Recommendations for a mobile phone for a 13yrs

Posted 5th Nov
looking for a recommendation, to which mobile handset would be good for a 13yrs old. don't want to spend more than £200.

Was told the Redmi 7 is a good starter phone?

any advice would be highly appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
Having 2 daughters (12 + 16) i would say iPhone, all there friends have them and facetime all the time on them and air drop stuff between them , you can also track them ,personally i don't like them but that's what all the kids seem to have

A cheap 6s or 7
Edited by: "deanos" 5th Nov
Buy a used iPhone SE.
ask what type of phone your 13 year old would like, if you get the wrong one and they refuse to use it then that's wasted money.
2nd hand iPhone, don’t punish your daughter with a android. She will be the laughing stock of her friends and one of the common people...
Has to be iphone for a teenager. Can get an XR for less than £400 second hand depending on whT you want to pay. All the kids have them as previous comments say. FaceTime,Animoji,iMessage,find my iPhone etc

Sorry. Around £200. Can probably get an iPhone 8 for a little more. I wouldn’t get an 6 or an se they’re pretty old now x
Edited by: "parisp" 5th Nov
Some shocking comments in here, even bordering on child abuse for giving anything other than an iPhone.
paulj4805/11/2019 13:05

ask what type of phone your 13 year old would like, if you get the wrong …ask what type of phone your 13 year old would like, if you get the wrong one and they refuse to use it then that's wasted money.

Money well spent to show the child that peer pressure is no justification for "I want".
I’d say a Samsung A20e around £170, has face id, fingerprint sensor, good battery life. However teenagers prefer iphones as “all their friends have one” so a used 7 would be within budget.
My kids would hate anything but an iPhone now but if she’s used android tablets or doesn’t have loads of friends on iPhone then android might be ok. If she wants iPhone £200 is a tricky amount, you can get an iPhone 8 a little over but it’s barely better than the iPhone 7 and that can be had for just over £100. If it’s her main present a 7 is probably a little to old, to get anything better though than an iPhone 8 your talking £400 so big difference.
Both my kids 10 & 12 have an iPhone 6s, brilliant phones, spend a lot of time FaceTiming mates (when on Xbox etc) got them both on eBay with all accessories present & earphones unused from sellers with lots of feedback.
Edited by: "claire7519" 5th Nov
redmi 8 pro global
Thanks for all your feedback. Just think it a waste of money to pay for an iPhone that out of date that cost more than an android phone with more spec.
I had the impression that more people had androids phone these days. As Apple is a rip-off?
SamUnderwood06/11/2019 14:40

Thanks for all your feedback. Just think it a waste of money to pay for an …Thanks for all your feedback. Just think it a waste of money to pay for an iPhone that out of date that cost more than an android phone with more spec. I had the impression that more people had androids phone these days. As Apple is a rip-off?

its preference isnt it, only know one person with a android and they only bought that because they didnt want to pay the price of an iphone even though the rest of his family have them and they have Ipads as well. Its up to you what you want to get your child and if you dont like apple its probably they wont either. At that age they know what they would prefer, if its Apple then SE or 7 are in your price range if you go for a refurbed one.
Edited by: "eslick" 6th Nov
My sons 16 and had a xiaomi Redmi note a year or so ago he actually came home from school one day and said his friends had been discussing the specs and battery life of xiaomi phones over iPhones so that was his birthday present sorted, in other words teenagers are pretty tech savvy and know some androids are a far better choice than over priced Apple stuff. If I was you I'd ask what they want in the price range you are willing to pay.
Edited by: "jez794" 6th Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants