Groups

Reference material for KS1 teaching at home?

I know there is a slight possibility that I could get beaten up by some of you for asking this here, but I think the benefits probably outweigh the beating.

I plan to teach my twins (who are now in Year 2) English and Maths in addition to what they are learning at school.

Are there any parents/teachers/knowledgeable members who would recommend any worksheets or other methods of teaching them?

Thank you.

14 Comments

I work in a school and we use twinkle and phonics play alot. And you can get a lot of work sheets from abacus books.
    Edited by: "lynsaydyson" 4th Nov 2016

Not sure why anyone would have an issue with you doing the best for your kids...

We do basic maths with a pen and paper, but found that a pack of magnetic numbers was a really useful tool too.

Original Poster

lynsaydyson

I work in a school and we use twinkle and phonics play alot. And you can … I work in a school and we use twinkle and phonics play alot. And you can get a lot of work sheets from abacus books.

Thank you lynsaydyson.
    Can you kindly provide some links? I can google but there are so many similar named websites, its slightly confusing. Any worksheets / reference books I should invest in?

Original Poster

Mermoo

Not sure why anyone would have an issue with you doing the best for your … Not sure why anyone would have an issue with you doing the best for your kids...We do basic maths with a pen and paper, but found that a pack of magnetic numbers was a really useful tool too.

I have experienced a lot of people being shot down on this site, so the fear.

I bought a magnetic board and some magnets recently. Definitely useful. Thank you Mermoo.

Original Poster

lynsaydyson

http://m.twinkl.co.ukhttp://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/Primary/Mathematics/AllMathematicsresources/Abacus/Abacus.aspx...

Thank you. Much appreciate your help.

Original Poster

lynsaydyson

Www.phonicplay.co.uk is very good also

You meant: phonicsplay.co.uk

yes

We home educated.

Check out "centre for innovation in maths" run by Plymouth University.

cimt.org.uk/pro…htm

It can be used right up to A level.

You can by the course books at a very reasonable price, or download and print.

You get student and teacher work sheets.

I hope the link above works ok.

Also check our Khan Academy.

If you don't mind paying, Learners Cloud is also a good resource.

Lol... typo (Not spelling correction) buy.

Original Poster

hottoast

Lol... typo (Not spelling correction) buy.

Thank you hottoast.

Banned

try private tuition. £55 or so for 1 subject. lots going around such as Qumon and other locals

twinkl.co.uk, you will need a subscription to get the good stuff! look around, it might be worth paying.
    education.com is great, I've a lifetime sub! you can get some free content, again, personal opinion if its worth paying, it is an american site though. Generally year 2 is second grade.
    Edco.ie is an Irish site, but some of their books and resources are also used in UK. year 2 in UK would be about 1st class in Ireland.
    prim-ed.com. I've introduced several teachers to their new wave mental maths / New wave English in Practice books and they're great. 10 questions each day and the children do them timed. I used to give my class 5 mins at the start of the year, within about 2 months we were down to 3 minutes. great exam prep! and just checking that they understand things out of context.
    RWI (read write inc) is good if you need any help with phonics. I dont much rate their books, personal opinion.

I was a teacher in the UK for the past 3 years, so I will add 1 caveat. Schools have very set ways of doing things, and if theres more than one method for doing something (Im thinking of maths here) the school will have a set way of doing it, and the children will be expected to do it that way. Its to do with standardising and its so annoying, but if your kids have a different way of doing working things out (even if they get the same answers) or use different language they may not fit the criteria set by the school to have "achieved" an objective. long term it isnt an issue, short term it can be a bloody nightmare for the teacher. I'm not saying dont help them, more remind them if teacher says do it a different way, then do it teachers way at school. Its the same with handwriting. They will be expected to form letters a set way, if its not part of the school handwriting scheme, wont be accepted.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheap 'smart phone' for child wanted.22
      2. Ditched Sky22
      3. When is the next Howdens Joinery sale?11
      4. Xbox one region23

See more discussions