Groups

redemption ??

Morning, i am a very confused mum who is trying to understand the word "redemption" with regard to mobile contracts...can anyone please explain this to me in simple english !!

My son wants a phone with a camera for xmas...having looked at all the sites and offers i am unable to decide which offer to use...either gifts like Wii or redemption ??

And also who is best provider Orange or Vodaphone...minutes and texts at a minimum as he is still in school ...he would use it just for emergencies and to communicate with me in need be.

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions as well !

27 Comments

Banned

where you have to send off to get cahsback, or send off bill 3 to get a wii etc,etc. Diont know how old your son is by my daughter went on ufix with t mobile when she 1st had a contract, its a contratc but once mins and texts are used for that monh you would have to top up to make more calls/texts, you cannot run up a bill

if you say he really would only use it for emergnecy then i dont see the point of having a contract, £10 on pay as you go will last him forever

Have you looked at this comparison site?
    omio.com/
    I've found it quite useful myself.

Original Poster

hiya, thanks for reply...i am still deciding on cashback or send off and he has a pay as you go and it doesnt seem to work..he sends his mates texts and they all on other networks and costs are different. And often have to top up three times a week £5 at a time... So if get the deal for £10 a month with 50min & 50 texts...that will be enough of him hopefully ! he is 12yrs old ONLY !

Original Poster

thanks anywherebuthere.....i did have a look but still confused on the redemption issue...tks

Banned

confusedmum;6864736

hiya, thanks for reply...i am still deciding on cashback or send off and … hiya, thanks for reply...i am still deciding on cashback or send off and he has a pay as you go and it doesnt seem to work..he sends his mates texts and they all on other networks and costs are different. And often have to top up three times a week £5 at a time... So if get the deal for £10 a month with 50min & 50 texts...that will be enough of him hopefully ! he is 12yrs old ONLY !

probably gonna get rocketed for this, but i really think you should receonsider getting an open ended contract, speak to other parents who have needed up with massive bills, kids tend to let others use their phones when they on contracts

Banned

redemption means you have to send in bills to get the money back, so be careful where you get from as some are tight on T&Cs

Should get the Orange 36 month deal then. £4.xx a month with a free phone. 50mins & 50 texts I think.

Banned

playing with fire here

For a 12 year old would it be better for pay as you go? For example on orange when you top £10 you get 300 free texts.]http//sh…hin

Original Poster

sassie...tks for the information and tks to you all for the help will take on board all of them x x

Basically you send them a copy of your bill after a period of time and you get a gift or cash in return. There is a few people who swear by redemption deals but be aware you need to send things off on time etc.

How old are they and how much are you looking to spend. Personally for my child I'd go for something like

threestore.three.co.uk/dea…132

Where they get lots of minutes and texts and cap the bill so thy can't go over the line rental amount.

There are some retention deals about that only end up costing a few ponds per month if all goes well though.

Original Poster

jtx ...thanks for that but i had a phone with 3 and the signal is very good in our area !

Banned

my daughter has been on ufix since she was 12 because for 3 yrs i found cashback deals, and all went well, and ended up paying for nothing after the cashback, she is now 16 and on her 1st real contract as in no cashback and non capped, she pays for this herself, but at 12 please be careful and consider everything, you hear awful stories off parents who end up with horrendous bills, good luck

Try quidco.com/ for some cashback too.

Original Poster

dananna ..tks for your info...but he wants a new phone with camera ! i would gladly get the pay as you go sim for him....but that wont make him happy - wants a camera ( wonder what for :o) )

I don't think i'd get a contract fone for a 12yr old either.

AS pointed out a PAYG one for a tenner a month should suffice with free texts surely.

I suppose kids are all different,my niece is 12 and rarely uses her fone,a tenner lasts her for 6 months!

She got the fone last Chistmas it was nearly a hundred pounds though!

Before deciding whether to go for a contract with redemption have a read of a very good guide to it writen by one of the mods, duckmagicuk2

Page1
    ]http//ww…t=3

Page 2
    ]http//ww…t=4

Banned

I think the OP's username says it all really............

Original Poster

sassie;6864827

my daughter has been on ufix since she was 12 because for 3 yrs i found … my daughter has been on ufix since she was 12 because for 3 yrs i found cashback deals, and all went well, and ended up paying for nothing after the cashback, she is now 16 and on her 1st real contract as in no cashback and non capped, she pays for this herself, but at 12 please be careful and consider everything, you hear awful stories off parents who end up with horrendous bills, good luck

many thanks for this....i think i will jsut buy a new phone and put him back on the pay as you go sim !

Banned

confusedmum;6864840

dananna ..tks for your info...but he wants a new phone with camera ! i … dananna ..tks for your info...but he wants a new phone with camera ! i would gladly get the pay as you go sim for him....but that wont make him happy - wants a camera ( wonder what for :o) )

do you have a contract phone? f not you keep the contract sim and give him the phone, remember also if he loses the phone you wont be covered unless you take out insurance, more money - lol

Original Poster

confusedmum;6864867

many thanks for this....i think i will jsut buy a new phone and put him … many thanks for this....i think i will jsut buy a new phone and put him back on the pay as you go sim !

I think that's the best plan ^^^^ just buy a new fone.

Original Poster

thank you all for the info...and helping me decide what to do !

i will just go and buy a new phone with camera and leave him on a pay as you go sim...thank you all- greatly appreciated !!

Banned

confusedmum;6864885

thank you all for the info...and helping me decide what to do !i will … thank you all for the info...and helping me decide what to do !i will just go and buy a new phone with camera and leave him on a pay as you go sim...thank you all- greatly appreciated !!

if you decide on which phone he wants, come back and say, we'll see if we can find it cheaper, also you will need to decide what netwrok he is going to be on unless your gonna buy an unlocked phone, most of cpw phones come unlocked

confusedmum;6864885

thank you all for the info...and helping me decide what to do !i will … thank you all for the info...and helping me decide what to do !i will just go and buy a new phone with camera and leave him on a pay as you go sim...thank you all- greatly appreciated !!

Good plan :thumbsup:

Just because the contract says for £10 a month you get X amount of texts and minutes, doesn't mean that you get cut off if you reach the limit. If he goes over the monthly limit, you have to pay extra on top of the £10 each month, so you could find yourself with some very hefty bills if you give your 12 year old a phone that he can make as many calls/send as many texts as he likes. New phone with pay as you go sim is def the best idea. Have a look around as you can get some good deals for pay as you go too.

Play.com have some good cheap phones on PAYG and those I've bought have all been unlocked. At his age with the risks of losing, breaking etc it isnt worth getting anything too fancy. O2 do some good Sim deals (as do others). Dont forget Quidco for both Play and Sim
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Argos 3 for 2 reserving early44
      2. DashCam Recommendation With Front And Rear Camera Built In22
      3. £1500 55 inch 4K TV56
      4. SCS add ons... are they worth it??48

See more discussions