Recommendations for Dash Cam

Found 10th Jun
I've been meaning to buy my Dad a dash cam for ages but there's so many and I'm so confused about which ones are any good, so I thought I'd ask for recommendations. I don't need the cheapest one and could afford to spend around £60-£70 but obviously if there's a cheaper one that ticks all the boxes, that's even better.

I know I need to get him one that:
- has a capacitor, not a battery
- is very small, so it can't be seen from outside and tempt thieves to break-in
- records at 60fps (I think I read at 30fps it can be hard to read number plates)
- has good night-time/low-light recording (not much point if you can't read number plates at night)
- can transfer videos to his phone wirelessly, so he doesn't have to take the card out.

GPS isn't required (he should at least be able to disable it permanently) and parking-mode recording/motion-sensing isn't that important. Apart from that I'm not sure what else might be important. I know I'll need to get him a hardwire kit to hide the cable in the trim and connect it to the fusebox.

I'm not sure about the pros and cons of the different methods of attaching them. I'd have thought a suction cup on the windscreen would make it rather obvious, so do the discrete ones attach to the back of the mirror? Even then I'd think it'd be quite visible but I don't drive so don't know much about cars.
Community Updates
AskCameraPhoto & Camera
26 Comments
Next Base all people I know are buying
I have several dash cams, however they are out of your budget. What I will say is if you cannot see it when installed it makes me wonder how it will be filming traffic. I think unless you intend removing it all the time a thief will notice it anyway. With regards to a hardware kit do not bother as you can buy a 12v female socket and a piggy back fuse holder off EBay for about £2 delivered all in, and as long as you can use a set of crimps and an extra piece of wire if need you are all done for under £2.50. In all my three years of dash cam ownership I have only needed to view the footage twice, so I'm not sure how important wifi is. Something you may want to consider is ease of use as some are rather tiny and fiddly to use with no obvious label or screen prompts for the buttons you need to press. Also not sure on the frame rate but it does make a big difference on what you view your images through when using the sd card. Finally just to add if you do find one at a very good price but coming from China etc think if it stops working in 6 months time how easy will it be to return. HTH
Nextbase are among the best, they are very easy to detach from the screen and reattach. Never leave a dashcam in the car thieves will see it no matter how small it is and will break into the car to steal it or just to smash it up as it’s caught them on camera.

If you want to keep an eye on the car at night put cameras high up on the house.

For driving nextbase will tick all your boxes and the newer generation of cameras has extremely good low light recording and WiFi for accessing the clips. I have my old 402g on the rear of the car and the 512gw on the front.

Well worth it.
I have an A118c

Have a look on Google for price and YouTube for reviews.

I am really happy with quality, size and price
Yi for about £30 on Amazon, often posted on HukD. Got a two year warranty on mine and can't fault it.
cmdr_elito1 h, 8 m ago

Nextbase are among the best, they are very easy to detach from the screen …Nextbase are among the best, they are very easy to detach from the screen and reattach. Never leave a dashcam in the car thieves will see it no matter how small it is and will break into the car to steal it or just to smash it up as it’s caught them on camera.If you want to keep an eye on the car at night put cameras high up on the house. For driving nextbase will tick all your boxes and the newer generation of cameras has extremely good low light recording and WiFi for accessing the clips. I have my old 402g on the rear of the car and the 512gw on the front. Well worth it.

Do you take them out front and back every time you leave the car?
That sounds a pain
Nextbase are #1 for reliability I’d say, but mobius camera is the best for discreteness.
snoopy1833 m ago

Do you take them out front and back every time you leave the car? That …Do you take them out front and back every time you leave the car? That sounds a pain

You can leave them in if you wish but somebody else might remove them for you and leave a mess behind.
Edited by: "caverncity" 10th Jun
snoopy181 h, 10 m ago

Do you take them out front and back every time you leave the car? That …Do you take them out front and back every time you leave the car? That sounds a pain

Yep. I mostly do long journeys so not a problem for me. You only really need a front camera anyway.
+1 for the Yi. Simple and effective and unobtrusive.
hubcms11 h, 17 m ago

I have several dash cams, however they are out of your budget. What I will …I have several dash cams, however they are out of your budget. What I will say is if you cannot see it when installed it makes me wonder how it will be filming traffic. I think unless you intend removing it all the time a thief will notice it anyway. With regards to a hardware kit do not bother as you can buy a 12v female socket and a piggy back fuse holder off EBay for about £2 delivered all in, and as long as you can use a set of crimps and an extra piece of wire if need you are all done for under £2.50. In all my three years of dash cam ownership I have only needed to view the footage twice, so I'm not sure how important wifi is. Something you may want to consider is ease of use as some are rather tiny and fiddly to use with no obvious label or screen prompts for the buttons you need to press. Also not sure on the frame rate but it does make a big difference on what you view your images through when using the sd card. Finally just to add if you do find one at a very good price but coming from China etc think if it stops working in 6 months time how easy will it be to return. HTH

I guess I might have to increase the budget then, if there's nothing that's really good within it and maybe it will be better to get something removable rather than hope it isn't noticed. I'm not sure how the 12v female socket and fuse holder connect, it sounds a bit of a ghetto mod and my Dad won't want anything messy in his car but perhaps it's not as bad as I'm imagining. Maybe it's better to have something without a screen, which would make it easier to hide, and just view the footage and manage the settings through the phone over wifi, rather than fiddling with tiny buttons on the side of the dash cam. Buying from China it depends on the price really, if I'm getting something decent for £30 instead of £140 I can just buy another one if it stops working in 6 months and I'd probably only have a years warranty in the UK anyway.
cmdr_elito11 h, 1 m ago

Nextbase are among the best, they are very easy to detach from the screen …Nextbase are among the best, they are very easy to detach from the screen and reattach. Never leave a dashcam in the car thieves will see it no matter how small it is and will break into the car to steal it or just to smash it up as it’s caught them on camera.If you want to keep an eye on the car at night put cameras high up on the house. For driving nextbase will tick all your boxes and the newer generation of cameras has extremely good low light recording and WiFi for accessing the clips. I have my old 402g on the rear of the car and the 512gw on the front. Well worth it.

The 512gw looks good, albeit a bit pricey at £149. Perhaps the 1440p resolution is overkill and 1080p @60fps would be enough, so maybe there's something cheaper that would suffice.
Duggie200010th Jun

I have an A118cHave a look on Google for price and YouTube for reviews. I …I have an A118cHave a look on Google for price and YouTube for reviews. I am really happy with quality, size and price

It's certainly quite cheap but only 1080p@30fps it seems, so I'm not sure if it will be good enough. It also doesn't look very discreet and seems a bit awkward to remove every time you leave the car.
terriclarkfan10 h, 7 m ago

Yi for about £30 on Amazon, often posted on HukD. Got a two year warranty …Yi for about £30 on Amazon, often posted on HukD. Got a two year warranty on mine and can't fault it.

I've seen the YI mentioned. It seems the grey one is better (60fps I think) but is also more noticeable, so it kinda depends on how easy it is to remove when leaving the car.
hubcms11 h, 38 m ago

I have several dash cams, however they are out of your budget. What I will …I have several dash cams, however they are out of your budget. What I will say is if you cannot see it when installed it makes me wonder how it will be filming traffic. I think unless you intend removing it all the time a thief will notice it anyway. With regards to a hardware kit do not bother as you can buy a 12v female socket and a piggy back fuse holder off EBay for about £2 delivered all in, and as long as you can use a set of crimps and an extra piece of wire if need you are all done for under £2.50. In all my three years of dash cam ownership I have only needed to view the footage twice, so I'm not sure how important wifi is. Something you may want to consider is ease of use as some are rather tiny and fiddly to use with no obvious label or screen prompts for the buttons you need to press. Also not sure on the frame rate but it does make a big difference on what you view your images through when using the sd card. Finally just to add if you do find one at a very good price but coming from China etc think if it stops working in 6 months time how easy will it be to return. HTH

Hi. Could you kindly post a link to the 12v female socket and a piggy back fuse holder off EBay please? Also, when would you need to crimp? I've only every crimped computer network cables.
Thanks
Around the £100 mark, I can see the Nextbase 312GW for £92 or the Garmin Dash Cam 55 for £109. The Nextbase is only 1080p@30fps whilst the Garmin can do 1080p@60fps or 1440p@30fps. Both are detachable but the Nextbase is a bit easier as the power cable connects to the mount rather than the cam.

Anyone had any experience with either of those?
G1W-C. Capacitor. Precise Footage, Surprising Affordable.
ssc14 h, 40 m ago

They're pretty good, I bought my father the sub £30 G1WH li-ion battery version a few years ago and is still working well, although the li-ion battery needed replacing after 3 years.

However if I need to replace it today, I would go for something using more recent tech such as the budget grey Y1 which has the newer version of the processor, plus wifi, but ideally I'd look for one that sits the lens closer to the raked windscreen so it would get less reflection off the top of the dashboard.

Anyway here's some recent footage of a van hitting a window from his G1WH, so far I've not had any trouble reading a number plate, although a higher frame rate would give you more frames while they are in focal range:-

Edited by: "melted" 11th Jun
ssc119 h, 57 m ago

Doesn't seem to be available anywhere other than e-bay now though and I'm not sure I'd want to risk buying it from someone on there. It doesn't seem to be easily removable anyway.
doveman0071 m ago

Doesn't seem to be available anywhere other than e-bay now though and I'm …Doesn't seem to be available anywhere other than e-bay now though and I'm not sure I'd want to risk buying it from someone on there. It doesn't seem to be easily removable anyway.

i got mine from gearbest.
Having read review on Amazon of the Garmin Dash Cam 55 overheating, being unreliable and breaking after three months and the voice activation having to be disabled due to being triggered by the radio, I've rather gone of that one!

I think the Nextbase 312GW footage might be a bit grainy from what I've read, so that's not ideal either. The 512GW is available for £138 now, so I might have to go for that. Can anyone tell me if the GPS can be disabled permanently, as in it will remember the settings and won't turn itself back on every time it's plugged back in.

Regarding mounting, I'm a bit confused as some places say you're not meant to have it visible as it could obstruct your view but if it's stuck behind the mirror you wouldn't be able to see the screen to operate it and you can't operate it when it's not mounted as it gets the power through the mount. It doesn't look like the mount would allow you to hide it behind the mirror anyway, so it's probably a moot point but I wonder what other people's thoughts are?

I might still pick the YI if there's a way to mount it that makes it easily removable. It wouldn't be as easy as the Nextbase as the power connects to the cam rather than the mount and I'd be a bit worried that plugging/unplugging the cable several times a day might cause the socket to break but for only £30 vs £138 it's probably worth the risk as I could buy four replacements and still have change.

Can either the Nextbase or the YI be mounted on the dash rather than the windscreen? Would they still be able to see as much from there? I ask partly as I'd be less concerned about it falling off than with it suspended from above but also it could then be hidden under a baseball cap or something when leaving the car so you didn't need to remove it.
Type in 12v female socket, and Cars blade fuse box holder on EBay. You then crimp the 12v supply from the fuse box holder to the positive 12v female socket, then connect the 12v female socket earth cable to either body earth or an earth cable near the fuse box. Then tuck near the fuse box.
OK, apparently the 512GW does remember the settings. Does anyone know if it uses an EEPROM to do that rather than a battery, as I'm aware that batteries are not ideal to have in dash cams?
doveman00711th Jun

Regarding mounting, I'm a bit confused as some places say you're not meant …Regarding mounting, I'm a bit confused as some places say you're not meant to have it visible as it could obstruct your view but if it's stuck behind the mirror you wouldn't be able to see the screen to operate it and you can't operate it when it's not mounted as it gets the power through the mount. It doesn't look like the mount would allow you to hide it behind the mirror anyway, so it's probably a moot point but I wonder what other people's thoughts are?I might still pick the YI if there's a way to mount it that makes it easily removable. It wouldn't be as easy as the Nextbase as the power connects to the cam rather than the mount and I'd be a bit worried that plugging/unplugging the cable several times a day might cause the socket to break but for only £30 vs £138 it's probably worth the risk as I could buy four replacements and still have change.Can either the Nextbase or the YI be mounted on the dash rather than the windscreen? Would they still be able to see as much from there? I ask partly as I'd be less concerned about it falling off than with it suspended from above but also it could then be hidden under a baseball cap or something when leaving the car so you didn't need to remove it.

If you mount your dashcam behind and to the left of your rear view mirror, and run the cable around the passenger side, then it shouldn't be too much of an issue if it falls off, or the cable drops out of the headlining, although it might annoy anyone sat in the passenger seat at the time.

We tried the G1WH on the dash, but the bonnet limited the view near the car. He leaves it permanently mounted, it looks a cheap camera so it is probably not that attractive to thieves, and as is all black (no chrome or writing on it) with the rearview mirror behind it, it is not too obvious from outside unless you are looking for a camera.

If I bought him a Y1, I think I'd cut a rectangle of black foam sheet to fit around the lens and hide the grey body, it might also absorb some of the heat from the sun, instead of it heating up the camera.

If you are worried about someone smashing a window then the mobius or one of the wedge shaped cameras that stick on the windscreen would be more discreet.

dashcamtalk.com/xia…am/ is a good resource of information.
Edited by: "melted" 12th Jun
Right, I didn't think about the bonnet limiting the view with the cam mounted on the dash. Your suggestion of having it behind and to the left of the mirror sounds like a good option.

I suppose even if a camera looks cheap enough not to be worth nicking there's still the risk that anyone who commits a crime nearby might then think to check if there's any cams that might have recorded them and just smash the window to nick it to be safe, as they'll know that the recordings are only stored locally. So it's probably safer to get the Nextbase so it can just be stowed in the glovebox every time you leave the car.
Which SD card is recommend for dash cams, or the Nextbase specifically if it matters?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants