Redecorate bedroom- want new everything

Posted 28th Nov
Hi guys im wanting to do my whole room up. Want it simple but nice. Thinking of white, grey, black and rose goldish tones. Ive bought the huge dulux matte paint in brilliant white for my room and also purchased wallpaper for one wall. My ceiling is really high up and ive sort of got this fireplace (which i want to get rid off but dont know how?), any suggestions on what/where to buy things. I want good quality but also dont want to spend too much.

Since people don’t understand the term ‘everything new’ i mean good quality blinds, carpet, bed covers, duvet.. must i go on?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

23 Comments
DIY shops.....
If it’s furniture and accessories you are looking to get them have a look in Ikea.
Are you female by any chance?
Depends what room, if it’s furniture or accessories you are after.
What are you actually wanting suggestions for in this thread, do you want a list of the DIY bits that you’ll need to paint and decorate the room with?
Lol. So what is the question ?
Edited by: "generationz" 28th Nov
..this is the sort of complacency in an OP that just makes me weep, they want everything but don't state "anything" that makes much sense.

I'm out.
Try Wilkinson, the Range and Ikea
I think you shouldn't touch the fireplace. Some original features such as a fireplace can add value to your property.
Mr_Gus28/11/2019 13:14

..this is the sort of complacency in an OP that just makes me weep, they …..this is the sort of complacency in an OP that just makes me weep, they want everything but don't state "anything" that makes much sense.I'm out.

Lol what dont you understand by “redecorate”, you clearly have too much time on your hands to come on here with ur irrelevant opinion. Get a job love xx
Haircut_10028/11/2019 11:53

What are you actually wanting suggestions for in this thread, do you want …What are you actually wanting suggestions for in this thread, do you want a list of the DIY bits that you’ll need to paint and decorate the room with?

Thatd be helpful. First time ever doing this
Ebay is your friend. Look for local stuff you can pick up in your car at half the price or delivered.

Oh & paint the door frames & skirting boards last. Get some food quality decorators tape to ensure no paint gets on your walls & carpet etc.
You should try TJ Hughes, they have some really nice decor!
Nilufar1234528/11/2019 22:33

Thatd be helpful. First time ever doing this

Ok, you'll need the following (all links for Screwfix):

Dust Sheets screwfix.com/p/n…361
Painters Masking Tape screwfix.com/p/f…092
Paint Brush + Rollers + Tray Set screwfix.com/p/h…81x
A Roll Of Clingfilm - From Poundland
An Old Wooden Spoon (For mixing paint) - Either your cupboard or Poundland/Wilkinsons etc
A Small Ladder (choose one that is the right height for your room) screwfix.com/p/a…37x
Some Old Clothes To Paint In - Go to a charity shop and pick up a cheap shirt and jeans for a couple of quid.
A Wrecking Bar For The Fireplace (if needed) screwfix.com/p/m…94v
Filler screwfix.com/p/n…551
Filling Knife screwfix.com/p/n…020
Tea
Biscuits
Haircut_10028/11/2019 22:54

Ok, you'll need the following (all links for Screwfix):Dust Sheets …Ok, you'll need the following (all links for Screwfix):Dust Sheets https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-cotton-twill-dust-sheet-12-x-9/93361Painters Masking Tape https://www.screwfix.com/p/frogtape-painters-multi-surface-21-day-masking-tape-41m-x-36mm/80092Paint Brush + Rollers + Tray Set https://www.screwfix.com/p/harris-trade-big-box-roller-brush-set-18-pieces/6781xA Roll Of Clingfilm - From PoundlandAn Old Wooden Spoon (For mixing paint) - Either your cupboard or Poundland/Wilkinsons etcA Small Ladder (choose one that is the right height for your room) https://www.screwfix.com/p/aluminium-9-treads-double-sided-stepladder-1-08m/4237xSome Old Clothes To Paint In - Go to a charity shop and pick up a cheap shirt and jeans for a couple of quid. A Wrecking Bar For The Fireplace (if needed) https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-utility-bar-15/4594vFiller https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-fine-surface-filler-white-600g/71551Filling Knife https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-dual-moulded-filling-knife-2/13020 TeaBiscuits

lol

You forgot caulk
Haircut_10028/11/2019 22:54

Ok, you'll need the following (all links for Screwfix):Dust Sheets …Ok, you'll need the following (all links for Screwfix):Dust Sheets https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-cotton-twill-dust-sheet-12-x-9/93361Painters Masking Tape https://www.screwfix.com/p/frogtape-painters-multi-surface-21-day-masking-tape-41m-x-36mm/80092Paint Brush + Rollers + Tray Set https://www.screwfix.com/p/harris-trade-big-box-roller-brush-set-18-pieces/6781xA Roll Of Clingfilm - From PoundlandAn Old Wooden Spoon (For mixing paint) - Either your cupboard or Poundland/Wilkinsons etcA Small Ladder (choose one that is the right height for your room) https://www.screwfix.com/p/aluminium-9-treads-double-sided-stepladder-1-08m/4237xSome Old Clothes To Paint In - Go to a charity shop and pick up a cheap shirt and jeans for a couple of quid. A Wrecking Bar For The Fireplace (if needed) https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-utility-bar-15/4594vFiller https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-fine-surface-filler-white-600g/71551Filling Knife https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-dual-moulded-filling-knife-2/13020 TeaBiscuits

Wow that is long 😳, thanks for that. Love how you added the tea and biscuits
Haircut_10028/11/2019 11:53

What are you actually wanting suggestions for in this thread, do you want …What are you actually wanting suggestions for in this thread, do you want a list of the DIY bits that you’ll need to paint and decorate the room with?

@ OP, See.. other people fail to understand precisely because you don't use clarity nor context when asking a question that you expect answers from...
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 29th Nov
Nilufar1234528/11/2019 22:22

Lol what dont you understand by “redecorate”, you clearly have too much tim …Lol what dont you understand by “redecorate”, you clearly have too much time on your hands to come on here with ur irrelevant opinion. Get a job love xx

With your lack of apparent nous its debatable that you are employable in any competent position "love"

You fail to state room size, budget, age of house, (of which it may mean decor either fits or stands out like a sore thumb.
Nor your budget, (one mans wilko may be another mans John Lewis).
You fail to state anything about the fireplace as to whether it is a moulded concrete monstrosity, usable, used for ventilation or needs blocking in with ventilation for the chimney.

You fail to state whether you own / rent in which case tackling the fireplace may need to be agreed with your landlord.
You fail to state whether its a flat & therefore whether consideration as to the flue of the chimney plays any part in the rest of the building or whether simply unused & ok to stuff a draught inhibiting chimney balloon is applicable.

The walls, are they modern plasterboard on battens, or old property horsehair plaster,
Flooring, state of. carpets, stay / go.
Wood to be rejuvenated gaps filled, boards replaced or simply carpet over preexisting.

All this affects the budget (missing) anticipated time frame & degree of ability, ...ability you also failed to state until later on in the thread, as a first timer, are you doing this on your own or with assistance & borrowing kit?
High ceilings & your statement of "want to do the whole room up" doesn't actually state whether you mean / meant tackling lighting & possible plumbing / updating of either (such as new radiator, or multiples thereof) ..high ceilings may also mean that a room is large based on design warehouse / georgian etc or subdivided modern mix of partitioned original room.

When you write on here "asking" please give context & detail or else you are essentially wasting peoples time who then have to second guess you or ask you for details that should have been posted originally.

I have both worked on, & purchased numerous properties & renovated them to a high standard over the years, removed, fireplaces, fitted woodburners & recognise the hidden work & additional cost potential when you do a room or house up, thanks for the suggestion of getting a job. "love"
Mr_Gus29/11/2019 11:31

With your lack of apparent nous its debatable that you are employable in …With your lack of apparent nous its debatable that you are employable in any competent position "love"You fail to state room size, budget, age of house, (of which it may mean decor either fits or stands out like a sore thumb.Nor your budget, (one mans wilko may be another mans John Lewis).You fail to state anything about the fireplace as to whether it is a moulded concrete monstrosity, usable, used for ventilation or needs blocking in with ventilation for the chimney.You fail to state whether you own / rent in which case tackling the fireplace may need to be agreed with your landlord.You fail to state whether its a flat & therefore whether consideration as to the flue of the chimney plays any part in the rest of the building or whether simply unused & ok to stuff a draught inhibiting chimney balloon is applicable. The walls, are they modern plasterboard on battens, or old property horsehair plaster,Flooring, state of. carpets, stay / go.Wood to be rejuvenated gaps filled, boards replaced or simply carpet over preexisting.All this affects the budget (missing) anticipated time frame & degree of ability, ...ability you also failed to state until later on in the thread, as a first timer, are you doing this on your own or with assistance & borrowing kit? High ceilings & your statement of "want to do the whole room up" doesn't actually state whether you mean / meant tackling lighting & possible plumbing / updating of either (such as new radiator, or multiples thereof) ..high ceilings may also mean that a room is large based on design warehouse / georgian etc or subdivided modern mix of partitioned original room.When you write on here "asking" please give context & detail or else you are essentially wasting peoples time who then have to second guess you or ask you for details that should have been posted originally.I have both worked on, & purchased numerous properties & renovated them to a high standard over the years, removed, fireplaces, fitted woodburners & recognise the hidden work & additional cost potential when you do a room or house up, thanks for the suggestion of getting a job. "love"

Im not even going bother to read all of this, you’re on here arguing with a teenager . If i said i was thinking of getting rid of the fireplace why on earth would i be renting? If you had time to type all of this out, I’m sure you have enough time to give some advice with your ‘expertise’ instead of this useless garbage. There was just no need. I was literally just asking for suggestions because I thought i should change things up and could get some advice on what to do/where to start. Im sure if I was to see you in my everyday job and you didn’t have much knowledge in my field, I wouldn’t scold you for it but go off.
My point has just been reinforced, by the vagueness of your original inept post whereby you state you have a "sort of fireplace that I (you) want to get rid of but don't know how"

Sounds like you'd be better asking mummy & daddy / whoever, what you are *allowed* to do in your (their) room before you send them crackers.
Hint: be clearer as to your intentions when you do talk to them, more so than you are on here
Mr_Gus29/11/2019 10:58

@ OP, See.. other people fail to understand precisely because you don't …@ OP, See.. other people fail to understand precisely because you don't use clarity nor context when asking a question that you expect answers from...

well i clarified and they responded in a mature manner unlike you. Talking about how i should ask mummy and daddy when maybe you should go back to them and tell ‘em to teach you some manners.
Nilufar1234529/11/2019 13:30

well i clarified and they responded in a mature manner unlike you. Talking …well i clarified and they responded in a mature manner unlike you. Talking about how i should ask mummy and daddy when maybe you should go back to them and tell ‘em to teach you some manners.

You failed because you were glib.
You failed because you could have explained in a clearer concise manner in the first instance.
Why the heck should folk have to play 20 questions around you? that's what marks you down as "a child"

I explained with a degree of both knowledge & concern & you play the petulant child card.

Doubtless if you churned out such unclear pap in form of work for a teacher to look over & grade you'd be told that your work was unclear & ..but with a tad more tact based on them wanting to keep their job.
Go ruin your room & learn something from it.
Pip-pip
Mr_Gus02/12/2019 15:48

You failed because you were glib.You failed because you could have …You failed because you were glib.You failed because you could have explained in a clearer concise manner in the first instance.Why the heck should folk have to play 20 questions around you? that's what marks you down as "a child"I explained with a degree of both knowledge & concern & you play the petulant child card.Doubtless if you churned out such unclear pap in form of work for a teacher to look over & grade you'd be told that your work was unclear & ..but with a tad more tact based on them wanting to keep their job.Go ruin your room & learn something from it. .. Pip-pip

You like to talk so much to someone who’s probably less than half your age. Your own kids will definitely be on the receiving end of the kind of stupidity you’re portraying because what goes around comes around. I’m just here laughing at you . I wrote the initial situation i had in a bit of a rush so couldn’t really write everything i needed to. But surely you wouldn’t understand that since you’re jobless and only come on here to talk rubbish. Have a good day .
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions