Recommended affordable getaways for family of 3 (with toddler)

Posted 7th Jan
Hi guys, I'm looking to take the misses and the little man away for a few days to a week and was hoping to get some recommendations. We have a 2 year old and I was hoping to get some suggestions from some couples who have taken a toddler away with them.

We live in Northern Ireland and are looking for something affordable but general recommendations are welcome!

Where have you been with young kids that was affordable and fun!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Prague.
Easyjet with a big wheeled stroller for when the kiddo was tired of walking (went same age).

Most hotels will supply a "romper" cot.

Coffee, walks, sights, beers, castles, river, trams for around the city & further afield, underground metro etc etc. can be done on the cheap. especially based on prices that get cheaper the further away from the square that you are.plenty of supermarkets so you can have earlyish nights in your hotel with a toddler & not feel imprisoned whilst sampling some Czech fare.
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 7th Jan
Mr_Gus07/01/2020 13:47

Prague.Easyjet with a big wheeled stroller for when the kiddo was tired of …Prague.Easyjet with a big wheeled stroller for when the kiddo was tired of walking (went same age).Most hotels will supply a "romper" cot.Coffee, walks, sights, beers, castles, river, trams for around the city & further afield, underground metro etc etc. can be done on the cheap. especially based on prices that get cheaper the further away from the square that you are.plenty of supermarkets so you can have earlyish nights in your hotel with a toddler & not feel imprisoned whilst sampling some Czech fare.

Thanks I'll have to start looking at Prague, never would have thought to go there.
So many "rest stop" gorgeous cafe bars to pop into for soup & a bread roll / beer / coffee etc it made it easy.
We tended to stay up near the powder bridge end (cheaper but still v. close to city centre).

Wenceslas sq is really disappointing unless you are a major history buff & go to "that window" at the opposite end of a long walk (with a toddler).
Just over from the charles bridge on the less busy side are nice cafes & space, (when not flooded) quieter but still busy & pretty, grand views abound.

A "krtek" mole kid size mug & t-shirt are a must for your kid imho when visiting. (it is the home of kretk anyway).
My then toddler daughter was upset at the thought of her stroller disappearing into the gaping maw of oversize luggage, ..the only time she ever had a problem at an airport / travelling ..so you might want to explain how it is "following us & being loaded separately because it is special" & just below our feet in the planes tummy!Trams are great & cheap, buy a day ticket & make use of them.

The Best Western Plus Hotel Meteor Plaza "sometimes" offers deals, the breakfast was ok, lift was "TINY" but generally we stayed somewhere a bit more budget traveller orientated (like a converted office block that was all concrete with concrete corridors) ...take earplugs just in case.

Also, if going in MAY, Chamonix is AWESOME! the town is enough just to mooch & people watch.
Pierre vacance maeva apts in chamonix sud (self catering) about 150 metres from main strip, balcony (high rail) ..great, we go there a lot, check the prices. may is when the transition between low & high season comes in, less is open (but plenty is) ..& the sun is usually glorious 28 -32c. ..car optional, room about 350 euro. Switzerland & Italy within spitting distance.

Car drive from geneva is good & simple.
OR pre-book an easybus transfer to the centre of town (200 metres from maeva apts).
Get a free travel pass for the 3 of you allowing use of bus, the "mulet" & trains up & down the valley (though the trains tend to rest over the 1/2 term week too).
"Mulet" electric buses (carrying about 12 people circle the town top to bottom, stops all over & takes the strain of weary feet!
The "chamonice" ice cream for your kid becomes a customary daily treat, (3 euros a scoop getting cheaper the more you have) ..it is so good! ...restaurants & cafes, bars & shops allow animals, ..plenty of nice doggo's to say hello to.

Dog muck, not much ...the french have got much better! ..we use the term "MR BROWN" to highlight a street mess & our daughter learnt the rhyme
"When you are in town, always look down, in case you tread on MR BROWN" ..we still use this despite the fact she is now 15 years old.
Bask in the sun, speak awkward french to folk (or not) ..drink good coffee & chocolat chaud (hot).
Walk, stroll. find a lump of melting snow on the pass through to switzerland, eat good pizza (at the caveau)...RELAX & recharge in an alpine environ covered by mountains on all sides.

Town square water troughs to spray dad with cold water in a "mainly" pedestrian environment. ...no problem going into a place for a singular coffee / croissant & "borrow" a loo.
IF you hire a car, then the mahoosive supermarket in sallanche (down the hill) is fantastic for cheap eats including a not bad steak (blue please) for around 12 euro, main, pudding, coffee ....lots of choice & food steak / fish etc cooked to order in front of you, then help yourself to the assorted hot dishes! ..value PLUS !!! ..also good for crepes for the nipper!

If you like beer then the "beer o clock" is great, casual & dispenses beers by the ML (self serve).

IF you go once you may wish to spend on the nigh on pointless cable car up to the top of the aguile du midi (smokers beware) ..which is overpriced unless you are going to ski / board down the valley run in winter to the mere du glace train back to town.

mere du glace train can be bought separately one way or return, still gets you to nice altitude (go early, drink coffee, walk back to town (but not with a kid) ..typically negotiating a wee bit of snow at around 1800 metres as you descend.
If you want to eat well but cheaply a 3 course meal can be had for about 17.50 euro pp or a really good italian opposite zero-G shop does crazy good filling pizza, pasta & sandwiches, coffee, beers & a very filling dish will likely beat you at around 10 euro without having to go through the mont blanc tunnel to italy.
May is also great thermals for parapenters if you fancy getting some altitude (birthday present for trips simply "up" or over the aguile du midi!

We go several times per year, booking easyjet & pierre vacance early, don't need granite worktops just a place to kip!

(ask for a high floor less noise ..ideally 5th floor).

ANy questions please ask & i'll go into detail
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 7th Jan
I would suggest Disneyland Paris
From Northern Ireland too and we went to Disney Paris - not sure if it’s the same but it was allot cheaper if your child was under 6 I think. We also did Cbeebies land at Alton towers. Only you will know if they are maybe too young at the minute to enjoy.
Our first holiday was to the Manor Marine Cottages in Enniskillen - you could pay a bit more and have access to the Hotel pool etc. Same idea at the Killyhevlin Lodges but a bit more expensive. (Obviously both are beside the Lough so just need to keep an eye on them).
Enniskillen has plenty to do for a week and you don’t have the hassle of airports etc
BalooCrimson07/01/2020 14:35

I would suggest Disneyland Paris

That's an awful suggestion. The child wouldn't be able to go on anything
MonkeyMan9007/01/2020 22:18

That's an awful suggestion. The child wouldn't be able to go on anything

You would be surprised
BalooCrimson08/01/2020 07:28

You would be surprised

No I wouldn't. I went with a 3 year old last year
Edited by: "MonkeyMan90" 8th Jan
MonkeyMan9008/01/2020 08:43

No I wouldn't. I went with a 3 year old last year