Redundancy question (Employee Representative)

Found 3rd Nov 2017
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience going through redundancy? My company has just started collective consultation as it looks like 250 out of 300 of us will be getting the boot because London is too expensive!

My question...

We are nominating an employee representative next week and the ACAS guide says that certain information must be provided to the employee representative in advance of the first meeting in writing (descriptions of people affected, how they calculate redundancy payment etc.) - Does the employee representative have to share this information with the group or are they not obliged/not allowed?

I appreciate I can just call the ACAS helpline but they aren't open until Monday now so I'm hoping someone can shed some light if they've been through it before.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
I've been through this process. The initial info provided was nothing of note that anyone I was representing would have not already know or have been interested in.. e.g. everyone in a certain building would be at risk.. as the building is closing.
It's in the actual meetings you get the info. Like all staff can/can't relocate and what offers if any are available. This info from the meetings can be passed on to everyone , it's not like secret meetings where they are two steps ahead. The company will have already looked at the legal process and costed it.
So it's just following a process to unfortunately do whatever they want.

What industry are you in? Do you think you can find another job fairly quickly or are you taking some time out?
Original Poster
Thanks for the info, really appreciated!

We've been given headline numbers per department but our department aren't impacted as much compared to others.

The other department on our floor are pretty much all going and maybe 3-4 on our team. The rest of my team are all staying but being repositioned into our existing office space in London so won't be impacted. I'm just hoping they can give specifics during the initial consultation as to who in my team is at risk. I expect they already know but just going through the motions.

It's just the uncertainty and not knowing which is annoying, other teams know what's coming because they're all moving but not ours.

No chance of taking a break, as much as I would love it! I work in recruitment as an IT trainer and looking at the market for trainers in London I should be ok but with Brexit now becoming a reality it may change!
Usually it's a points system that determines who stays and goes.
Factors include skills, qualifications performance and sickness records etc.
Those who tend to be the bottom of the points system tend to be the ones who go, but often it's voluntary that's offered first and sometimes enough people go that way.

So you work in recruitment and recruit IT trainer's? I actually work in Tech support but also do HP MSA and HP MSL training.
Edited by: "Dawsy" 4th Nov 2017
I went through redundancy nearly 2 years ago. They company give me a figure on how many need to go and then the employee's nominated a representative and they handled it from there. Mine lasted 6 weeks before decisions were made and each week we would meet with the Representative and they gave out tid bits of info that was fed from the company. final week all employees went threough a popints based system of performance etc. and from they they wopuld decide who would go and who would stay. It went on waaaay too long
They drag it out so that employees have plenty of time to find another job and leave themselves.
Just 1 employee rep for 300 people ? We had 1 per 100 and from different areas of the business . It was standard 90 day consultation and HR controlled the " official" releases from the meetings . Is it unionised? Or is it just 1 person ?
The criteria for payoffs was points .. Except for management who were shuffled around into job keeping roles .
Seek advice from union reps or labour organisations cos ACAS we found to be less than useles
Pandamansays53 m ago

They drag it out so that employees have plenty of time to find another job …They drag it out so that employees have plenty of time to find another job and leave themselves.

If it's a decent amount of redundancy and bearing in mind it's London, so plenty of jobs in theory, would imagine most would sit it out and wait . But that depends on money being offered of course.
Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies.

To answer some points...

We have more than 1 rep, it's just 1 rep for our departments (HR & L and D). We are not unionised.

I work in recruitment AS an IT trainer so I'm not tied to a specific industry if I need to find a new job.

It sounds like there will be another few weeks of uncertainty which isn't great, I guess I'll step up my job hunt just in case!
Edited by: "shane_elliott80" 4th Nov 2017
shane_elliott8029 m ago

Thanks for all the replies. To answer some points...We have more than 1 …Thanks for all the replies. To answer some points...We have more than 1 rep, it's just 1 rep for our departments (HR & L and D). We are not unionised.I work in recruitment AS an IT trainer so I'm not tied to a specific industry if I need to find a new job.It sounds like there will be another few weeks of uncertainty which isn't great, I guess I'll step up my job hunt just in case!

Has your company made redundancies before , and at what rate? You should be preparing a list of questions to give to rep to get answers from the company , you will be amazed at the ridiculous things people want to ask .
The points system became irrelevant at our place because HR moved , retrained , and generally manoeuvred friends and family into safe jobs and made the atmosphere so awful that people were glad to get their pay off.
Edited by: "plodging" 4th Nov 2017
I move around a lot and always hoping to be made redundant as I end up with free money from a redundancy. It can be daunting and stressful if you need a job. Hang on in there, as redundancy can work in your favour if you are mobile.

The representative is supposed to pass information on to the rest of the employees and to feed back response to the employer. Redundancy process should take minimum 2 months consultation before redundancy notice if done correctly I believe.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions