Recommended plants for hanging basket

Posted 14th May
I would like to put together a selection of plants for a hanging basket as gift.
This is my first experience in this and so far I have everything I need expect the plants.

Please could you recommend plants one would plot for a basket?
Many thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
Begonia, Fuchsia, Lobelia, Petunia, Surfinia, Verbena, Petchoa, Diascia...
Just Google "plants for hanging basket", plenty of links and articles to read.
40741658-KWqLt.jpg

40741658-TaU08.jpg
Aldi were/are doing a hanging basket DIY plant selection. 6 plants for (I think) £3.99ish.
I bought trailing geraniums x 6 from Lidl for £3.99 they are really good size plants and they are ideal for hanging baskets
My approach is normally which ever tray looks good and is cheap when I pass somewhere selling them.

You wanted something different you could do an edible one with herbs or even dwarf veg.
I would add Bizzie Lizzie (Impatiens) to the list you have been provided with so far.
Try to avoid overcrowding. The bigger the basket the more different plants you can add.
Personally, I find a single variety if done well can be quite stunning. The Surfinia varietys of petunia have some really good colours which cascade down from the basket. Other petunias can also be good especially the new striped colour varieties.
There is a definite art to creating a really good display in a hanging basket. Start small and build up over the years your experiences.
britlad14/05/2020 06:40

Aldi were/are doing a hanging basket DIY plant selection. 6 plants for (I …Aldi were/are doing a hanging basket DIY plant selection. 6 plants for (I think) £3.99ish.

yes I got one and I thought excellent value,I got purple one and it filled the hanging basket nice, tho my already done and I sure was only 2.99
Pricklerickle14/05/2020 11:27

yes I got one and I thought excellent value,I got purple one and it filled …yes I got one and I thought excellent value,I got purple one and it filled the hanging basket nice, tho my already done and I sure was only 2.99

Just at my local seven kings and plants are pretty much dead apart from the tin baskets you hook on.
rimalpatel00714/05/2020 12:19

Just at my local seven kings and plants are pretty much dead apart from …Just at my local seven kings and plants are pretty much dead apart from the tin baskets you hook on.

mine look fantastic, the adli staff even helped me untangle the chains
Managed to pick these up for £6.50 from Lidl

40745612-TFkgO.jpg
Also try cherry tomatoes too. Plant seeds in little pots, when seedlings are about 1 inch high, transfer 2 or 3 into a hanging basket. Water well. Water every couple of days and feed with tomato plant food weekly. Not as pretty as flowers, but tasty.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions