Groups

Recommendations for TV damage insurance

With TV's costing so much and standard contents insurance having so many exclusion clauses has anyone experience of specific TV home insurance for high priced TV's that is realistic? tia.

15 Comments

Buy TV with the free insurance included. Richard sounds or John lewis.. Amazon also do add on insurance if you go that way.. I would not buy from anyone else.

I claimed only last year on my normal home contents accidental damage cover for a plasma that was dropped while being moved. It was a VT series Panasonic so around £1k when bought about 6yrs ago. Simple call to the insurance company with a emailed photo of the damage and they gave me a cheque for an equivalent current mid to high end model Panasonic.
    Most insurance companies will ask for details of any high value items in the home, I don't think damaged TV claims are particular unusual.

edit: I did have £75 Excess to pay but I did get a cheque for £800 for a 5yr+ old Tv so nice to know some insurance companies still offer a decent service. Was Swinton btw
    Edited by: "Uridium" 11th Dec 2016

Original Poster

Good point wayners. Sadly we never opted for the insurance cover from Currys last month when we bought. Checking our own contents cover, i dont think we would be covered for any damage caused by one of our dogs. The excess @ £250 specifically for unspecified electrical item damage also seems somewhat unreasonable. I will look at the Amazon option. thanks.

Original Poster

Uridium

edit: I did have £75 Excess to pay but I did get a cheque for £800 for a 5 … edit: I did have £75 Excess to pay but I did get a cheque for £800 for a 5yr+ old Tv so nice to know some insurance companies still offer a decent service. Was Swinton btw

Thanks, will have a look at Swinton.

Extended warranty doesn't always cover accidental damage so worth checking that.
    Domestic and General cover covers for some time and seems decent in my experience, benefit of this over home insurance is no excesses and no risk of higher home insurance for years to come.

Original Poster

A2DY_

Extended warranty doesn't always cover accidental damage so worth … Extended warranty doesn't always cover accidental damage so worth checking that. Domestic and General cover covers for some time and seems decent in my experience, benefit of this over home insurance is no excesses and no risk of higher home insurance for years to come.

i am definitely leaning towards a separate policy for a few named high price electrical items. General Contents cover has become so cut throat these days i often wonder if we would struggle getting any realistic payout

gibblesuk

i am definitely leaning towards a separate policy for a few named high … i am definitely leaning towards a separate policy for a few named high price electrical items. General Contents cover has become so cut throat these days i often wonder if we would struggle getting any realistic payout

I agree. With my bank account I get extended warranty for an extra year above manufacturer and accidental damage for 2 years with D&G and then if I want further cover call them before it expires and they usually offer something at a decent price.

Banned

the company that argos uses, try them. tgm I think they are. your looking around £250 for 5 years
    the jl and richer sounds offer breakdown not if the tv is damaged!

Original Poster

Thanks sofiasar, i don't want to be tied down to a 5 year policy - it's quite likely i will change the TV within the next year anyway. A year-on-year cover would be ideal.

I use Sky Protect, covers all the Sky equipment plus you can add your TV, IPad, Mobile phone etc I pay £4.99 a month

Also my Samsung Smart TV went wrong after a year and they repaired it, would have cost nearly £200 otherwise!

So you're specifically looking for an accidental damage cover for a tv where the damage is caused by your dogs.

Has this already happened by any chance?
    Edited by: "developers" 11th Dec 2016

Im with aviva, via my housing.
    Accidental damage is covered
    Ive claimed on a ipad with cracked screen and spilt coffee on my iphone.
    Costs me £1.92 a week

Original Poster

developers

So you're specifically looking for an accidental damage cover for a tv … So you're specifically looking for an accidental damage cover for a tv where the damage is caused by your dogs.Has this already happened by any chance?

Not all people are thieves.

https://s29.postimg.org/6jt8dmu7b/image.jpg

No it hasnt happened. Seems dumb not covering damage caused by household pets when they are the most likely to be the ones to cause the damage in the first place.

gibblesuk

Not all people are thieves. No it hasnt happened. Seems dumb not covering … Not all people are thieves. No it hasnt happened. Seems dumb not covering damage caused by household pets when they are the most likely to be the ones to cause the damage in the first place.

​thats the point, insurers wont want to cover an event which is likely to occur frequently.

price vs risk
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheapest way to call landline, UK to Ireland78
      2. Any now tv entertainment offers going on???11
      3. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?914
      4. Mayweather vs Mcgregor66

See more discussions