Refund rights Argos electronic goods

Found 8th Apr 2016
Hi, having bought the Lenovo A8 ( A5500F ) tablet from the Argos deal post on HUKD's last November - I wish to claim a refund from Argos - as the tablet refuses to hold onto it's wifi connection for more than a minute or two and to be frank it drives you nuts having to reset each time. The tablet is now as good as useless.
Having googled the problem - it appears Android/Lenovo cannot release software updates to fix the problem, which is - the tablets and certain routers ( like my bog standard one ) do not talk to each other properly. This problem appears to extend well beyond this model - which is pretty shameful for a big company such as Lenovo.
I do not want to walk into Argos & have them tell me they will send the tablet away for repair - as I have already done factory resets & had my router checked. I have seen countless stories about Argos refusing refunds on electronic devices for various reasons.
I wish to reject the tablet as unfit for purpose - which it is due to the aforementioned software problems Lenovo/Android refuse to fix.
Under the sale of goods act ( thanks for dereklogan7 link below now changed to Consumer Rights Act ) what are my exact rights in this matter ?

Any thoughts on the subject would be most appreciated.

Cheers.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
27 Comments

What does the Sale of goods act state?

Say it doesn't work as the wifi cuts out and you want your money back!

You should be fine. Just take it back and say it's not working and you want your money back as having it replaced its not a guarantee that the next one won't have the same fault.

I'd be interested to know how you get on. I also bought two of these. They both frequently lose a large chunk of their built in storage, which can only be resolved by a factory reset. One of them also frequently loses a lot of installed apps due to an issue with play store updates.

Banned

I had a grill which broke used many times no original packaging and I just wondered in with it a bag a few weeks ago and got a full refund.
It was bough in July 15

Original Poster

davewave

What does the Sale of goods act state?

Is that a rhetorical question ?

Original Poster

Rid1

Say it doesn't work as the wifi cuts out and you want your money back!

I have had a number of dealings over the years with major companies including Argos - where jumped up store managers have tried to renege on basic consumer law.
I have also spent wasted months dealing with trading standards over a bang to rights claim against a Holiday Company - where Trading Standards promised to sort the case - but pulled out as they did not want to pay the court fees. So they can be as good as useless in backing up any claims against a retail company.

Just looking for anyone who has dealt with Argos over similar issue - as I will lose my cool if my only option - is for them to have it 'repaired'.

Original Poster

B4LKN

You should be fine. Just take it back and say it's not working and you … You should be fine. Just take it back and say it's not working and you want your money back as having it replaced its not a guarantee that the next one won't have the same fault.

Think I will print out a number of pages from the Lenovo 'wifi problems' forum & take them as backup. Probably print the main areas of sale of goods act - while I'm at it..
Edited by: "bobbybuilder" 9th Apr 2016

Original Poster

cokezone1112

I had a grill which broke used many times no original packaging and I … I had a grill which broke used many times no original packaging and I just wondered in with it a bag a few weeks ago and got a full refund. It was bough in July 15

Same here - but they don't always have same rules of sale - especially if product had a special discount.
I'm checking all options - as I want this to be a one time return visit - I don't want them stringing me out over weeks. Don't want to fobbed off with fake repair - problem is software not hardware.

The sale of goods act was replaced last October. which.co.uk/con…act

Original Poster

miikeyblue

I'd be interested to know how you get on. I also bought two of these. … I'd be interested to know how you get on. I also bought two of these. They both frequently lose a large chunk of their built in storage, which can only be resolved by a factory reset. One of them also frequently loses a lot of installed apps due to an issue with play store updates.

Yeah my tablet also misses certain key taps when typing - silent mode won't stay on.
Shame really it's a great lightweight tablet - but has the one major software bug I can't live with - the Lenovo / android forum fixes are numerous & pretty laughable to be frank.
Wifi on a standard router should be plug n play outta the box & stay that way.

Original Poster

dereklogan7

The sale of goods act was replaced last October. … The sale of goods act was replaced last October. http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

Cheers, will have a delve through that shortly.

bobbybuilder

I have had a number of dealings over the years with major companies … I have had a number of dealings over the years with major companies including Argos - where jumped up store managers have tried to renege on basic consumer law.I have also spent wasted months dealing with trading standards over a bang to rights claim against a Holiday Company - where Trading Standards promised to sort the case - but pulled out as they did not want to pay the court fees. So they can be as good as useless in backing up any claims against a retail company.Just looking for anyone who has dealt with Argos over similar issue - as I will lose my cool if my only option - is for them to have it 'repaired'.

I had a kind of similar problem with my Tablet a year ago. They asked if i wanted it to be repaired, i told them no and was adamant. They brought out their store manager, but I didn't have any of it

Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice -from reading the new Consumer Rights Act - I cannot assume to get a full refund straight away. It appears they have the right to attempt a repair. If it does not work I have the right to get a refund. But they may well have a right to give me a partial refund. It appears I have more of a chance of a full refund as I bought the tablet less than 6 months ago. They may also give me a full refund refund straight away - because the cost of repair maybe disproportionate to it's value.

Clear as mud lol

Banned

Did you use a credit card, my card gives me 12months guarantee direct and they will deal direct.

Original Poster

Rid1

I had a kind of similar problem with my Tablet a year ago. They asked if … I had a kind of similar problem with my Tablet a year ago. They asked if i wanted it to be repaired, i told them no and was adamant. They brought out their store manager, but I didn't have any of it

I'm nobody's fool when it comes to standing up for myself. But I have on a number of occasions found that some stores ( I can think of a local Currys in particular ) where the Store Managers ego completely takes over from their duty to comply with the laws of the land.
You'd swear the money was coming out of their own pocket.
My other issue is - how many deals are being sold as 'deals' because they are selling off their stock as they know there is a fundamental problem - due to high number returned for refund.

Original Poster

powerjumps18

Did you use a credit card, my card gives me 12months guarantee direct and … Did you use a credit card, my card gives me 12months guarantee direct and they will deal direct.

Think mostly works on purchases over £100 - this was under & why it was on HUKD's lol

If the unit is less then six months old it will be considered faulty since manufacture, You have to give them one chance to repair, doesn't matter if its software/hardware. After this if still faulty they have the following choices, pro rata refund, full refund, exchange for either a brand new or refurbished unit.

Remember your contract is with Argos and its up to them to repair/sort the problem out.

Banned

bobbybuilder

Think mostly works on purchases over £100 - this was under & why it was … Think mostly works on purchases over £100 - this was under & why it was on HUKD's lol

​i wasn't referring the consumer credit act, credit card companies have their own policy, comes as a credit card protection something that Amex offers regardless of spend

Have you even tried to take it back to Argos? If not then do it, stop assuming the worst. I have never had an issue with Argos on refunds ever, I took a Henry Hoover which lost its suction after just under 12 month. Refunded it no questions asked.

Original Poster

powerjumps18

​i wasn't referring the consumer credit act, credit card companies have t … ​i wasn't referring the consumer credit act, credit card companies have their own policy, comes as a credit card protection something that Amex offers regardless of spend

I did say 'mostly think' I avoid using my cards these days - mainly by only buying what I need Your point is of course valid - if a particular card gives you more cover. Cards like Tablets are not all created equally.

Original Poster

steveblackman

Have you even tried to take it back to Argos? If not then do it, stop … Have you even tried to take it back to Argos? If not then do it, stop assuming the worst. I have never had an issue with Argos on refunds ever, I took a Henry Hoover which lost its suction after just under 12 month. Refunded it no questions asked.

Mate, I have to clear the tablet again - factory reset it again before I take it anywhere near Argos. But I am more than happy to have started this thread - as it has highlighted to anyone who reads this thread & has to return a faulty product - what may happen when they walk in the shop ( read new consumer acts rights above) I reiterate - I have walked in a number of well known stores & had terrible after sales service when there's been a manufacturing fault. I have also received brilliant service - but it is often a lottery.

Edited by: "bobbybuilder" 9th Apr 2016

Original Poster

steveblackman

Have you even tried to take it back to Argos? If not then do it, stop … Have you even tried to take it back to Argos? If not then do it, stop assuming the worst. I have never had an issue with Argos on refunds ever, I took a Henry Hoover which lost its suction after just under 12 month. Refunded it no questions asked.

Argoj #18 doesn't appear to agree with you.

bobbybuilder

Argoj #18 doesn't appear to agree with you.

Guess it is hit and miss, I've never had an issue with Argos returns. Depends if you have a **** of a manager serving you.

I am surprised everybody by now does not know about this:-

RETURN FAULTY GOODS

Simply answer 2 or 3 questions on the link and it provides with a summary of your rights and an action plan to seek redress.
It comes from the Citizens Advice Bureau and works every single time. Traders hate it!

Original Poster

steveblackman

Guess it is hit and miss, I've never had an issue with Argos returns. … Guess it is hit and miss, I've never had an issue with Argos returns. Depends if you have a **** of a manager serving you.

Unfortunately - I've had more than my fair share of a**h***s to contend with. That's the retail sector for you..

Original Poster

tardytortoise

I am surprised everybody by now does not know about this:-RETURN FAULTY … I am surprised everybody by now does not know about this:-RETURN FAULTY GOODSSimply answer 2 or 3 questions on the link and it provides with a summary of your rights and an action plan to seek redress.It comes from the Citizens Advice Bureau and works every single time. Traders hate it!

Don't be surprised nobody checks these things out. I have had a pretty good run of late -for not having to return goods due to fault. Human nature usually means we don't go looking for an answer until we need a solution
But thanks for the Citz Advice link - much of what they state has already been mentioned on this thread refund/repair/claims under 6months since purchase. But a formal letter format with legal wording from CA could certainly be of help in some cases - so thanks for
posting.
I will be visiting an Argos in the week - hoping it will go well lol
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants