Recommendations: Lenovo P2, Honor 8 or something else?

Found 24th Mar 2017
:Edit: I've updated the title as it seems apparent that the SU7 is definitely not the way to go. So far the front runners are easily the Lenovo P2 and have been starting to look at the Honor 8 if I fancy spending a little more. The Honor 8 pro may be getting announced April 5th though.

Hi all,

Managed to accidentally kill my Smart Ultra 6 over the weekend and need something to replace it. I was perfectly happy with the SU6 and if I could of gotten a new replacement for sub £100 I probably would of just bought a 2nd one, but that doesn't seem to be the case with only SU7s being around.

I don't really use my phone for anything intensive like gaming so a £135 SU7 will probably do me fine without lagging, however there are probably better options out there for that price or some that are worth paying the extra for. I'd love to get some suggestions and opinions on the SU7 or anything you think I should looking out for. One of the things I did like about the SU6 was it's fairly stock android os with very little vodafone bloatware on it.

At the moment I have been looking into the new Moto G5 (£179), and G5+ (£???)

I did look at the recent Lenovo ZUK Z2 deal that was on here but as I'm on Giffgaff it wasn't really compatible with it for 4g.

Thanks for any suggestions

15 Comments

I went for a Samsung galaxy j5 yesterday from eglobal central.
Edited by: "rick5cass" 24th Mar 2017

Get another SU6, much better than the 7.

It's a little more, but the lenovo p2 is pretty good. It's £200 from 3 (plus £10 air time, but of you know some with a 3 number, you could just that and save the money!) All phones from 3 are unlocked.

if you can get a One Plus 2 or above then I 100% recommend best phone I've owned! just look on eBay gumtree all the usual stuff

Original Poster

Cheers for the replies so far. I'll have a look into them all, although for another SU6 I'd be looking at 2nd hand or £150 on ebay.
As it happens, I'd actually just been looking at the Lenovo P2 tonight after seeing the £210 deal on here. There was also a OnePlus 3T (not new) deal on here for £260 ish but required a bit of hassle to get it seems.

I suppose at around these prices it might be worth me keeping myself open to contract deals with phones if there are any bargains out there, I generally pay £10 a month for giffgaff.

lenovo p2; £205 from three.

I have had both
In the price range I would recommend p9 lite or p8 lite new 2017 version
You will never get decent deal on ebay

Bres

Cheers for the replies so far. I'll have a look into them all, although … Cheers for the replies so far. I'll have a look into them all, although for another SU6 I'd be looking at 2nd hand or £150 on ebay.As it happens, I'd actually just been looking at the Lenovo P2 tonight after seeing the £210 deal on here. There was also a OnePlus 3T (not new) deal on here for £260 ish but required a bit of hassle to get it seems.I suppose at around these prices it might be worth me keeping myself open to contract deals with phones if there are any bargains out there, I generally pay £10 a month for giffgaff.

​I would rather have the SU6 than the SU7 the SU6 has a Snapdragon processor and the SU7 has the inferior Mediatek chip.

Original Poster

So far I keep coming back to the Lenovo P2 (damn, that battery!) as the best option with possible competition from the Moto G5+.
Cheapest new SU6 is close to £170, so unless I can find a 2nd hand one I'd be happy with I might as well pay the extra and upgrade to something like the P2.
Have been keeping my eye out for good Oneplus deals.
I did look at both of the Huaweis and I can't remember what turned me off about them. Might of been the OS skin, I'll have to look into them again.
I did look at the the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 and 4X until it seem neither of them do band 20 for 4g either.
I thought I found a great contender in the LeEco Le Max 2 until I saw report of issues with fingerprint scanners, the fact there appears to be a few different versions of it, 1 that may support band 20 and 1 that doesn't, and then started reading that it's battery life isn't great due to the 2k screen. So I started to think it may be more hassle than it's worth.

I'm still looking around though so any more suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I suppose I should ask whilst I'm here. Anyone who has a Lenovo P2, are there any cons about it I should consider before I pick it, if I did? How's the launcher and OS skin? I seem to remember reading it wasn't quite stock android.

I sold my SU6 after buying a SU7 thinking it would be better. How wrong I was.
Managed to get a Wileyfox Swift 2 for £110 off Amazon and I would recommend it. A nice cheap phone with decent enough specs and really fast charging.

lenovo p2 all day 5100 mAh battery 2/3 day life easy.

Original Poster

I've actually been trying to not let myself get carried away by how awesome the battery is, just because 3000mah in the SU6 served me fine. Not that a bigger battery wouldn't be a bonus.

I've been slowly reading my way through the comments on the Lenovo P2 deal and while doing so I did find the Honor 8 which looks tempting but a little more expensive. I'm not all that found on the EMUI it has (which was my thoughts with the other Huaweis) but a different launcher could solve most of that surely?

Anyone got any experience with the Honor 8?

Either way, they both seem to be Three exclusives some I'm guessing a trip to the store may be on the cards.

Original Poster

Bought a Lenovo P2 this afternoon. Haven't had chance to set it all up properly yet but so far I'm happy. I did have a look at the Honor 8, looked a very nice phone but I couldn't get a proper look at it as it was clamped in place EMUI wasn't for me. Not sure how much difference another launcher would of made but the notifications etc.. just made it so that it didn't wow me enough to want to spend any extra for it.

honor 8

emui has best of both android and iOS. 2nd huawei phone. loving it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions