Recommendations for Halogen Oven please.

Posted 23rd Nov
Right, in short in last few years I have had three halogen ovens, all from one of the big name TV shopping channels.

First one was fine, until it went bang at 2 years old. Second one after less than 2 years would intermittently stop the timer, leaving the oven on for longer than expected and if not noticed, burnt food. Now the third one has had a noisy fan for a while, worse when it is cold and it has now started to have the same issue with the timer.

So looking for recommendations for a replacement, not sure on whether to look at one with a digital timer or not.

Thanks for reading.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
They are a bit of a gimmick they all fail and the bulb is a nightmare as well as the heat it causes lots of problems.
I have had a few in the workshop and most cannot be fixed cheaply!
Just got an airfryer myself and its just as bad wish i hadnt bought it i feel so stupid but the lure of special healthy chips was too hard to resist and they arent as good as deep fried chips - very disappointed!

They do however save leccie that is their only saving grace!

Just get yourself one of those combi mini ovens my brothers is still going and its 7 years old!
Cannot beat the old technology heated iron element - lasts for decades!
Tell me, do you put the lid on them straight after use?
esar23/11/2019 21:47

They have hinged lids, usually leave them fully open when hot and then close later, but usually prop lid slightly open to allow some air flow as it helps to avoid stale smells building up.
omendata23/11/2019 21:46

They are a bit of a gimmick they all fail and the bulb is a nightmare as …They are a bit of a gimmick they all fail and the bulb is a nightmare as well as the heat it causes lots of problems.I have had a few in the workshop and most cannot be fixed cheaply!Just got an airfryer myself and its just as bad wish i hadnt bought it i feel so stupid but the lure of special healthy chips was too hard to resist and they arent as good as deep fried chips - very disappointed!They do however save leccie that is their only saving grace!Just get yourself one of those combi mini ovens my brothers is still going and its 7 years old!Cannot beat the old technology heated iron element - lasts for decades!

I was tempted by an air fryer, but on a recent deal on HUKD someone posted a link to a YT video about them and so I binned that idea.

I find that oven chips and frozen fish when cooked in halogen are better than in fan oven. Most things cook quicker and oven heat up time is much lower than fan oven.
vultura23/11/2019 22:02

I was tempted by an air fryer, but on a recent deal on HUKD someone posted …I was tempted by an air fryer, but on a recent deal on HUKD someone posted a link to a YT video about them and so I binned that idea.I find that oven chips and frozen fish when cooked in halogen are better than in fan oven. Most things cook quicker and oven heat up time is much lower than fan oven.

Haha yes i was in that thread the video was right.
My girlfriend insists the food tasts plasticky as well but she is a veggie and sensitive to foodstuff so probably not a good idea if you are sensitive foodwise - me i coudlnt tell the difference to me they are ok but same as oven chips and thats why i bought it so disappointed was I!

Yeah i considered a Halogen probably should have gone for it instead but like all things its how you clean and look after em makes em last - my Toshiba microwave is 40+ years old and still going strong!
Canny beat the old days eh built to last and great when yer a tightarse like me (pardon the Scots Vernacular)!!
Edited by: "omendata" 23rd Nov
vultura23/11/2019 21:55

They have hinged lids, usually leave them fully open when hot and then …They have hinged lids, usually leave them fully open when hot and then close later, but usually prop lid slightly open to allow some air flow as it helps to avoid stale smells building up.

Darn it, thought putting lid on was your problem.
My mum had an oven, and I couldn't believe how rusty it'd had gone on such a short time
My suggestion would be to get the cheapest you can find and buy a separate stand (if it doesn't come with one)
I've had a halogen oven for a few years now with no problems.Most things cook much quicker.The cleaning cycle they recommend is useless.Just clean the bowl etc with a bicarbonate of soda paste
Edited by: "javea" 23rd Nov
Can people post the name/model when they are discussing their ovens as I find it useful to know which ones are being recommended(looking to buy)
Treboeth23/11/2019 22:19

Can people post the name/model when they are discussing their ovens as I …Can people post the name/model when they are discussing their ovens as I find it useful to know which ones are being recommended(looking to buy)

Mine have all been Cookshop.
I love my Air Fryer, use it all the time, I've got from using my Fan Oven daily to once or twice a week (basically just pizzas/other large items), everything else fits in the air fryer instead (including smallish joints)
vultura23/11/2019 22:28

Mine have all been Cookshop... First one was fine, until it went bang at 2 …Mine have all been Cookshop... First one was fine, until it went bang at 2 years old. Second one after less than 2 years would intermittently stop the timer, leaving the oven on for longer than expected and if not noticed, burnt food. Now the third one has had a noisy fan for a while, worse when it is cold and it has now started to have the same issue with the timer.

@MikeCumbria might be able to assist you with separate simple warranty claims.

They are a bit of a gimmick they all fail and the bulb is a nightmare as …They are a bit of a gimmick they all fail and the bulb is a nightmare as well as the heat it causes lots of problems.I have had a few in the workshop and most cannot be fixed cheaply!Just got an airfryer myself and its just as bad wish i hadnt bought it i feel so stupid but the lure of special healthy chips was too hard to resist and they arent as good as deep fried chips - very disappointed!They do however save leccie that is their only saving grace!Just get yourself one of those combi mini ovens my brothers is still going and its 7 years old!Cannot beat the old technology heated iron element - lasts for decades!

Gimmick? Lol
esar23/11/2019 21:47

Why do you ask? Always put the lid back on mine and never had a problem in 3 years. Use mine daily and it's fantastic. Always buy one with Replaceable bulbs. Shouldn't be allowed to sell ones that don't
I have the cheap ass Robert dyas one... used for nearly year now and i LOVE it was 25quid delivered at the time but think was on offer.. only bought as my idiot ex flatmate melted my old one on the cooker top..

at 25 quid a year.. adding in all those time and energy savings using them if you dont need alarger oven surely the pay for themselves!?
chocci24/11/2019 04:57

Why do you ask? Always put the lid back on mine and never had a problem in …Why do you ask? Always put the lid back on mine and never had a problem in 3 years. Use mine daily and it's fantastic. Always buy one with Replaceable bulbs. Shouldn't be allowed to sell ones that don't

My mum got one after me, and hers rusted because she put the lid on (all that moisture out of the food had nowhere to go, so it condensates on the metal and rusts it)
AndyRoyd24/11/2019 04:35

@MikeCumbria might be able to assist you with separate simple warranty …@MikeCumbria might be able to assist you with separate simple warranty claims.

The current unit is a no cost to me replacement.
Noisy fan. Remove bowl. Open right up so lid is upside down. Wd-40. Tiny little dribble on fan shaft. Smallest amount and wait 30s.Might need someone to hold torch so you can see shaft. Use wd-40 pipe thing and practice before you do for real. Don't want oil everywhere .1 min job to do. Fixed ours fan. We use ours every day. Sometime many times so I think they ware out. 3 years seems the average if your lucky.
Edited by: "wayners" 24th Nov
Firemountain24/11/2019 05:59

at 25 quid a year.. adding in all those time and energy savings using them …at 25 quid a year.. adding in all those time and energy savings using them if you dont need alarger oven surely the pay for themselves!?

You should read all of my reply.
I did say "They do however save leccie that is their only saving grace!"
Tut tut
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions