Recommendations for a Plex client

Found 28th Apr
Can anyone who has experience with multiple boxes tell me which would be the best apart from Nvidia shield, it's for the kids rooms so ethernet not required , decent WiFi & direct play is what I'm after.
I jumped on the qnap Nas deal awhile ago because the description mentioned its capable of multiple clients streaming media but obviously that's its own qvideo app or whatever, Plex is limited/nonexistent for hardware encoding on qnaps it would seem.. it struggles to transcode one 600 x400 random codec 100% CPU usage which knocks the other clients off track.

I will be converting my (big) library to more friendly codecs/containers at some point (still reading up on it)
I tried android boxes low end and high-end, both mostly transcode, freeze then drop out - can't stand the choppy old android menus anyway.

The roku I've heard great-ish things about but for my needs will the Roku express cut it or should I invest in the roku streaming plus?
As much as I hate Peppa the pig, I hate laggy Peppa more.

Any input appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Pretty sure any cheap atom box will tick all the boxes. Won't do h.265 or 4k but will handle everything else. They're dirt cheap as they're so old now. I've got an atom 330 with 4GB and a 700GB HDD running openelec. It will do everything I chuck at it but it won't handle Netflix, Amazon video etc.
m.ebay.co.uk/itm…456?epid=152203872&hash=item56ae2e4560:g:2SYAAOSw-b9axj5X

Wouldn't pay more than £35 inc postage for it though.
Roku box, handles all of it plex, amazon, Netflix, nowtv.
You definitely want a roku. Cleanest easiest plex interface you can get. Even the £30 express works really well.
kester762 h, 58 m ago

Pretty sure any cheap atom box will tick all the boxes. Won't do h.265 or …Pretty sure any cheap atom box will tick all the boxes. Won't do h.265 or 4k but will handle everything else. They're dirt cheap as they're so old now. I've got an atom 330 with 4GB and a 700GB HDD running openelec. It will do everything I chuck at it but it won't handle Netflix, Amazon video etc.

That's a interesting pick, I may pick one up for myself to play with but it wouldn't work in the kids room, one is 5 and autistic and likes to break things and the other is 2 and likes to break things haha, what ever i get will have to get stuck behind the TV.
Would be perfect for my dad though, currently he uses his firetv box to access my libary remotely but that forces transcoding again and lags out.

What's the fan noise like? And would a usb pvr work aswell?
Thanks guys I'll get a Roku, gonna hit up YouTube and compare snappiness between the express and plus.
Wish I had Roku in my keywords when the plus was going for 50 odd quid the other week
Royo28 m ago

That's a interesting pick, I may pick one up for myself to play with but …That's a interesting pick, I may pick one up for myself to play with but it wouldn't work in the kids room, one is 5 and autistic and likes to break things and the other is 2 and likes to break things haha, what ever i get will have to get stuck behind the TV.Would be perfect for my dad though, currently he uses his firetv box to access my libary remotely but that forces transcoding again and lags out.What's the fan noise like? And would a usb pvr work aswell?

Fan noise is reasonable but most could do with fresh thermal paste due to age. It's just a tiny 64bit Atom 330 CPU with an Nvidia ion GPU built in.

This is a more modern version but seems to lack built in wifi but is pretty strong processing wise.
ebuyer.com/767…BwE

I wouldn't transcode myself but just share a bluray iso with the device and get it to process it.
Picked up the Roku stream, skipping playback, remote & thumbnails are painfully slow but I can deal with that, it's still miles better than the android box we had in the kids room.. I can upgrade to the plus later if it really bugs me.
I'll grab an atom to tinker with, i do enjoy a project then the rents can have it.

Networks almost how I want it after spending a bomb on a qnap Nas, living room Nvidia shield gets Plex media server crash pop ups even though it's just the client that is running, just need to fix that & re-encode my libary, flash my router & setup VPN properly then I'm done.

Gotta admit I love Plex compared to Kodi for ease of setup & the kids are really happy being able to watch their shows out the house, it's an absolute god send when you've got a kid with autism and he's struggling to keep his cool, he can just Plex and zone out for abit and reset himself
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants