Redundancy ?

Posted 30th Mar
Just made a redundant an hour ago extremely stressed never claimed benefits and worked for over 17 years what to do or where to start ?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Sorry to hear your bad news I wish I had some better advice but it’s bad enough times without any added stress so I just wanted to wish you all the best and I hope you get things sorted swiftly.
Edited by: "ChelseaRae" 30th Mar
23 Comments
Worked for over 17 years? I hope you got a big payout!

103K queue wait for universal credit last I heard.
Best of luck.
Do you have savings over £6000, if so you might not entitled to universal credit.
I could be wrong.
It's easier said than done. But try not to stress out too much. You've been working for 17 years so you have a lot of experience and skills. Reach out to some people in your network to see if they have anything available. You can see if you can get any of the temporary jobs at the supermarkets.

I hope everything works out for you.

If the company you worked for has gone insolvent you can get the satutory redundancy pay from the insolvency service.

gov.uk/red…ine
I’d say first place would be the pub, but your out of luck. Supermarket alcohol isle, get wasted for a few days then think about it for a while...

could your our employer not put you on furlough..
Sorry to hear your bad news I wish I had some better advice but it’s bad enough times without any added stress so I just wanted to wish you all the best and I hope you get things sorted swiftly.
Edited by: "ChelseaRae" 30th Mar
sorry to hear that.

unfortunately more people will be made redundant through the current crisis as companies fold or look to save costs. if it was me, i would look to get a job with the supermarkets as they are recruting mass scale for temporary jobs at the moment. at least it would be something to get your mind off the redundancy and tie you over until this crisis calms down and you can start to look for another job.
Were you on reasonable terms with your employer? You could ask them to take you back and put you on furlough at 80% wages which they could then claim back.

gov.uk/gui…eme
Edited by: "Yenyoc" 30th Mar
I took redundancy in September and got a job in the same industry and started a week later. If you can do similar then you’ll have the tax free portion of redundancy to spend or save. Like someone said, Taking a temp job in supermarket or similar might be the only jobs available until things get back to normal. All the best.
Sorry to hear! What field you in?
If you do struggle to find a job try social care they are crying out for workers.
I was made redundant Friday company went into liquidation got to claim redundancy off government
bigwheels30/03/2020 19:29

Do you have savings over £6000, if so you might not entitled to universal …Do you have savings over £6000, if so you might not entitled to universal credit.I could be wrong.

Savings over £6k affect the amount of benefits but you can still get some universal credit as long as the savings are under £16k

moneysavingexpert.com/fam…it/
Why bother with benefits when there’s 1000s of jobs in supermarkets at the min
ashmac30/03/2020 23:34

Why bother with benefits when there’s 1000s of jobs in supermarkets at the …Why bother with benefits when there’s 1000s of jobs in supermarkets at the min

40234823-QPprw.jpg
zawer_jassan130/03/2020 23:51

IT

What’s job we’re you in, might be able to help. I’m not a recruiter but may have some contacts.
This happened to me last year after 20 years, it is shocking, no two way about it.
Assuming you were a regular PAYE employee and have paid National Insurance all the way through, you should be entitled to Job Seekers Allowance which is not means tested and is relatively straightforward to get.gov.uk/job…nce
You should also be entitled to Statutory Redundancy Payments. This is slightly more complex as it comes in different parts, but once a claim is made the money comes to you quickly. Bear in mind parts of it are taxed and the tax can be reclaimed in some circumstances. gov.uk/red…pay
Be prepared for a bit of a shock when you deal with the DWP. The levels of bureaucracy are staggering and everything happens slowly. Try to know the rules and what you are entitled to entitledto.co.uk/ and work with the staff. If you have come from any sort of professional background they won't really know what to do with you, but are generally glad to help if they can.
Lastly, there are many different and poorly advertised schemes within national and local government to help you remain employable or to acquire new skills which will help you back to work. The key phrase is 'barrier to work', this phrase can be used to release funds for training courses or re-training.
All the best
ashmac30/03/2020 23:34

Why bother with benefits when there’s 1000s of jobs in supermarkets at the …Why bother with benefits when there’s 1000s of jobs in supermarkets at the min

What a great time to be huddled together with loads of random strangers coughing everywhere and oh did I also mention random public coming in choking everywhere as well without a care in the world,no thanks I’ll sit it out for a while
That's crap news - I got made redundant from my last job, I got lucky as a mate helped me out.

We have a couple of I.T developer jobs going in my company, what exactly are you looking for?
Bigfootpete31/03/2020 18:54

That's crap news - I got made redundant from my last job, I got lucky as a …That's crap news - I got made redundant from my last job, I got lucky as a mate helped me out.We have a couple of I.T developer jobs going in my company, what exactly are you looking for?

Thanks , infrastructure engineer
Ok, are you anywhere near Woking? Or willing to re-locate? If so pm me some details of your skills and I can ask, I'm good friends with the global head of Infrastructure at my company.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions