Recycle old plastic razors with new UK Gillette scheme by post

Posted 8th Sep 2019
Given all the plastic waste thought this initiative was worth posting.

ALL models of razors, blades and disposable razors can now be recycled thanks to the launch of a new programme.

Visit gillette.co.uk/rec…cle, fill out your details and receive a special freepost envelope for your used blades and razors.Send your old blades, razors and/or disposable razors in the envelope to be recycled.Every 2 to 3 weeks you get another envelope to send back via Royal Mail.
Community Updates

Groups

21 Comments
Nice one.. great idea. Heat.
How about razors that don’t have to be recycled, you just fit new blades.
done
Heat!
Are the envelopes recycled
What about the silly amount of plastic packaging that comes with Gillette razors?
Great idea. Details sent. Heat added!
Strangely old fashioned that the webpage asks you to email Gillette directly rather than fill in your details on the page itself.
Odd so you get envelopes sent then you post back then Gillette will send it off somewhere else.blades contain metal and different plastics, so be harder to recycle.
plus the envelopes.

to me it just looks like a pr exercise for the company.
Another company joining the hype train. What next paper razors?

Seriously I throw my razors and all other plastic in the wheelie bin which then goes to a local landfill where it will remain, doesn't matter how long it takes to degrade as it's a landfill which will have sand and trees put on it eventually. But who knows what happens to your "recycling" most plastics are sent to Asia to get recycled but most of the countries it goes to are the leading contributers to plastic pollution in the ocean so who's to say they are not just dumping it in the ocean instead of recycling it?
Just convert to D.E. ..just tiny bits of metal, paper, & a bit of card (wrapped & tiny box) ..about as minimal as it can be.
(Ps, ALL ice cream tub containers to be card, if it's good enough for Ben & Jerry e.g. al).
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 8th Sep 2019
xigent08/09/2019 09:37

How about razors that don’t have to be recycled, you just fit new blades.

You mean large metal blades that use more material than an entire plastic cartridge and last five days instead of fifteen?

I can see the attraction of going to loose blades price-wise, but I'd suspect they're less environmentally friendly.
Easier to press out a regular blade & than the slivers of a 3 -5 bladed plastic encased one that's for sure, simpler to melt down & reuse, no hard breakdown of matter etc... (Not to mention the energy involved in oil to plastic..Think again!
Mr_Gus08/09/2019 10:55

Just convert to D.E. ..just tiny bits of metal, paper, & a bit of card …Just convert to D.E. ..just tiny bits of metal, paper, & a bit of card (wrapped & tiny box) ..about as minimal as it can be.(Ps, ALL ice cream tub containers to be card, if it's good enough for Ben & Jerry e.g. al).

ermm they are not just card. they have a plastic coating inside and that makes them actually harder to recycle that plastic because of extra processes required to separate plastic from card lol
Edited by: "AMaky" 8th Sep 2019
my blades!?, nope, card outer casing, paper inner, metal DE blades, no plastic shell, nor clamshell packaging.

I hate the "erm term" that proliferates it can be interpreted as someone talking down to the other person, ..surprised HUKD mods haven't banned it for it's "potential" ..whether the user means it that way or not! ..did you?
So I'll be getting free razors ?
Gillette trying to make up the difference on that $8 billion loss they caused for Procter & Gamble this year thanks to that stupid advert?
Mr_Gus08/09/2019 10:55

Just convert to D.E. ..just tiny bits of metal, paper, & a bit of card …Just convert to D.E. ..just tiny bits of metal, paper, & a bit of card (wrapped & tiny box) ..about as minimal as it can be.(Ps, ALL ice cream tub containers to be card, if it's good enough for Ben & Jerry e.g. al).

A lot of ice cream tubs are dishwasher safe and even microwaveable. I reuse them a lot. Got a proper big collection.
ra78608/09/2019 17:14

A lot of ice cream tubs are dishwasher safe and even microwaveable. I …A lot of ice cream tubs are dishwasher safe and even microwaveable. I reuse them a lot. Got a proper big collection.

however what about the other 99.999999(etc) % ? especially in light of where lots of recyclable material ends up, composting paper . planting seedlings in em etc, ...easier than more "use once" plastic from virgin plastic.
MrMaccieKFC08/09/2019 12:55

Gillette trying to make up the difference on that $8 billion loss they …Gillette trying to make up the difference on that $8 billion loss they caused for Procter & Gamble this year thanks to that stupid advert?

they didnt make a loss, like any business they wrote down the value standard practice.
AMaky08/09/2019 10:30

Odd so you get envelopes sent then you post back then Gillette will send …Odd so you get envelopes sent then you post back then Gillette will send it off somewhere else.blades contain metal and different plastics, so be harder to recycle.plus the envelopes. to me it just looks like a pr exercise for the company.

suspect it will change, guessing they are doing it that way because its limited to 4 per year, the recycling company they use are doing recycling for lots of other companies in the same way, send the stuff in and they recycle. It wont be long before its done on a bigger scale I am sure.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants