Refund rights

Found 28th May
Hi all,

I need some advice please.

Today during a trip to Wicksteed Park with my family my oil service light came on.

I went to a Shell store in Kettering and purchased some oil.

On inspection of checking the car dip stick the oil was full and it turned out that the warning light was just a service reminder.

Later the same day I went back to the shell store to return the oil and asked for a refund.

Unfortunately, the member of staff did not know how to do a refund and said that he would need a manager to help who was not present. He said that I would have to come back another day to get a refund. I then explained that I wasn't from Kettering and I live near Cambridge so I can't go back to the store. He then explained that I could get a refund in any Shell store who had a manager to authorise this.

I then remembered that I pass a large shell petrol station at the Cambridge services so I decided to pop in there on the way home.

Unfortunately, when I went to the Cambridge services store I was told that they can't give refunds for purchases from other stores.

I explained what happened in the Kettering store and I was told I was given incorrect information.

I'm now left with oil that I don't need.

Surely I should be able to get a refund from another Shell station.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
markpj77719 m ago

Thanks all. The car has only just had a service. They just didn't reset …Thanks all. The car has only just had a service. They just didn't reset the computer. I've reset it myself. This must happen a lot when you are travelling and want to return something.

There's no legal obligation for any shop to offer you a refund simply because you changed your mind.
5 Comments
They will be a franchise, not actually owned by the petrol company, if they exchange it or refund it will only be a goodwill gesture. A bit like going to the McDonald's at Cambridge services then going into the Grafton centre to complain that you were missing a portion of fries.
As above comment. Fuel is provided by Shell but the actual forecourt shops are franchise so they don’t have to accept returns from other shops. The sales assistant told you incorrect information. I find forecourt shops similar to your local corner shop when it comes to customer service.
If it's a 1l bottle just keep it in the boot if you need it for a top-up. If it's a 5l then just give it to the garage to use when you have it serviced (as it's due a service anyway).
Thanks all. The car has only just had a service. They just didn't reset the computer. I've reset it myself. This must happen a lot when you are travelling and want to return something.
markpj77719 m ago

Thanks all. The car has only just had a service. They just didn't reset …Thanks all. The car has only just had a service. They just didn't reset the computer. I've reset it myself. This must happen a lot when you are travelling and want to return something.

There's no legal obligation for any shop to offer you a refund simply because you changed your mind.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants