Groups

Record player advice

Hi everyone looking at getting a record player, need some advice.

Never brought a vinyl player before. Had a Google and getting a bit confused about it all. Looking for something with inbuilt speakers. Space is a premium right now.

Anyone purchased any recently and offer up some advice?

Been told a suit case type with the vinyl over hanging at one end isn't good, is this right?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

B

11 Comments

have you got a serious amount of cherished records? if not, stick to CD's and MP3's and a micro system, I've yet to hear a record sound as good as CD/Flac in all honesty. And I own a Rega turntable...

good record players dont come with inbuilt speakers.

You need an 80s decks i.e. made by DUAL on ebay, about 40 quid each.
    then a proper amp and speakers. I.e. denon amp and wharfdale diamond speakers.

A good turntable with a clean record can sound better than a cd system.

But if you buy some plasticy modern cheapy turntable then it will sound worse than a cd or mp3 in which case you may as well just listen to cd.
    Plus a cheap record player will ruin records

lumsdot

...A good turntable with a clean record can sound better than a cd system.

The selection of phonograph cylinder, magnetic cartridge (pickup/needle), or stylus is probably as, if not more, important.

Buy a technics with a sapphire stylus and speed controllable aluminium turntable
    Not the cheapest option but certainly you won't regret it and if it's not your taste then you can resell it easily

If you want to be seriously cool for the rest of your life this is for you WOW!

Edited by: "sowotsdis" 29th Aug 2016

Original Poster

Thanks for the advic3 so far guys really helpful. Will see what I can find with ur guys help.

Everytime I hear about record players I always remember this sketch from Not the Nine O'clock News.

Gav57

Everytime I hear about record players I always remember this sketch from … Everytime I hear about record players I always remember this sketch from Not the Nine O'clock News.

I think of the same sketch when I read comment #2.

sowotsdis

If you want to be seriously cool for the rest of your life this is for … If you want to be seriously cool for the rest of your life this is for you WOW!

sowotsdis

If you want to be seriously cool for the rest of your life this is for … If you want to be seriously cool for the rest of your life this is for you WOW!

Rubbish! The AMSTRAD SM104 is what you need in your life...

http://images10.postadsuk.com/2015/10/28/postadsuk.com-retro-amstrad-sm104-vertical-linear-tracking-turntable-twin-tape-deck-tuner-hifi-system-audio-amp-st.JPG

...except when the stylus jumps & never returns to the vinyl!

AMSTRAD SM104 - A.K.A The Vinyl lathe.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best tablet for 100-150? Quid11
      2. Glazing Clay Pots for Drinking22
      3. How are Very for pre-orders ?33
      4. Furniture Sliders45

See more discussions