Found 17th Jul 2014
After finding that my hard drive is starting to die on me, I have decided to buy a SSD. Only I now hear that some are a lot slower on small files, and some are less reliable.
I'm wanting to spend about £50 - £60 for a 120gb SSD, which one would be the most reliable or the fastest?
Cheers.

1. Ask
  2. SSD
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. SSD
4 Comments

IMO I wouldn't look too much at the small file transfer speed, because they are small they will be almost instant anyway.
The key thing is the speed of the machine you are putting it in. If the laptop is only sata 2 for example then a top of the range sata 3 would only run at sata 2 speeds and limited by what your machine can handle.

Extremetech sugest Intel are the way forward for reliability. The only safe way is to keep backups and as you are only going for a 120 gig drive it cost much to keep a backup of your key stuff on a quality memory stick or external hard drive. The drive itself would be covered by warranty.
Edited by: "Bitofageek" 17th Jul 2014

Original Poster

Thanks for the link, I was only planning on keeping the OS and a couple of programs and games on the SSD anyway so warrenty is the best safety net I'll need.
I'm using an ASRock H61m-VS motherboard, which on sites says its using a 3Gbit/s Sata connector, which I'm assuming is probably a sata2 due to the age. So I think I'll go look for an intel then.
Thanks again for the info.

I've got crucial in my server but have just purchased a Samsung evo 120 for my office pc

Yeah, sata 2.

Glad I could help
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247667
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769606
    3. Add one, leave one game54415467
    4. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522885

See more discussions