Recordable tv box

Posted 19th Apr
Hi
Having recently moved and don't have sky any more, what do people recommend as a recordable box for TV programmes? Also good points of having the box
Many thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

26 Comments
If you have a newish tv, it may allow you to connect a HDD to it to allow you to record TV?
HUMAX refurbs, I've had one & never had a problem with it. You need to decide if you want freeview or freesat,have you got an aerial or will you be using you existing sky dish. What are you recording, as a lot of programs you can get on catch up without the need to record it.
Edited by: "richp" 19th Apr
We left sky and bought a Humax. It's very good. Connected it to our old sky dish. You can record two channels at a time, use you tube and Netflix. I'm sure the newer models are even better now.
Edited by: "markpj777" 19th Apr
+1 for Humax, we ditched rip off over priced Sky about 7 years ago and bought two Humax HD freeview recorders for the household, both have worked faultlessly for all these years plus there's no need for an ugly satellite dish with freeview.
The epg and recording planner is also nice and easy to navigate.
40462443-FznQG.jpg
Edited by: "PaulandPam" 19th Apr
I use Youview box from Plusnet. Costs about £5 a month on a plan and includes loads of catch up channels, plus Netflix and Prime and loads of internet tv channels ( Discovery etc). Just plug and go. If you're not a Plusnet or BT customer you can buy the boxes cheaply without a subscription but then you have to source your internet channel subs yourself.
(A tip for anyone on Plusnet. When you come to the end of your contract, cancel your tv before renewing/ changing your broadband, then restart. You get a new set top box and can use the other in a bedroom etc - Just don't connect it to the internet. )
I use a second hand Youview 4k box , Made by Humax. These are reliable and cheapish. uk.webuy.com/pro…lta
Humax box with 2 years warranty from CEX (example in prev post) is generally the standard solution for this often asked question.
Assumes you have access to functional old skool terrestrial antenna for Freeview, or suitable dish if going Freesat route which tends to command more cash for the box.
40464349-KfHPn.jpgNice profit to be had on these by CEX
Edited by: "rwalto159" 19th Apr
Humax is the way to go if only for the decent epg. Tried some of the cheap no name versions but the programme guide was awful. I now have 3 satellite Humax boxes, two of which were refurbs from humaxdirect.
can you get 4K freeview recorders?

what’s the difference between freeview & freesat?
Mendoza19/04/2020 15:15

can you get 4K freeview recorders?what’s the difference between freeview & …can you get 4K freeview recorders?what’s the difference between freeview & freesat?

Yes the BT Youview box is 4K (usually loads on eBay/Gumtree/CEX). Not that there is any 4k content on freeview but the apps will show 4K content.

FreeVIEW is received through a TV Aerial
FreeSAT is received through a Satellite dish
Edited by: "Uridium" 19th Apr
Uridium19/04/2020 15:17

Yes the BT Youview box is 4K (usually loads on eBay/Gumtree/CEX). Not that …Yes the BT Youview box is 4K (usually loads on eBay/Gumtree/CEX). Not that there is any 4k content on freeview but the apps will show 4K content.FreeVIEW is received through a TV AerialFreeSAT is received through a Satellite dish

is it easy to set it up with the satellite?

like is it just a case of unplugging a cable from the sky box, and putting it into the bt box?

will I need a BT account?
Just plug it in and tune the channels. You don't need any sort of subscription for freesat channels. All you will need to do is change thre connector on thr end of the satellite cable (simple job).The advantage of a BT or Plusnet subscription is that it bundles together several channels and works out cheaper than subscribing individually.
dorack_uk19/04/2020 09:59

If you have a newish tv, it may allow you to connect a HDD to it to allow …If you have a newish tv, it may allow you to connect a HDD to it to allow you to record TV?

A word of warning.

Check that the specifics of the TV record mode suit your needs. On my Hisense I must watch the show I am recording or switch the TV off while the recording takes place.
Mendoza19/04/2020 22:00

is it easy to set it up with the satellite?like is it just a case of …is it easy to set it up with the satellite?like is it just a case of unplugging a cable from the sky box, and putting it into the bt box?will I need a BT account?

Not aware of BT having ever shifted/branded a sat box. CEX will shift you a Humax Freesat box that may meet your expectations, without any requirement for BT account.
AndyRoyd19/04/2020 22:12

Not aware of BT having ever shifted/branded a sat box. CEX will shift you …Not aware of BT having ever shifted/branded a sat box. CEX will shift you a Humax Freesat box that may meet your expectations, without any requirement for BT account.

If you can find one on sale there!
Mendoza19/04/2020 22:00

is it easy to set it up with the satellite?like is it just a case of …is it easy to set it up with the satellite?like is it just a case of unplugging a cable from the sky box, and putting it into the bt box?will I need a BT account?

You're getting mixed up.

The BT humax box is Freeview ( Youview ). That requires an Aerial not a satellite dish. You don't need a BT account, You can use it to record and for free apps like the catch up tv, netflix etc.. you just won't have the BT channels or certain BT apps etc..

You can also get Humax Freesat boxes that use Sky dish etc..
ok so it’s definitely the freesat box I want, I want to get as many channels as I can

I don’t think my tv records tv

I actually watch a lot of shows on kodi anyway, to be honest
is there such thing as a freeview/freesat hybrid recorder?
Edited by: "Mendoza" 1st May
Got a youview one, open box from crampton and Moore £50, fantastic machine but no WiFi for iplayer/ nowtv, ethernet connection only.
eelvis01/05/2020 20:50

Got a youview one, open box from crampton and Moore £50, fantastic machine …Got a youview one, open box from crampton and Moore £50, fantastic machine but no WiFi for iplayer/ nowtv, ethernet connection only.

Yes, that's usual. You need a pair of powerline adapters.
Using roku stick, cheers
the one I’m looking at is a humax hdr 1100S 1tb, it’s used, £150

is this a good one?
Mendoza01/05/2020 19:43

is there such thing as a freeview/freesat hybrid recorder?

No, but given that the channel lists are almost identical these days very few people would have any use for one.

Freesat gets a couple of foreign news channels, but drops channel 4 HD and one or two others IIRC.

Freeview would be the safer choice and gives you much more choice.
EndlessWaves01/05/2020 22:32

No, but given that the channel lists are almost identical these days very …No, but given that the channel lists are almost identical these days very few people would have any use for one.Freesat gets a couple of foreign news channels, but drops channel 4 HD and one or two others IIRC.Freeview would be the safer choice and gives you much more choice.

oh really?
I was under the impression you needed freesat for the sky channels
and freeview for basic digital

I’ll do a channel comparison, thanks

it might be cheaper to get a freeview recorder
Mendoza01/05/2020 22:42

oh really?I was under the impression you needed freesat for the sky …oh really?I was under the impression you needed freesat for the sky channels and freeview for basic digital I’ll do a channel comparison, thanksit might be cheaper to get a freeview recorder

As far as I'm aware the only Sky-run channel available outside Sky is Pick, and that's available on both freeview and freesat.

There are lots of out of date comparisons lists out there, so you may want to go to the official freeview/freesat websites to see which channels they have.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions