Groups
    EXPIRED

Recommended adults bike

Please help. I am looking at getting a bike to cycle to work (10min journey) and Ive been searching the internet all weekend and came across this deal.

amazon.co.uk/exe…OLE

It looks well specd to the untrained eye (ie dual suspension and disk brakes) but I could do with a second opinion. Ive got a £100-£120 to spend and my inside leg is 34. Also this description says suitable for inside leg measurement of 29-35 but the frame size is 16, I thought I would need a 20 bike frame. Thanks in advance. Oh, and im a bloke!

8 Comments

To be honest you want to be looking for a no frills bike. No suspension at all.
    For your price range you wont be able to get any suspension that's worth having.
    You want to spend your money on a hybrid bike without suspension (if possible) so that the other components are better and more durable.

do you work for the council or an employer who will subsidise bike purchases?

Original Poster

RAF. Not signed up to such a scheme.

Original Poster

To be honest you want to be looking for a no frills bike. No suspension … To be honest you want to be looking for a no frills bike. No suspension at all.For your price range you wont be able to get any suspension that's worth having.You want to spend your money on a hybrid bike without suspension (if possible) so that the other components are better and more durable.

Even if i buy a bike without suspension, who's to say if its any good.

]I have placed an order for this one.

Had a look at a smaller version of it in one of the bike shops in the City and it looked very solid and well made.

Check out the littlewoods direct site, I just got a £350 bike for a little over £150 there using the 30% off a first purchase voucher they email to you when you sign up. They have a good selection of decent bikes, might be worth you checking it out :).

Don't be put off by people moaning about littlewoods vouchers either, since if you sign up and it is your first purchase there'll be absolutely no issues with the voucher code.

This is the bike incase you're interested, it was on a special deal anyway then the code took an extra 30% off, but it's back to normal price now.. littlewoodsdirect.com/rf/…137

If this is the right size for you it's a great buy for what you need it for and it's £139.99 including delivery in a 20" frame size.

Previous years' bikes are sometimes available at a good knockdown price and this is certainly one of them. Dawes is a reputable maker and uses decent parts that should last a while - if your daily journey is only 10 minutes then it should last a long long time. My last Dawes lasted 3 years on a 2 hour daily roundtrip commute with minimal servicing and just a couple of tyres in that time and was similar in many respects to this one.

winstanleysbikes.co.uk/pro…007

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/images/prod_11749.jpg

Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. I went for this Giant Rainier Disc (2009) for £299 which seem like a good bike. Link below:
    winstanleysbikes.co.uk/pro…009
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/images/prod_19183.jpg
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Xiaomi phones57
      2. Buying crypto currencies22
      3. Sky or virgin66
      4. Best graphics card between £100-£15022

See more discussions