Red wine recommendations please.

19 replies
Found 13th Oct 2010
My boss is leaving and we want to get him a couple of bottles of red wine, trouble is not many of us drink red and so dont know whats best. I know chateauneuf du pape is decent but maybees a bit predictable. Anyone have any suggestions please.

p.s we like him so no naff suggestions ta

1. Misc
  2. Wine
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Wine
19 Comments

Supermod

I really enjoy Beaujolais-Villages red.

Original Poster

magicjay1986

I really enjoy Beaujolais-Villages red.

where do you buy this from?

Supermod

michelleleemoo

where do you buy this from?

Tesco do a Louis Jadot Beaujolais bit if you have a Majestic Wines close to you they do a great Beaujolais.

Not a big lover of French red,

Have you got a Waitrose near you and what's your budget hun ?

Original Poster

magicjay1986

Tesco do a Louis Jadot Beaujolais bit if you have a Majestic Wines close … Tesco do a Louis Jadot Beaujolais bit if you have a Majestic Wines close to you they do a great Beaujolais.

ah found it on majestic, and save £3 on 2 bottles, good stuff. Just seen this Chenas 2008 Louis Chavy haha chavy

would you buy wine for someone else or do you think a voucher would be better?

Original Poster

choc1969

Not a big lover of French red,Have you got a Waitrose near you and what's … Not a big lover of French red,Have you got a Waitrose near you and what's your budget hun ?

yes can get to a waitrose choc, we are having a whip round so money is not really a problem tbh just want it to be special and not something he would probably drink on the regular if that makes sense

Supermod

michelleleemoo

ah found it on majestic, and save £3 on 2 bottles, good stuff. Just seen … ah found it on majestic, and save £3 on 2 bottles, good stuff. Just seen this Chenas 2008 Louis Chavy haha chavy would you buy wine for someone else or do you think a voucher would be better?

I am not sure. Usually I only buy friends wine if I know that they would enjoy that particular wine. I wouldn't risk it if you like them as it is (in my opinion) like buying someone a present that they wouldn't want.

Depends how well you know this person!

Original Poster

magicjay1986

I am not sure. Usually I only buy friends wine if I know that they would … I am not sure. Usually I only buy friends wine if I know that they would enjoy that particular wine. I wouldn't risk it if you like them as it is (in my opinion) like buying someone a present that they wouldn't want. Depends how well you know this person!

well this is what I thought but I kinda would rather he knew we made an effort instead of the easy option although thats safer I know

Supermod

michelleleemoo

well this is what I thought but I kinda would rather he knew we made an … well this is what I thought but I kinda would rather he knew we made an effort instead of the easy option although thats safer I know

What about a spirit? Or, if he has a partner, a wine tasting event?

Original Poster

magicjay1986

What about a spirit? Or, if he has a partner, a wine tasting event?

he's not a spirit drinker unfortunately, the wine tasting is an idea though. Thanks mj

michelleleemoo

yes can get to a waitrose choc, we are having a whip round so money is … yes can get to a waitrose choc, we are having a whip round so money is not really a problem tbh just want it to be special and not something he would probably drink on the regular if that makes sense

Waitrose do great wines that you don;t find in other supermarkets or liquor chain stores. I pop in once a month for recommendations and have never been disappointed. Last couple of bottles I purchased were a Araldica Corsini 2006 Barbaresco from Italy and a Arboleda Carmenère 2008 from Chile. Both around £10 if I remember and went down a treat

Original Poster

choc1969

Waitrose do great wines that you don;t find in other supermarkets or … Waitrose do great wines that you don;t find in other supermarkets or liquor chain stores. I pop in once a month for recommendations and have never been disappointed. Last couple of bottles I purchased were a Araldica Corsini 2006 Barbaresco from Italy and a Arboleda Carmenère 2008 from Chile. Both around £10 if I remember and went down a treat

choc would you rather receive a couple of bottles that showed someone had tried or a voucher?

do you buy from their recommendations?
Edited by: "michelleleemoo" 13th Oct 2010

have a look at some of the broadsheet newspaper website wine sections. always a pain when I post links so I won't even try, but the telegraph wine section is often helpful.

Original Poster

markovka

have a look at some of the broadsheet newspaper website wine sections. … have a look at some of the broadsheet newspaper website wine sections. always a pain when I post links so I won't even try, but the telegraph wine section is often helpful.

brill thank you, I will have a look and i'm going to go with choc's 2 also http://www.bdwf.net/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup-thumbs-up-approve-ok-smiley-emoticon-000283-medium%5B1%5D.gif

michelleleemoo

choc would you rather receive a couple of bottles that showed someone had … choc would you rather receive a couple of bottles that showed someone had tried or a voucher?do you buy from their recommendations?

I would rather have the wine, vouchers seem so impersonal.......:)

I do argue in Waitrose with the wine teams as i'm not a lover of wines with strong tannins or too oaky but I'm always surprised when they get it spot on. Some haven't been perfect for me but go down well with dinner guests

Edited by: "choc1969" 13th Oct 2010

Original Poster

choc1969

I would rather have the wine, vouchers seem so impersonal.......:)

excellent, thanks chuckalugs

Banned

Wolf Blass Red label is rather nice Australian red and Berberana Reservas Privadas is an excellent Spanish red.

Original Poster

slamdunkin

Wolf Blass Red label is rather nice Australian red and Berberana Reservas … Wolf Blass Red label is rather nice Australian red and Berberana Reservas Privadas is an excellent Spanish red.

what price are these please?

yourfavouritewines.com/go/…non

this is my all-time fav red...can buy from tescos too for roughly same price.fantastic value.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Help please55
    2. Gearbest Delivery Never Came - British Priority Mail1618
    3. Best way to get to Alton towers from north west, or by train, coach etc45
    4. Consumer Rights - Wrong Description of Fridge918

See more discussions