start. The second number ie 50 is the size of the lens at the other end from your eye. That dictates how much light comes in to pick up faint light. The first number is the magnification. Depending on budget the 15x70 Celestron would be a good idea. Think it does tripod mount too. Seriously binoculars is way better than you think. I do have a Telescope, a Bresser ...70 or 80. Can’t remember, the other light looking for the moon was a pain. Never mind a star. Tripods are all about mounts then the optics.

now i would never have considered that.. i already have a decent tripod and as this is her main present I'm happy to spend up to 100 on it, although less means she could get more of the other things she would like...she wouldn't even mind secondhand as quality over new is more valuable to her.
Look on Amazon Warehouse especially .de or other EU sites. Also keep Black Friday in mind. Warehouse deals may be even better. My 20x80 were £80 instead of £180 new.
yes ive black friday in mind for this...what brands would you recommend? i know with stuff like this the brand can make a huge difference to the quality you get.. is 20 x 80 what i should be looking at ? im liking it will be more portable and can be used for nature watching too
sheps2 h, 2 m ago

yes ive black friday in mind for this...what brands would you recommend? i …yes ive black friday in mind for this...what brands would you recommend? i know with stuff like this the brand can make a huge difference to the quality you get.. is 20 x 80 what i should be looking at ? im liking it will be more portable and can be used for nature watching too

I’d start at 10x50. Seriously the 20x80 are huge. Like 2 bottles of wine dude by side huge.
Celestron are well enough regarded for sky watching.
Looking on Amazon the 20x80 are £104. There is a set of 12x70 for £40. They may may fit he worth a punt. Try them and send back if you don’t like them. Both have Warehouse ones available too.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 5th Nov 2017
Oneday7745 m ago

I’d start at 10x50. Seriously the 20x80 are huge. Like 2 bottles of wine d …I’d start at 10x50. Seriously the 20x80 are huge. Like 2 bottles of wine dude by side huge. Celestron are well enough regarded for sky watching.Looking on Amazon the 20x80 are £104. There is a set of 12x70 for £40. They may may fit he worth a punt. Try them and send back if you don’t like them. Both have Warehouse ones available too.

Cheers I'll have a look the now
Oneday771 h, 13 m ago

I’d start at 10x50. Seriously the 20x80 are huge. Like 2 bottles of wine d …I’d start at 10x50. Seriously the 20x80 are huge. Like 2 bottles of wine dude by side huge. Celestron are well enough regarded for sky watching.Looking on Amazon the 20x80 are £104. There is a set of 12x70 for £40. They may may fit he worth a punt. Try them and send back if you don’t like them. Both have Warehouse ones available too.

One more question what is the difference between skymaster and normal ones of the same spec?
sheps9 h, 50 m ago

One more question what is the difference between skymaster and normal ones …One more question what is the difference between skymaster and normal ones of the same spec?

Not 100% sure but should be better optics and build quality. Some come filled with nitrogen too to prevent internal fogging up.
Ordered Amazon warehouse 15x70 skymaster.. at 62 it seamed a good price when only a damaged box.. And I doubt black Friday will see them cheaper than this looking at previous prices on here.. Will try them out when arrive too. But sure they will be perfect looking at what you said and other reviews around the net I've seen since. Thanks for all your help.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants