Reduce food waste and share surplus/unwanted food!

Posted 29th Oct
Right so this is my first deal post... so please be gentle.

I was recently introduced to the Olio app by someone who came to collect some things I was giving away. The platform is quite simple but the concept is fab!

It's designed to stop food wastage and also promotes recycling things you no longer want/need, but goods sharing I dont believe has been going as long as food sharing.

I've experienced it mostly in Central London and places including Pret, Sourced Market and more recently Selfridges food hall counters are also now donating what's left near the end of the day. The food is still fresh and good to eat, though you would usually get it near the end of the working day.

Volunteers, called 'Food waste Heroes' basically arrange pick up with the venue and then post what's available, the approximate time and area where to collect from. This is often near a tube, a supermarket or some share from thier homes.

All you do is browse if you would like something, request it, and if it's available the volunteer will tell you what's available, ask what you'd like and arrange a time and place with you.

Many of the items tend to be bakery things like breads, pastries, croissants and sandwiches, but it's ever expanding!

I believe it's a wonderful way to stop wastage of good food and provide a second life for unwanted items (this can be clothes, sofas, furniture, utensils... pretty much anything goes, but do check the guideline!).

I've attached a screenshot with some stats which states there are about 1.4 million users and 2.4 million portions of food have been shared!

Happy sharing! 3319734.jpg3319734.jpg3319734.jpg3319734.jpg3319734.jpg3319734.jpg3319734.jpg3319734.jpg3319734.jpg

olioex.com
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

8 Comments
consume30/10/2019 00:07

Comment deleted

Lol, I'm sure you're cooking is fine! Some people do share things they've made, but often, especially in the bigger cities its food from mixture of cafes, bakeries and little independent food places.
I was a bit disappointed with a recent Too Good To Go breakfast boyf picked up (actually thought this was another thread about it).

I think if these apps/services can give you some idea what to expect that would be even better. And the fact this one's being expanded to everyday items sounds even more appealing.

I've advertised free things on Freecycle, and, boy, be prepared for some hard luck sob story emails. I probably fell for it as I gave one to a "newly-separated single mum".
Edited by: "louiselouise" 30th Oct
There is another app what shops use, similar idea but you buy products cheap. The only place round here was for a cheap carvery on an evening between 7.30-8.30. Was less than half price.

I like the idea of these apps and food not getting wasted, but the truly needy/homeless don’t own smart phones to get access to this...
Bargainhead30/10/2019 05:38

There is another app what shops use, similar idea but you buy products …There is another app what shops use, similar idea but you buy products cheap. The only place round here was for a cheap carvery on an evening between 7.30-8.30. Was less than half price. I like the idea of these apps and food not getting wasted, but the truly needy/homeless don’t own smart phones to get access to this...

You've got a point, but maybe this platform is designed to approach wastage and awareness and promote sharing, rather than it being about needs or desperate circumstances...?

There's initiatives, food banks, soup kitchens etc to try and ease things for people, though there's always more to be done. Many places like this only accept non-perishable items, so long expiry, tinned and sealed when it comes to donations.

Its slowly changing though!

Popped into an M&S a little while back with the aim of scoring some yummy bakery bits at the marked down price before closing. Nothing was marked down!! It turned out that instead of marking items down, they now donate all thier fresh bakery items to a food initiative which gets distributed to those who need it. Such an awesome thing to do!

Having used this app to both give and take, I felt like I was simply sharing things, preventing stuff from going to landfill and doing a tiny bit to reduce my carbon footprint. Its defo made me more aware of how much waste I produced and the bins are not filling up as fast. I've also gotten a wee bit better at reducing my grocery shops and not getting 'just in case I fancy this' items lol.

I've personally had way too many times where I've done a weekly shop and planned meals... something changes and I end up with a bag of salad or I need only half a jar for a recipie etc that I'll not use and eventually ends up in the bin, which is such a shame when someone down the street may benefit from it.

The last thing I shared was a huge jar of coffee from Aldi which I thought was great value. Got it home to find it tasted very Starbucks/American in style.... I.e. bitter and a bit yuck for my liking, and someone else happily collected it and enjoyed it lol.

Also, I've found it can be quite convenient for someone to pop over and collect non-food items... saved me a trip to the charity shop a few times already.

Btw, were you referring to the Too Good To Go App? I've found that's a bit hit and miss and someplaces are really great, while others make you wonder what the point was. Trial and error I guess 😁
louiselouise30/10/2019 01:10

I was a bit disappointed with a recent Too Good To Go breakfast boyf …I was a bit disappointed with a recent Too Good To Go breakfast boyf picked up (actually thought this was another thread about it).I think if these apps/services can give you some idea what to expect that would be even better. And the fact this one's being expanded to everyday items sounds even more appealing.I've advertised free things on Freecycle, and, boy, be prepared for some hard luck sob story emails. I probably fell for it as I gave one to a "newly-separated single mum".

I've found you've got to try a few places and you get a feel for what feels 'worth it' or not. In that app though you can see how people have reviewed it... I.e. did they get enough, were they happy etc.
Also timing is a factor. When I've gone at the beginning of the collection time, I got a larger selection and the freedom to chose in Popina cafe. If youre the last to go, either you're lucky and you get a haul of everything that's left, or you still get something worth more than what you paid, but without the choice. Each place is different, and a lot of these places are still trying to figure out how to go about it.

Yep, agree about Freecycle. Felt a bit messy and you get bombarded. I've given things away on Gumtree, and at least I can delete the add once done so I don't keep getting lots of requests.
Both Olio and TooGoodToGo apps do actively prevent small daily good-quality food going to waste. Perfect for people in large cities. Good job trying to highlight this OP!
LeighChester30/10/2019 07:36

Both Olio and TooGoodToGo apps do actively prevent small daily …Both Olio and TooGoodToGo apps do actively prevent small daily good-quality food going to waste. Perfect for people in large cities. Good job trying to highlight this OP!

Thank you
Had Olio app for a couple of years but nothing worthwhile within 5 miles so not economical to collect.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants