Recording TV onto a USB stick options

Found 22nd Feb 2016
So got a lovely new modern SAMSUNG 40" 3D Smart TV. It has an option to record onto a USB stick. This is all new to me, having until now just recorded on my Humax Freeview box for years. Any recommendations please for a suitable USB stick purchase and what to avoid? Storage size aside, what sort of spec should I be looking at minimum?

Is there any common issues with recording on a USB stick I should be looking to avoid, or is it fairly simple and reliable?

17 Comments

Try and get a USB 3 stick as there faster the size us up to you really.
I would be looking at 32/64 GB versions personally.

As StefromUK says, USB 3 definitely. I have used very cheap USB's to record and there's a lot of stuttering.

Original Poster

stefromuk

Try and get a USB 3 stick as there faster the size us up to you really.I … Try and get a USB 3 stick as there faster the size us up to you really.I would be looking at 32/64 GB versions personally.

kwanzee

As StefromUK says, USB 3 definitely. I have used very cheap USB's to … As StefromUK says, USB 3 definitely. I have used very cheap USB's to record and there's a lot of stuttering.

I definitely want to avoid any potential stuttering. Is it essential for me to go for top end 245MB/S speed USB sticks, or is 100MB/s or 130MB/s perfectly good?

Saying get usb 3 is all well and good, but I bet it's a USB 2 port on the TV.

stefromuk

Try and get a USB 3 stick as there faster the size us up to you really.I … Try and get a USB 3 stick as there faster the size us up to you really.I would be looking at 32/64 GB versions personally.

kwanzee

As StefromUK says, USB 3 definitely. I have used very cheap USB's to … As StefromUK says, USB 3 definitely. I have used very cheap USB's to record and there's a lot of stuttering.

maybe check the requirements of your tv would be a good place to start ?

Original Poster

MIDURIX

Saying get usb 3 is all well and good, but I bet it's a USB 2 port on the … Saying get usb 3 is all well and good, but I bet it's a USB 2 port on the TV.

It has 3 USB ports, 1 port is labelled as "hdd 5V 1A" and the other 2 ports are standard 5V 0.5A, one of which is labelled as "camera".

The TV is model SAMSUNG UE40H6400AKXXU 40" Full HD LED Smart 3D Quad core Wi-fi
Edited by: "noahsdad" 22nd Feb 2016

Your TV Manual [HERE: Pg 114] say USB Sticks are supported, but mentions USB "devices" as in HDD's:

Recording Programmes"" Availability depends on the specific model and … Recording Programmes"" Availability depends on the specific model and area.You can record current and upcoming programmes using a USB device instead of a video recorder.However, this is only available for digital channels. The icon appears next to programmes andchannels for which a Schedule Recording has been set."" We recommend a USB hard disk drive with a minimum speed of 5,400rpm for TV recording. USB memorysticks are not supported."" Read all precautions before using recording.

Edited by: "GlanzaV" 22nd Feb 2016

stefromuk

kwanzee

Apologies, the drive I use is actually usb 2.0.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDCZ50-032G-FFP-Cruzer-Blade-Flash/dp/B007PYBNSC

works great when recording HD match of the day

I use

I use a 1Tb portable HDD made by Samsung. From Amazon about £40. It is stuck to the back of the TV with double sided tape, and plugs into the USB socket mentioned above. Works a treat.

Original Poster

chalkie121

I use a 1Tb portable HDD made by Samsung. From Amazon about £40. It is … I use a 1Tb portable HDD made by Samsung. From Amazon about £40. It is stuck to the back of the TV with double sided tape, and plugs into the USB socket mentioned above. Works a treat.

What model of TV do you use this on?

Same as yours but 55 inch.

Original Poster

chalkie121

Same as yours but 55 inch.

Cool, I suppose being an actual Hard Disk it should work with any modern TV. I am going to go for that, the 1TB is £42 on Amazon, but tempted to go for the 2TB at £64.99. My TV is wall mounted on a corner bit of wall area, so can easily hide the portable HD on a little wall shelf, or sticky tape like you say, but I don't want to risk having too much heat or over heating, so will probably keep it separate.

Thanks to the good people of HUKD for their comments and input, has been most helpful in reaching a decision, and am sure it will have helped one or two lurkers also.

stefromuk

kwanzee

​if you multiply that rate with 60 sec then 60 min you will get a very big number. video files are like 2GB for a 2 hour movie, so a read rate of about 0.3MB/sec.

transfer rate is more than enough, stutter will be caused by latency. like a big chunk is read and buffered, then another requested but new chunk does not start fast enough.

I own a Samsung TV, tried recording from freeview on a portable USB HDD, it worked. I think the video format can only be played on the TV.

danpetre

​if you multiply that rate with 60 sec then 60 min you will get a very b … ​if you multiply that rate with 60 sec then 60 min you will get a very big number. video files are like 2GB for a 2 hour movie, so a read rate of about 0.3MB/sec.

BBC One HD's average bit rate is 0.575MB/s, but has peaks of just over 2MB/s so some particularly cheap sticks will be too slow to cope with it.

Transfer rates also depend on what's being transferred so even 3MB/s and 4MB/s sticks may be too slow for this particular type of file. Unlike SD cards USB sticks aren't speed tested for a recording workload.

A good solid USB2 stick offering 10MB/s+ should work fine though, there's no need for expensive sticks with really fast controllers and memory chips.

Bearing in mind you'll be both writing the data (when you record it) and reading it (when you play it back) so a stick with good read speeds and poor write speeds will cause problems.

Space-wise. 1GB per hour is a good guideline for SD channels, and you can double that for HD.

noahsdad

Cool, I suppose being an actual Hard Disk it should work with any modern … Cool, I suppose being an actual Hard Disk it should work with any modern TV. I am going to go for that, the 1TB is £42 on Amazon, but tempted to go for the 2TB at £64.99. My TV is wall mounted on a corner bit of wall area, so can easily hide the portable HD on a little wall shelf, or sticky tape like you say, but I don't want to risk having too much heat or over heating, so will probably keep it separate.Thanks to the good people of HUKD for their comments and input, has been most helpful in reaching a decision, and am sure it will have helped one or two lurkers also.

For hiding I use Velcro tape at least easier to take off when you need then and because of the width still allows air around the device one strip top and bottom found to be best rather than a single strip down the middle.
Post a comment
@
    Text