red diesel used in vehicle

Found 18th Jan 2016
hi there
i need some advice girls and guys!!

i want to buy a car of my friend which i want to use as my own taxi private hire.
the problem is my friend has been using red diesel in it,he told me today and the tank still has red diesel in it,

my main concern is im a new taxi driver this will be my first car in taxi,
so if i take it for council mot will they know if red diesel is been used in vehicle?
i dont want to get into bother for it,as i dont want trouble before starting my new job,

any advice please appreciated,
Community Updates
AskDiesel
18 Comments
replacement tank from a scrap yard is probably your best bet. or buy another car.
thx for your reply,

do you think the council mot will know if red diesel is being used in the vehicle?
Use the fuel up or drain it out, fill full tank with white and should be OK, ish
Have proof of purchase and if get stopped deny knowledge of tank and say just bought it as is
Edited by: "mrwhitelabel" 18th Jan 2016
thx for reply

i need to take the car for a council taxi mot,will they find out while they doing the mot?that red diesel is been used,

i dont want my friend to get into trouble either lol as he owes me money and hes giving me the car as payment!!
msaf1

thx for your reply,do you think the council mot will know if red diesel … thx for your reply,do you think the council mot will know if red diesel is being used in the vehicle?

They will know if they dip your tank, That isn't normal practice and think it's only Vosa who do random checks, It's certainly not part of the MOT and your emissions would be no different.

To get rid of the dye you'd also have to change the fuel filter as that would be stained too.

shauneco

They will know if they dip your tank, That isn't normal practice and … They will know if they dip your tank, That isn't normal practice and think it's only Vosa who do random checks, It's certainly not part of the MOT and your emissions would be no different. To get rid of the dye you'd also have to change the fuel filter as that would be stained too.

thx for your help
Get it used then put normal diesel in job done
Run it as near to empty as you dare, then fill up with white from then on.

MOT will not show up that red has been used.
thx for your replies and help
After you fill it up a couple of times the red diesel will be gone
You should try and find out if they dip the tank. Salford where I work do. If they find red in it you could end up in a whole lot of trouble. Private hire tests are way more stringent than normal MOT's.
Edited by: "redcantona" 18th Jan 2016
you are chancing it you will do this and "your friend" will use red diesel all the time!
Use the fuel or drain the tank and you must not forget to replace the fuel Filters as they will be reddish in colour
You can use red diesel on private property and off roading. Just tell them the car was used of the road and there's nothing illegal about that. A lot of people have used 4x4 off road with red diesel then drive it on the road with normal diesel and have been stopped by police and explained it was used for off roading and its mixed with the white diesel and haven't been prosecuted so i wouldn't worry to much. But councils are a bit harsher and alot more awkward with taxi vehicles.
msaf1

thx for replyi need to take the car for a council taxi mot,will they find … thx for replyi need to take the car for a council taxi mot,will they find out while they doing the mot?that red diesel is been used,i dont want my friend to get into trouble either lol as he owes me money and hes giving me the car as payment!!

​yes they will know. I worked in a garage that had to prep and repair taxis for there council tests and they DO check for red diesel, it won't matter if you use it and fill up with white, the die in red Diesel will taint the fuel tank and the white Diesel picks the die up again and will show up on there tests... also the police do regular stop and checks with the dvla on taxis as well so screwed either way
only way forward would be replace tank and filter and run a fuel cleaner through it this will 99% of the time sort it for you and ask the garage who does the work to provide you an invoice of the work done.... keep this invoice as a precaution in case you face questions

council taxi MOT tests are very different for standard MOT tests.
thanks everybody for your time and replies
i decided not to buy it and take the risk for it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants