Redmi Note 3 UK Setup Guide & Help?

14 replies
Found 30th Dec 2016
Good afternoon, HUKDers!

Ive jsut recieved my new Redmi Note 3 (Pro Prime) from China today after 3 weeks of waiting.

I was just wondering whether anyone has any experience with setting up a Redmi phone could help me with mine?

I have just completed the initial setup phase, but was wondering whether its possible to remove some unwanted MI branded apps and such?

I was also wondering beyond the initial setup, if theres anything i must to do to improve my experience in using the phone, i.e. download a specific app or enable specific settings.

Any support with this, would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

14 Comments

YouTube

Guess you have the international redmi note 3 with band 20? If so set locale to Falklands as no uk. No app draw as is so I just arranged icons in folders,you start this of by dragging a short cut onto another then keep adding more. Then watch YouTube for the good stuff phone will do I guess. Nothing I can add. I never bothered with nova launcher and camera apps, gallery apps and so on. Happy with phone as it.

wayners

Guess you have the international redmi note 3 with band 20? If so set … Guess you have the international redmi note 3 with band 20? If so set locale to Falklands as no uk. No app draw as is so I just arranged icons in folders,you start this of by dragging a short cut onto another then keep adding more. Then watch YouTube for the good stuff phone will do I guess. Nothing I can add. I never bothered with nova launcher and camera apps, gallery apps and so on. Happy with phone as it.

​can I ask why you set it to Falklands and not UK?

Dabstar

​can I ask why you set it to Falklands and not UK?

oO

Check you're software, you've not said where you bought it but most sellers load buggy virus ridden roms on the phones. I hope to god you've not entered any passwords for anything without reflashing it yourself first...

Anyway flash the global rom or preferably Xiaomi.eu rom.

You can go visit the Xiaomi store, enter the IMIE and it will tell you if it is a real or fake.

I've not found a way to get rid of the Google excess crap, Play Store just reinstalled it, most of the rest of it (the Xiaomi stuff) doesnt take up much space and some of it is quite nice).

I set mine to India - not sure if it is still true, but with the original Note, India had extra services that the other countries didnt, still displays in English.

Set up the battery saver to switch off wifi etc at night when you are asleep, this can double battery life, mine "sleeps" from 11pm till 7am, although you can wake it up any time you need it.

Initially, you will have only two screen to place icons on, but if you fill them, it will start a 3rd, and 4th, 5th... my old note was running 8 somehow, even though nearly half were usually empty after I foldered lots of stuff.

(You want to create a folder, just drag one app icon on top of another).

You want to set up a Mi account, not only does it give you 2GB of space to back up your phone to, but no one will be able to wipe your phone without the Mi account number and password.

There is an MIUI forum, it isnt well organised though, and can run very slow at times.

en.miui.com/for…php

Edited by: "Gentle_Giant" 30th Dec 2016

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Check you're software, you've not said where you bought it but most … Check you're software, you've not said where you bought it but most sellers load buggy virus ridden roms on the phones. I hope to god you've not entered any passwords for anything without reflashing it yourself first...Anyway flash the global rom or preferably Xiaomi.eu rom.

i brought it directly from the xiaomi online store on aliexpress Xiaomi Online Store. The only passwords ive entered is my google account (which is one i specifically have for phones and does not contain my personal information) and my wi fi password to download the MI update.

For my own sanity, i would like to flash the ROM, but im not sure how to do this. Is there a guide or resource i can use to achieve this?

Gentle_Giant

You can go visit the Xiaomi store, enter the IMIE and it will tell you if … You can go visit the Xiaomi store, enter the IMIE and it will tell you if it is a real or fake.I've not found a way to get rid of the Google excess crap, Play Store just reinstalled it, most of the rest of it (the Xiaomi stuff) doesnt take up much space and some of it is quite nice).I set mine to India - not sure if it is still true, but with the original Note, India had extra services that the other countries didnt, still displays in English.Set up the battery saver to switch off wifi etc at night when you are asleep, this can double battery life, mine "sleeps" from 11pm till 7am, although you can wake it up any time you need it.Initially, you will have only two screen to place icons on, but if you fill them, it will start a 3rd, and 4th, 5th... my old note was running 8 somehow, even though nearly half were usually empty after I foldered lots of stuff.(You want to create a folder, just drag one app icon on top of another).You want to set up a Mi account, not only does it give you 2GB of space to back up your phone to, but no one will be able to wipe your phone without the Mi account number and password.There is an MIUI forum, it isnt well organised though, and can run very slow at times.http://en.miui.com/forum.php

How do i check the authenticity of my phone? I tried typing in the IMEI number here but it didnt work? Plus according to the label i have 2 IMEI numbers

This has been very informative, thank you!
Edited by: "Trilink" 30th Dec 2016

dcx_badass

Check you're software, you've not said where you bought it but most … Check you're software, you've not said where you bought it but most sellers load buggy virus ridden roms on the phones. I hope to god you've not entered any passwords for anything without reflashing it yourself first...Anyway flash the global rom or preferably Xiaomi.eu rom.

Gentle_Giant

You can go visit the Xiaomi store, enter the IMIE and it will tell you … You can go visit the Xiaomi store, enter the IMIE and it will tell you if it is a real or fake.I've not found a way to get rid of the Google excess crap, Play Store just reinstalled it, most of the rest of it (the Xiaomi stuff) doesnt take up much space and some of it is quite nice).I set mine to India - not sure if it is still true, but with the original Note, India had extra services that the other countries didnt, still displays in English.Set up the battery saver to switch off wifi etc at night when you are asleep, this can double battery life, mine "sleeps" from 11pm till 7am, although you can wake it up any time you need it.Initially, you will have only two screen to place icons on, but if you fill them, it will start a 3rd, and 4th, 5th... my old note was running 8 somehow, even though nearly half were usually empty after I foldered lots of stuff.(You want to create a folder, just drag one app icon on top of another).You want to set up a Mi account, not only does it give you 2GB of space to back up your phone to, but no one will be able to wipe your phone without the Mi account number and password.There is an MIUI forum, it isnt well organised though, and can run very slow at times.http://en.miui.com/forum.php

That isn't the real Xiaomi store... It's a fake one using their name so I'd be doubly nervous of them putting some dodgy stuff on the phones. Anyway, plenty of guides for flashing the official rom on the mi forums or the xiaomi wiki on reddit.

You have two IMEI's as it's a dual sim phone, the Mi verifier only works from within China afaik, the phone is probably not fake though so I wouldn't really worry about that.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 30th Dec 2016

Xiaomi dont have an official AE store, however this IS the store their mods direct you to to buy their phones.

Dont worry about the ROM, I have bought several phones through this store over the last few years, and all of them have had the stock International ROM installed, with no nasty extras.

As for the IMEI, did you try the other number? My phone also came with two, and it was the 2nd that verified it as genuine. You got the number from Settings/About phone ?? Boxes can be reprinted much easier than phones can have the IMEI changed.

The verifier works perfectly OK outside China, I verified mine from the UK a few days before Christmas.

The phone should update within a day or two anyway, a new stable MIUI version came out Christmas Eve, you will get a red sub-icon Notification on the Tools/Update icon, start the updater app and it will tell you it has downloaded and is ready to reboot.

You can also manually check for the update using the updater app.

There arent many alternative ROMS for this phone, as it is a secondary version, DO NOT flash the standard Note 3, or Note 3 Pro as it will not work, and may brick the phone.
The 3 phones all have different chip sets/modems, and at the very least you will disable the 4G chip and leave you with 3G only.

There are plenty of guides on the MIUI forums on how to flash ROMS, using several different methods. The easiest and safest isnt working right now - MI do a PC Phone Management Suite, however the MIUI 8 update has broken it, and we are all waiting for the suite to be patched.

There's 2 thing that I've done to make my phone like a normal functioning phone. You're going to get delayed notifications i.e email, whatsapp etc etc you need to go settings/Additional Settings/PrivacyNotification access/make sure SpaceManagerService is checked. Once you done this your notifications should be instant

If you want your notification icons to show in the top left hand corner (so you know if you have anything unread) go to settings/Notifications & status bar/Show notification icons.

This one is a big deal because a lot of people are moaning about this in the forums. People are experiencing when they're using their mic on their hands free that the other person can't hear them talk (muffled voice)
settings/Google/Search & Now/Voice/''OK Google'' detection uncheck everything in this section.
Then settings/Google/Search & Now/Voice/Hands-free/For wired headsets (checked).
Additionally go to settings/SIM cards & mobile networks/VoLTE enabled (unchecked)

Now you got a normal working phone.

Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 31st Dec 2016

depends on which version you have.

if it's the band 20 Kate version then you're in a good place. It has a global ROM (one with the play store etc already in the ROM) already installed and if the phone came sealed then the only major thing to do is get in and update through the updater app to miui version 8.1.1.

everything else is muchly about preference. lots of people hate the miui launcher as it's too iPhone for them. you could just put the Google now launcher on from the play store or try others such as go launcher, nova, action, apex. nova is the most recommended. try see what you like though.

you may need to go into the security app and look at permissions. miui has a record of being aggressive in not letting apps auto start and keep running. so things like a new launcher or messaging apps you may need to say can auto start.

if your box came open then consider some virus scanning and malware scanning just so you have peace of mind no one has put anything on it.

if you didn't buy the band 20 Kate version then you need to understand what ROM you have now and what you want on. which requires work. I'd recommend the XDA website as they will no doubt have lots of tutorials already and people willing to help if you get stuck.

good luck and enjoy.

Original Poster

thanks for your suggestions all. My phone came sealed and was in pristine condition when it arrived. I've currently flashed my phone (just to be safe) to MIUI8 from the forums. it's running very smoothly now and have added Nova launcher prime for easy navigation. I also have the KATE VERSION of the phone as my phone is the international version (Redmi note 3 pro prime 5.5")

I will try to verify the phone shortly along with with trying the suggestions made by doncoop and riverdragon.

My only gripe thus far is that the phone thinks my SIM is T-Mobile rather than BT mobile. Not a major issue as the phone functions perfectly and I'm still receiving texts/calls from people.

Alternatively, i was wondering if anyone could help me identify a case to go along with my phone in the meantime? in my haste to order the phone I neglected to order a case along with it. I have since ordered one but will need to wait at least 20days for it to arrive. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of some reputable cases that ideally can be brought in the UK? as I'm vary anxious about dropping this lovely large phone while waiting for the case to arrive!

thanks!
Edited by: "Trilink" 1st Jan

Trilink

thanks for your suggestions all. My phone came sealed and was in pristine … thanks for your suggestions all. My phone came sealed and was in pristine condition when it arrived. I've currently flashed my phone (just to be safe) to MIUI8 from the forums. it's running very smoothly now and have added Nova launcher prime for easy navigation. I also have the KATE VERSION of the phone as my phone is the international version (Redmi note 3 pro prime 5.5")I will try to verify the phone shortly along with with trying the suggestions made by doncoop and riverdragon.My only gripe thus far is that the phone thinks my SIM is T-Mobile rather than BT mobile. Not a major issue as the phone functions perfectly and I'm still receiving texts/calls from people.Alternatively, i was wondering if anyone could help me identify a case to go along with my phone in the meantime? in my haste to order the phone I neglected to order a case along with it. I have since ordered one but will need to wait at least 20days for it to arrive. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of some reputable cases that ideally can be brought in the UK? as I'm vary anxious about dropping this lovely large phone while waiting for the case to arrive!thanks!

​theres a good XDA thread specifically for the Kate model listing accessories.

I've bought a lenou case which is doing the job for the moment from aliexpress. but wouldn't recommend it. funny cork feeling thing.

I've found if you search redmi note 3i case on aliexpress you get the right size ones. there seems to be a clear tpu super cheap on there now which is spot on.

getting one quicker than aliexpress would be tough I think!

doncoop

​theres a good XDA thread specifically for the Kate model listing a … ​theres a good XDA thread specifically for the Kate model listing accessories.I've bought a lenou case which is doing the job for the moment from aliexpress. but wouldn't recommend it. funny cork feeling thing.I've found if you search redmi note 3i case on aliexpress you get the right size ones. there seems to be a clear tpu super cheap on there now which is spot on.getting one quicker than aliexpress would be tough I think!

Just type in '152mm case' in the aliexpress search box.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!564116
    2. Leicester sack their manager!1119
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247578
    4. hotukdeals features in current edition of computer active magazine610

See more discussions