Refund problem with Gearbest

Found 20th Jan 2016
I've had quite a few successful orders from Gearbest ranging from a few pounds to around £100 without having a problem. I've even stuck up for them on here before.

However...

I placed an order for a few items, one of the items was approx £25. After 9 days the order still hadn't been shipped so I enquired and they said it would be a few more days. I asked if it was possible if I could cancel the £25 item as I needed it but I still wanted the other items. They said that was fine and they had cancelled it on the system and I would get a refund at the point of dispatch. It took another week or so before dispatch, and at this point I got a confirmation that the item I now no longer wanted had been sent. I enquired again and they said they would sort it when it arrived.

It arrived they said I would have to return it to get a refund. I replied to say it was there mistake sending it and their policy states that they offer a full refund if incorrect items are delivered. After a bit of going back and forth they eventually agreed to that they would refund the item price and the return postage once they receive the item back. However the cheapest trackable delivery to send it back is £47 - nearly double the items value. They have agreed they will refund this when it arrives back. I don't believe they will and at that point I would neither have the item or the money and would be £47 further out of pocket.

I raised it as a paypal claim instead and have asked for a partial refund - trying to be as fair as possible. I put this at $20. They replied via the gearbest system to say that they would give me a $20 credit on my account but only if I cancelled the paypal claim first.

What would you do? Pursue the paypal claim or hope that they honour their word and give the credit. I'm sure I can use the credit over time with them but am slightly concerned that once I cancel the paypal claim that they would then not give the credit.
Community Updates
AskMovie
18 Comments
Had a similar issue with JL and socks. They sent me an order minus socks, said they would come etc. etc. Raised PP claim when they did not.

They wanted me to relent the PP claim I did and they still did not refund, so I had to contact PP to do it again.

IMO/E when your down the PP claim route, stick with it. Worst case scenario you get the same out come.
As above, stick with your claim as you couldn't re-open it once closed.
ha you're kinder than me, I would go down the PayPal claim route for a full refund.

although I would worry that paypal will find in their favour as you did get what you ordered - hmmm, not sure now.

Gearbest should be banned from this site.

Hope you get it sorted though op.
Original Poster
Thanks, Gearbest seem to be fine until there is a problem. As I say I've not had a problem before and have paced quite a few orders and will again but after sales care is poor.

I've got it in writing that they cancelled the item and promised to refund the amount for that item, so hopefully paypal would find in my favour but I can't guarantee it - they could view it that it was what I originally ordered.
Original Poster
RiverDragon8

Sell it on eBay at a loss (or profit if your lucky). I'm always buying … Sell it on eBay at a loss (or profit if your lucky). I'm always buying things from this site and selling it on (can't stop buying thing from here). What was the item?

Embarrassingly it was a Raspberry Pi 2. I was buying some other bits and just added it without really thinking. It was a couple of pounds cheaper than from the UK but really I'd have preferred to have bought from the UK. When they hadn't sent anything out after 9 days, I contacted them, cancelled it and got one from UK within a couple of days.

I've used the Raspberry Pi 2 and also bought a Pi Zero to play around with, and now have another Pi2. I may well find another use for it in the future so probably won't bother to sell it but really wouldn't have ordered a second one if they hadn't have said they would cancel it.

I'd stick with the PayPal claim for full cost. It's their mistake and system failure. Although I've ordered a few items from Gearbest I haven't suffered any poor customer service in fact they tried to assist me with speeding up delivery because I thought I'd be spending a few days in hospital.
The problem that I see with both Gearbest and Banggood is that they're not used to giving the customer service like what the majority of Europe are used to. And it's only by going through PayPal or by reiterating SOGA (or whatever it's called now) that these companies will learn what's right and wrong.
The main bugbear for me with both is the lead time for delivery will say 3 - 7 business days when they don't actually have stock.

Edited by: "philphil61" 20th Jan 2016
I just purchased elephone before Xmas as a present. Took a while to arrive even though they claimed it was to be shipped from there European warehouse. It arrived and it would not turn on or charge. Doa in there case. I opened a dispute and are quick to reply. Asked me details about the fault which I replied to. Then after pictures where needed etc which I responded to. Then a offer of sending them more money so I could keep the old phone and they send another. Pretty much there return policy is rubbish and expecting anything to be sorted is long and painful. I have opened a PayPal claim and won't be closing it till I get the item sent back and a refund. I lost trust in gearbest after this 1st and last experience. Never close a claim until you have been refunded. Companies like this are trying to fool you and it does speak well for the company. Items also have to be shipped back to China and not to europe.
Edited by: "kash2013" 20th Jan 2016
Banned
Gearbest is the worst Chinese cc, don't be fooled. The company post their own stuff on this site
Original Poster
RiverDragon8

If you would have took it to the post office they would of charged you … If you would have took it to the post office they would of charged you about £7 to ship it to China or £12 with tracking, i don't know where you got £47 from. Knowing the cost to send it back i would of sold it on eBay.

Check it on the royal mail postage calculator.

The prices it gives me are:

Royal Mail International Signed - £9.75
Parcelforce Globalexpress - £63.05
Parcelforce Globalpriority - £47

The International Signed is only trackable until it leaves the UK and is supposed to be a signed for service but they won't provide you with a signature. As I would need that for paypal etc the cheapest suitable service is the £47 one.
I recently tried to order from them and on the website it stated the item was £121 but when it went through to PayPal it was £134, 10% more. Obviously I didn't continue with the transaction. I would trust PayPal more than Gearbest.
Hi rejcomp just to let you know that when ordering from Gearbest their prices are in USdollars but will show on web the sterling equivalent. The charge that goes to PayPal is in dollars so PayPal charge commission for changing the currency. I placed a small order with Gearbest last night and was charged extra by Paypal.
Original Poster
RiverDragon8

It's £7.70 standard delivery to China, add another £5 if you want t … It's £7.70 standard delivery to China, add another £5 if you want tracking. I know from first hand experience because I've just returned a £90 phone back to Gearbest. For a £25 item it wasn't worth sending back and you should have sold it on eBay or on here to get what you could back from your initial outlay. Paying £47 to send back a £25 item?? ermmm no.

As I posted above though the postage you quote is only tracked until it leaves the UK. Paypal won't accept that if needed as evidence. The cheapest with full tracking that I can find from Royal Mail is £47.

As I have posted above I haven't sent it back. They have said that if I return it they will refund me £71 when they get it back but I don't believe them given the items value - I expect I will pay to return it and best get my original money back and therefore I would be out of pocket.

They have now offered me two choices, they want me to cancel the paypal claim and they will give me a $20 credit, or they are offering a partial refund of $7 through the paypal claim.

I won't sell it on ebay as I may use it in the future.
Original Poster
Well that ended as the most bizarre experience I have ever had with a company!

My paypal request was for a partial refund of $20 on a product which cost $37.

They said they would give me a store credit but only if I closed the paypal case or they would give me a partial refund of $7 through paypal.

I decided that it was too risky to close the paypal case as I would be left with nothing then if they decided not to apply the credit.

So I carried on with the paypal claim.

To my surprise I lost the paypal case, I was really disappointed with paypal regarding this, but it came down to the fact that Gearbest were offering to pay for the £47 return postage plus refund when it got back (I don't believe they actually would and I would have no way of claiming more money than I originally spent afterwards - but as they made the offer, I lost the case!)

So I thought I'd try one last thing and messaged Gearbest to say that the paypal case was now closed and I asked if they could now apply the $20 store credit, they said they couldn't apply the credit but would refund $20 via paypal.

Today I have the refund in my paypal account.

So they've gone all round the houses, when they could have just given the refund in the first place, but the end result is that I'm happy with gearbest and will use them again. However I am disappointed with paypal and will be more cautious when using them.
nbuuifx

Thanks, Gearbest seem to be fine until there is a problem. As I say I've … Thanks, Gearbest seem to be fine until there is a problem. As I say I've not had a problem before and have paced quite a few orders and will again but after sales care is poor.I've got it in writing that they cancelled the item and promised to refund the amount for that item, so hopefully paypal would find in my favour but I can't guarantee it - they could view it that it was what I originally ordered.

+1
Gearbest are a strange one, I've not had a good experience from them on the 4 orders I've placed with them (currently waiting for something ordered 36 days ago) but I have always received the items in the end and they have been good quality.
nbuuifx

Embarrassingly it was a Raspberry Pi 2. I was buying some other bits and … Embarrassingly it was a Raspberry Pi 2. I was buying some other bits and just added it without really thinking. It was a couple of pounds cheaper than from the UK but really I'd have preferred to have bought from the UK. When they hadn't sent anything out after 9 days, I contacted them, cancelled it and got one from UK within a couple of days.I've used the Raspberry Pi 2 and also bought a Pi Zero to play around with, and now have another Pi2. I may well find another use for it in the future so probably won't bother to sell it but really wouldn't have ordered a second one if they hadn't have said they would cancel it.

Off topic but what were/are you planning to use the Pis for?
Original Poster
Peter9588

Off topic but what were/are you planning to use the Pis for?

Well the original one (RPi2) I got is a media server/player in the living room. It is running OSMC, it has a 500GB USB drive plugged in which I can rip DVDs and CDs to. The kids absolutely love it. Very easy to setup, I just used the OSMC installer. I just had to make a couple of tweaks, one to give more power to the USB so I could power the HDD off it (so only the one power supply) and the second was for the HDMI output - for some reason it was too bright using the default settings.

I've got a pair of chromecasts which are on the other two TVs in the house so we can use BubbleUpnp on our phones to get the chromecasts to play the media from the raspberry pi. The only drawback with this is that it is only mp4 files that work well. Avi etc don't work.

This second one I haven't touched yet as wasn't sure if I was sending it back but I'm kind of tempted to mirror the other one and put it in our bedroom with another HDD attached, then media could be added to both and watched on both.

I also purchased a pi zero - I have a couple of plans for that. The main thing I want to try is another media player, but I want to build it into an old 12v LCD monitor I have, the idea being to make a self contained media player to use in our campervan. We can just grab the HDD from the living room RPi2, plug it in and have access to the same whilst away.

I was also going to have a play with one of them with some robotics type stuff but I've been using some UNO boards instead - they're really cheap and a bit better suited.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions