Recommendations for TV boxes/streaming combinations

Posted 24th Jul
Looking for some recommendations for something that would work with the below set up.

I currently use a NowTV box purely for Freeview/catch-up/iPlayer - I don't pay for any NowTV subscriptions any more but the box is handy for pausing/rewinding tv.
I also have a Chromecast which I use regularly for casting Netflix & YouTube.
In addition I have a Firestick but I've always found this really slow and not that intuitive.

I've recently paid for VPN so I can watch things from overseas but this doesn't work with casting and I can't seem to get it to work with the Firestick even though I've got the VPN app installed but to be honest, I've never been keen on the Firestick.

Is there some sort of entertainment box/stick that could replace the NowTV box but also have the ability to link the VPN app and the usual streaming sites/apps all in one place?

I currently pay for Netflix & Prime video.

Any recommendations for something that works with all the above and is user friendly/intuitive?

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Been using Formuler Z7+ for a while & it’s great. Allows for VPNs & DNS changing along with sold. Z8 is the newer version. Have a look on world of satellite as less than £100
Apks* not sold
For the money firesticks are amazing never had a problem and quick.

but if you want one of the best boxes if not the best the nvidia shield is an awesome bit of kit I have that set up in one room and firesticks in the other 3. But I’ve never had issue with any..
ste.chaderton24/07/2020 13:47

Been using Formuler Z7+ for a while & it’s great. Allows for VPNs & DNS c …Been using Formuler Z7+ for a while & it’s great. Allows for VPNs & DNS changing along with sold. Z8 is the newer version. Have a look on world of satellite as less than £100

480p neflix
No iplayer or UK apps

The mytvonline app has been ported to all devices (IMplayer).

Good devices but I would never buy one now the USP has gone.

Get a 4K cube/stick or nvidia shield OP.
IPlayer & UK apps work fine. It had Play store. Nvidia Shield is far too expensive for what it is. Have had 2 & sent them both back. Found both boxes to be really loud
By work do you mean the full tv version which doesn't require a mouse + keyboard to operate?

I agree they are overkill didn't find the 2 I have loud though.
ste.chaderton24/07/2020 16:00

IPlayer & UK apps work fine. It had Play store. Nvidia Shield is far too …IPlayer & UK apps work fine. It had Play store. Nvidia Shield is far too expensive for what it is. Have had 2 & sent them both back. Found both boxes to be really loud

My shield absolutely silent, cost wise you pay for what you get. The fact you can game on it and stream pc games to it makes the cost worth it. Even tho I never use lol. Most it gets used for is cinema hd..
Thanks, I've looked at a few review videos for each and will have a think.
My Firestick has barely been used. I've had it about 4 years but found it really lags on selections. Tried watching Netflix on it the other evening and it paused the sound occasionally so just gave up. Might be a dodgy stick but I just don't find it very intuitive anyway so maybe one of the boxes you've mentioned would be better.
himikey29/07/2020 00:55

Thanks, I've looked at a few review videos for each and will have a think. …Thanks, I've looked at a few review videos for each and will have a think. My Firestick has barely been used. I've had it about 4 years but found it really lags on selections. Tried watching Netflix on it the other evening and it paused the sound occasionally so just gave up. Might be a dodgy stick but I just don't find it very intuitive anyway so maybe one of the boxes you've mentioned would be better.

Maybe worth trying to reset your firestick and try again. I use one and it’s great. I use it for a number of apps and it’s spot on. Is it getting good WiFi to it? Good internet speed?
georgeb29/07/2020 09:06

Maybe worth trying to reset your firestick and try again. I use one and …Maybe worth trying to reset your firestick and try again. I use one and it’s great. I use it for a number of apps and it’s spot on. Is it getting good WiFi to it? Good internet speed?

Yeah I've got good speeds and I've even tried on different connections (I've moved house a couple of times over the last few years) and it's just so slow. I might try a factory reset and see if that helps. Thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants