Groups

Recording onto DVD.

Please can all you lovely brainbox's help me answer a question that I should know? Thinking of getting a dvd recorder but just wondering if its as easy to tape a dvd as a video? I will be wanting to record a series of programmes but just checking that I will be able to add each programme onto the same dvd every week? thanks. (How out of touch am I?!!!!!!!!!!)

8 Comments

It will record your programmes onto the hard drive so no need for discs

It is just as easy to record onto disc was VHS, but in practice I have ruined loads of discs for several unknown reasons / issues with the recorder. I use a PVR to record the programmes, if I decide to keep them, then I use my DVD player to burn them. This way, even if the disc does not burn, at least I still have the programme to try again.

dmissy13;2804040

It will record your programmes onto the hard drive so no need for discs

....provided you buy one with a hard disk

in answer to the poster, should be fairly easy, most DVD recorders will tell you if you are going to put too much on a DVD-R or RW, buying one with a HDD makes messing about with capacities and DVDs much easier, and should you want to save anything onto DVD-R from your hard disk library it will allow you to dub the data from the hard disk

a standard single layer DVD will allow you to record a fraction over 2 hours in Standard Play quality

Oh, buy some DVD-rw's so that you can record progs that you don't intend to keep forever.

castortroy;2804159

Oh, buy some DVD-rw's so that you can record progs that you don't intend … Oh, buy some DVD-rw's so that you can record progs that you don't intend to keep forever.

yes very handy for overwriting, also some recorders let you edit portions on -RW discs, Sony call it A-B Erase

Original Poster

Thanks for all your comments - rep left.

So my understanding now is that I need to buy some rw dvd disks and will be able to record each programme on the same disk. When I put the dvd in, say to record the second programme, will it automatically find the end of the last programme recorded on the dvd disk to start recording?

busymom;2804405

Thanks for all your comments - rep left. So my understanding now is that … Thanks for all your comments - rep left. So my understanding now is that I need to buy some rw dvd disks and will be able to record each programme on the same disk. When I put the dvd in, say to record the second programme, will it automatically find the end of the last programme recorded on the dvd disk to start recording?

yes! - it allocates data intelligently, so whilst the data may be on different parts of the DVD recording layer, the recorder indexes and titles the episodes so they can be easily played back in any order

Original Poster

AugQX;2804453

yes! - it allocates data intelligently, so whilst the data may be on … yes! - it allocates data intelligently, so whilst the data may be on different parts of the DVD recording layer, the recorder indexes and titles the episodes so they can be easily played back in any order

Thanks so much. Ive learnt something new today! :-D
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.917
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047185
      3. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery1627
      4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)64491

See more discussions