Recommended bluetooth transmitter for TV?

Posted 15th Mar
Choice is overwhelming, right?

I have an old TV that I want to hook up to a bluetooth receiver so I can watch it wirelessly with bluetooth headphones.

Seems to be a lot of choice (mainly no brand imports - although they might be fine) so wondered if the HUKers have any recommendations?

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
You need a bluetooth transmitter
jco8315/03/2020 21:19

You need a bluetooth transmitter

Thats what I meant. Thanks!
I have done this. My circa 10 year old LED TV has a 3.5mm audio socket on the side.
One key thing about listening to TV via Bluetooth is, it needs to be 'low latency' or you will get annoying lip sync lag.
You will need both transmitter and receiver to be low latency.
e.g.
amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

I think that if it says 'aptX' or 'Bluetooth 5.0' then it's low latency.
You pair the transmitter and receiver and plug earphones into receiver for sofa listening.
A bonus is that the sound field is wide, detailed and hifi. Speech is very clear. So the experience can be better than using TV speakers.
harrythefish16/03/2020 17:35

I have done this. My circa 10 year old LED TV has a 3.5mm audio socket on …I have done this. My circa 10 year old LED TV has a 3.5mm audio socket on the side.One key thing about listening to TV via Bluetooth is, it needs to be 'low latency' or you will get annoying lip sync lag.You will need both transmitter and receiver to be low latency.e.g.https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01NACN8PY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1I think that if it says 'aptX' or 'Bluetooth 5.0' then it's low latency.You pair the transmitter and receiver and plug earphones into receiver for sofa listening.A bonus is that the sound field is wide, detailed and hifi. Speech is very clear. So the experience can be better than using TV speakers.

Really useful info, thank you!
harrythefish17/03/2020 12:28

This is the receiver I use. FiiO uBTR Bluetooth Receiver with Built in …This is the receiver I use. FiiO uBTR Bluetooth Receiver with Built in Mic and aptX Support

That is a receiver not a transmitter.
harrythefish16/03/2020 17:35

I think that if it says 'aptX' or 'Bluetooth 5.0' then it's low latency.

Bluetooth classic hasn't changed significantly since version 3, almost all of the changes in 4 and 5 concern Bluetooth low energy, which is a different protocol not used by audio devices (although Bluetooth 5 is hoping to change that for future devices).

Encode and decode latency does depend partly on how complex the format is, a basic one like AptX does require less CPU power, but a lot of it comes down to the specific devices.
fablanta19/03/2020 14:55

That is a receiver not a transmitter.

"This is the receiver I use" erm, yes.
EndlessWaves19/03/2020 15:23

Bluetooth classic hasn't changed significantly since version 3, almost all …Bluetooth classic hasn't changed significantly since version 3, almost all of the changes in 4 and 5 concern Bluetooth low energy, which is a different protocol not used by audio devices (although Bluetooth 5 is hoping to change that for future devices). Encode and decode latency does depend partly on how complex the format is, a basic one like AptX does require less CPU power, but a lot of it comes down to the specific devices.

I have an Griffin iTrip receiver which uses older Bluetooth standard. It works nicely enough but is useless for TV due to the latency. The FiiO uBTR receiver combined with the Aptx transmitter I mentioned further up provide acceptable latency. The FiiO receiver also has usable latency with my recent Lenovo laptop.
Edited by: "harrythefish" 19th Mar
harrythefish19/03/2020 17:23

"This is the receiver I use" erm, yes.

Title: Recommended bluetooth >>>transmitter<<< for TV?
Edited by: "fablanta" 19th Mar
Ok, look, I'm looking for a device to hook up to the tv that I can then pick up with bluetooth headphones.

Reciever / transmitter... whatever one it is.
Your transmitter to plug into TV audio socket:
amazon.co.uk/gp/…PY/

And then to pick up the audio on your sofa, plug your earphones into this:
amazon.co.uk/Fii…6F4
Edited by: "harrythefish" 20th Mar
Thanks. I purchased bluetooth enabled headphones, so I guess it's just the transmitter I need.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants