Groups

Recycle polystyrene

In case anyone like us, who have a lot of poloystyrene from packaging, Weve just finished puting up three falt packs of furniture from Next. They were welll packaged in big cardboard boxes and lots of poloystyrene =o/
    I started braking it all up and puting it in to black bags for the dustman, not what i wanted to do at all, for one thing it would of probably been over ten bags, and the thought of all that crap going in the ground is frightning.
    So i googled recycle poloystyrene and found this great site.
    recyclethis.co.uk
    which someone had posted a link to this site.
    eps.co.uk/pac…htm
    Im about 40 miles from the nearest EPS Depot =o/ which is a shame, but we will probably make the trip
    Hope this helps out somebody else.

9 Comments

With all due respect, do you not think that the environmental impact of you driving an 80 mile roundtrip for waste that might not end up in landfill (depending on your area) is actually worse?

Go to be one of the most absurd things I have ever heard.

Original Poster

Yea it is a shame that we have to travel so far to recycle!
    this is the company ]http//ww…spx
    what else is there to do with it??

judderman;6281906

Yea it is a shame that we have to travel so far to recycle!this is the … Yea it is a shame that we have to travel so far to recycle!this is the company ]http://www.expanded-polystyrene-recycling.co.uk/Pages/Index.aspxwhat else is there to do with it??

What area are you in?

judderman;6281906

Yea it is a shame that we have to travel so far to recycle!this is the … Yea it is a shame that we have to travel so far to recycle!this is the company ]http://www.expanded-polystyrene-recycling.co.uk/Pages/Index.aspxwhat else is there to do with it??

find out what else is in the area you need to go and visit somewhere too, that means your not making the trip just to recycle.
    Good on ya for making the effort.

Original Poster

pghstochaj;6282064

What area are you in?

We're around the Stevenage area, i've had a look at their website on what they take at the tip, no mention on poloystyrene, but i'll make some calls in the morning and see what they recommend.
    I would rather not drive 80 mile. :roll:

judderman;6282769

We're around the Stevenage area, i've had a look at their website on what … We're around the Stevenage area, i've had a look at their website on what they take at the tip, no mention on poloystyrene, but i'll make some calls in the morning and see what they recommend.I would rather not drive 80 mile. :roll:

In your area at the current time I think it will end up in landfill "unfortunately". However, once compressed by tonnes of waste on top of it, it won't barely exist - it's 98% air I think.

In my view, it would be crazy to drive 80 miles to dispose of it, both from an environmental perspective and cost perspective. It is all well and good to recycle but only when it makes sense.

This recycling malarky is complete tosh. while ever the government allows companies to make all these products I for one do not care where it goes or what happens to it. I know they will not ban any of it as they make far too much tax from it all so I say stuff em.

Same in supermarkets, I use as many bags as I need and will do until they get banned or they use a sensible alternative like good old brown paper. Plus after a shop at a supermarket I end up with so much cardboard and plastic it is ridiculas so it's the government and companies that need sorting first.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1219
      2. Important info for Ryanair customers1621
      3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553785
      4. Shana Tova to all Jewish HUKDers1519

See more discussions