Groups

Recommended Google Cloud Print compatible printer? Instant Ink any good?

I need to get a printer for my parents to use with their Chromebook. Ideally something quite compact, they do not need a built-in scanner. Also with the option to use cheap or generic cartridges. Are the Instant Ink deals any good for light use or are you locked into a subscription service that's difficult to get out of?

They currently have a Canon MP495 wireless printer which I set up for them using my lappy but their Chromebook doesn't see this printer unless my lappy is running and acting as a print server!

11 Comments

And you can email there new printer with notes and messages. I hear thats a fun way to message them. I like hp printers but don't have a wifi printer myself yet

This is the one I was looking at. tesco.com/dir…prd?skuId=678-5267&pageLevel=sku&source=awin&awc=7090_1496952286_603d35672b47a514d57d203c6976ef03&sc_cmp=aff*awin*gmo*OfferoftheDay_60612&utm_medium=gmo&utm_source=affiliate_window&utm_campaign=aff*OfferoftheDay_60612

Link don't work? Anyway HP Envy 5540, Wireless All-in-One Inkjet Colour Printer, A4 - HP Instant Ink Ready (Inc. 3 Month Free Trial) Catalogue Number:678-5267

Instant ink isn't bad if you do the 50 pages (or more), it only becomes really good if you print a lot of ink-heavy pages like photographs.

You aren't locked in exactly, but the instant ink cartridges only work when your subscription is active (to prevent you just buying a month when needed) so if you want to cancel it then you have to buy an entirely new set of ink.

I've just got a laser printer after getting sick and tired of my ink constantly drying up as we're very light users. you can get relatively compact ones these days if you don't need a scanner and the mono ones are even cheaper. if they're very light users I'd seriously consider a laser as it'll be cheaper in the long run.

Instant Ink is superb. I have an HP printer and love using Instant Ink. Takes all the hassle out of it for a low cost. Don't forget to use code FREEINK for an extra free month. Plus get a referral code off a friendly friend for an extra month as well. Every little helps. Feel free to get in touch by PM if you need any further information.

Oh, and it's brill to just use phone apps to print. I take a pic wherever, send it to the printer via Messenger and the printer tells me what a great shot it is then prints it out!!

I was looking at the HP Envy models etc, but i'm unsure which is best to get etc, this one below seems to fit my needs but is it worth buying the more expensive versions such as the 5640, 5540 or 5544 although not too much difference in comparisn etc

Which did you decide to purchase?

HP OfficeJet Pro 8715 - £64.99 after cashback [now expired] and included 42 months worth of Instant Ink (worth £84 alone), very pleased with it, the printer was basically free and I saved £20 compared to the actual costs of the instant ink subscribtion.

hotukdeals.com/dea…664
    Edited by: "dcx_badass" 12th Jun

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I ended up getting them a HP Deskjet 3730 from PC World for 45 quid pcworld.co.uk/gbu…tml - the main attraction was the free instant ink 15 pages per month for the lifetime of the printer.

Likewise I got the 8715 and am very happy with it. Years and years of hassle-free printing. HP have already sent me my next batch of cartridges. Now I need to find some nice cheap photo paper.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Underrated/unappreciated movies.2841
      2. word association Game74044555
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767402
      4. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would28109

See more discussions