Red Wine for Cooking

Posted 31st May
Hey, I am new in the UK (Scotland), and I am looking for a cheap red wine to use in cooking. I can't find any red wine cheaper than 4 pounds, which is very expensive to be used in cooking.. Does anyone knows where can I find a red wine that is suitable for cooking and doesn't cost so much? Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Can't recommend any but buy a big bottle of "plonk" and then freeze what you don't use in sandwich bags to use later.
The general rule is don’t use wine for cooking that you wouldn’t drink yourself. £4 is cheap for wine but if you are insisting why not buy boxed wine to use for cooking.
Edited by: "fearghalg" 31st May
You won't get much cheaper than that in Scotland due to the licensing laws here. There's a minimum cost per unit. That's why a lot of deals posted dont apply up here.
Edited by: "MichyM" 31st May
deleted241788
Yep, as indicated the price of the cheapest wine is pretty much all tax and overheads. Alcohol free might be a bit cheaper. You could try something like this :
tesco.com/gro…439
As Floyd once said if it isn’t good enough to drink then it isn’t good enough to cook with
I've never known a bottle of red wine being under £4 even before the licensing laws.
Heat will accentuate the taste of a bad wine, not disguise it so as @fearghalg said, if you wouldn’t be happy to drink it, don’t cook with it.
40930938-Tq7PD.jpg
Whatever's on offer at the time. Freeze what you don't use for next time
Xippi31/05/2020 14:11

Whatever's on offer at the time. Freeze what you don't use for next time

Any reason for this? I use red for cooking but can't stand it on it's own. Often leave bottles in the cupboard for over 12 months. Obviously screw tops only.
Danze198431/05/2020 19:40

Any reason for this? I use red for cooking but can't stand it on it's own. …Any reason for this? I use red for cooking but can't stand it on it's own. Often leave bottles in the cupboard for over 12 months. Obviously screw tops only.

Ah....I wasn't clear there sorry. I often don't need the contents of a whole bottle which will start to go off once opened- turns to vinegar. ( vin aigre - old French for 'bad wine'), so I'll freeze whatever's left to use another time. Unopened bottles are fine esp screw top that won't dry out and let the air in.
ChelseaRae31/05/2020 12:20

Heat will accentuate the taste of a bad wine, not disguise it so as …Heat will accentuate the taste of a bad wine, not disguise it so as @fearghalg said, if you wouldn’t be happy to drink it, don’t cook with it.

I was about to say the same. I can't cook to save my life, but my sister always says that.
louiselouise31/05/2020 21:52

I was about to say the same. I can't cook to save my life, but my sister …I was about to say the same. I can't cook to save my life, but my sister always says that.

Your sister sounds like a wise lady
Post a comment
@
    Text